Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the input. So I guess it's not about the molecular/biology of aging? Its more of a humanities course?

LOL not even close to molecular/biology... it's a little old lady talking about the changes (physical and mental) of aging. Very fun to listen to lol.

The biology dept is not allowed to have interesting courses. It would have probably been a kine course named "Molecular basis of aging" haha.

there are so many reasons about why people get the 'old' characteristic. the only afew ive actually learnt and understood are the whole telomerase and the reactive oxygen speices.. there are obviously more reasons about why people age.. Its such a good idea for a course, Im surprised that there isn`t a course on this.

man we need a biology of aging course at Yorku. Id take it right away.

Biological Timekeeping (I forget the course code, its a fourth year bio course) is probably the closest thing we have to a biology of aging course. I went to the first lecture in January - it actually looked quite interesting. Didn't take it though because I heard the prof was super subjective/brutal on his marking (the exams are all essay based).

The biology dept is not allowed to have interesting courses. It would have probably been a kine course named "Molecular basis of aging" haha.

Ahahahaahaha yupp that sounds about right :P

there are so many reasons about why people get the 'old' characteristic. the only afew ive actually learnt and understood are the whole telomerase and the reactive oxygen speices.. there are obviously more reasons about why people age.. Its such a good idea for a course, Im surprised that there isn`t a course on this.

We did one lecture on the genetics of aging in my Advanced Drosophila Genetics class...mostly on the Reactive Oxygen Species theory though. BUT, there is a paper in that course where you can pick pretty much any topic in Drosophila Genetics (of which aging is well researched) to research and talk about. So you could learn about it there. Just letting you know :)

im pretty sure ROS just shortens your life span, but as for the actual physical part of it, it has everything to do with UV rays.

test 1 10%

test 2 20%

test 3 10%

final 40%

labs 20%

I know the course in general is quite difficult, but how hard are the labs for this course are they seen as a way to bring up your mark if you don't do so well on the tests

I know the course in general is quite difficult, but how hard are the labs for this course are they seen as a way to bring up your mark if you don't do so well on the tests

The average for the first few lab reports is a B but then it becomes an A. I didn't start getting A+'s until the last few labs. But, our lab marks were curved up so I guess the other TAs might be marking easier. Overall, yes they are easy marks but they tend to be a bit of work unlike the chem1000/1001 labs.

LOL not even close to molecular/biology... it's a little old lady talking about the changes (physical and mental) of aging. Very fun to listen to lol.

Would you be able to list the evaluations for the course and are the exams all MC?

If you're taking a program that doesn't include any biology, which courses should you take as prep for the MCAT?

Taking the first year courses in biol,chem and physics. Second year orgo chem, and second year bio chem should cover a large portion~

Course wise:

BIOL1000

BIOL1001

CHEM1000

CHEM1001

CHEM2020

BIOL2020/BIOL2021 [ I heard some people telling me its more biol 2021 than biol2020- just take both in my opinion to deal for some of the medical school prereqs]

I am not sure about the Intro to physio and Anatomy ( both KINE 2XXX) but the upper year yorkies can tell you that.

Biological Timekeeping (I forget the course code, its a fourth year bio course) is probably the closest thing we have to a biology of aging course. I went to the first lecture in January - it actually looked quite interesting. Didn't take it though because I heard the prof was super subjective/brutal on his marking (the exams are all essay based).

Ahahahaahaha yupp that sounds about right :P

We did one lecture on the genetics of aging in my Advanced Drosophila Genetics class...mostly on the Reactive Oxygen Species theory though. BUT, there is a paper in that course where you can pick pretty much any topic in Drosophila Genetics (of which aging is well researched) to research and talk about. So you could learn about it there. Just letting you know :)

How is that Fruit fly genetic course?

I saw that there hiring people for part time tech support ( or something like that) at Steacie library?

if I had to stay in that library for my 4 months of summer..oh my....:P

Full year Bio and full year Chem. Physics is not compulsory but we do learn Biomechanics in 3rd year.

wow really? how come everyone I meet in kin BSc always says that chem is not compulsory, but that they just need x credits of science

wow really? how come everyone I meet in kin BSc always says that chem is not compulsory, but that they just need x credits of science

bio isn't compulsory either... they just need a certain number of credits from the first year core science courses and many choose to go with bio... they could take EATS instead of bio if they wished to

Archived