Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Plants is apparently awful, don't get it. Animals is okay. You can get an A+ in Animals for sure, but the lab component is very time consuming. Ecology is the easiest A in the world, but almost an impossible A+. The TAs will take off marks even if you write down exactly what the answer key says, and they don't really give anything up on regrades. The labs involve walking around in the woods and measuring trees, catching bugs etc. I found that there was very little prep needed for those labs, unlike the lab in Animals which required you to memorize EVERYTHING from the prior week and the upcoming week for the short lab quiz. Animals is a prereq for the upper year physiology type courses (animal phys 1 and 2). I think Animal phys 1 is a prereq for our neurobiology course (which sounds super interesting).

2070 is frustrating if all you care about is your grade. I probably would have gotten an A+ in the course if the strike didn't occur. It is a major time investment, about 10 hours a week of work (6 hours lab, at least 4 hours prelab-post lab stuff). Keep in mind, 2070 is a prereq for a lot of upper year courses, and the department has started becoming very strict on not letting students take courses without prereqs. Off the top of my head, you need 2070 for molec 1, molec 2, immunology, histology, virology, molecular bio of development ... the list goes on. There is no way that you don't get an A in 2070.

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm So getting an A in 2070 is relatively easy? I had upper year students telling me to avoid 2070 if I can, so I am a bit confused haha  :(

Perhaps, handling ~10 hours a week with a full course load would be a bit hectic? 

It's really difficult to meet the 30 credit FCL threshold. Animals, Plants, and Ecology (4 credits each) would make 12 credits, which sums up nicely to meet 30 credits. But if I were to drop Plants and take 2070 instead, then it sums up to 29... Do you know if I need to take another 3 credit to make it FCL?

Thanks for the help, Falling. :D

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm So getting an A in 2070 is relatively easy? I had upper year students telling me to avoid 2070 if I can, so I am a bit confused haha  :(

Perhaps, handling ~10 hours a week with a full course load would be a bit hectic? 

It's really difficult to meet the 30 credit FCL threshold. Animals, Plants, and Ecology (4 credits each) would make 12 credits, which sums up nicely to meet 30 credits. But if I were to drop Plants and take 2070 instead, then it sums up to 29... Do you know if I need to take another 3 credit to make it FCL?

Thanks for the help, Falling. :D

I'm not sure if you'd need another course or not. You may actually need another course, regardless of how things fit together. For reference I took the following this past year:

Semester 1: Animals, Biochem, Microeconomics, Ecology, Psych 1010

Semester 2: cell bio, genetics, advanced biochem, psych 1010, biol 2070.

Anyways, 2070 is easy, but a lot of work. The scientific writing module is difficult because they actively lower your grade to meet the 70% average. I managed to have time for 10 hours a week of research practicum, a pretty heavy course load and my time extensive job when I took 2070. I really hated the course, but mostly because my TA for the first two modules wasn't very good.

Thank you, Falling.

After spending the entire day, I think I will take:

Fall term: Orgo I, Biochem, Macroecon, Animals, psyc statistics (doing a minor in psyc)

Winter term: Orgo II, Cell bio, Genetics, psyc research methods, and Biological basis of psychology

I will probably take BIOL 2070 in the summer after my third year.

Any Yorkies have success with petitioning a grade? I legitimately fucked up a few courses in the past due to severe anxiety issues and my doctors note was pretty meh on my doctors part which I'm assuming is the reason they rejected my appeal.

I want to try for another course (this time not as legitimate but really want these 2 marks off, or if I can get 1 I would be happy with that)

Any Yorkies have success with petitioning a grade? I legitimately fucked up a few courses in the past due to severe anxiety issues and my doctors note was pretty meh on my doctors part which I'm assuming is the reason they rejected my appeal.

I want to try for another course (this time not as legitimate but really want these 2 marks off, or if I can get 1 I would be happy with that)

Might be best to post on **DELETED**.

I am a 2nd degree student at York. I attained a sessional GPA of 3.88 this year with a full course load to stay eligible for Western (with the 3/5 senior level courses and everything). 

The schools I see myself being competitive for are Western, Queens, Dalhousie (?), and Ottawa if I decide to do another year but mostly likely will not. This is because my first degree GPA is a poor one ~2.8, so there is no hope in raising my cGPA for other schools. 

EC's are pretty average -> lots of volunteering, some research, some athletics, leadership/president roles at school clubs, some random stuff here and there. 

Questions: 

1) I know it is not publicly released, but what wGPA should I aim for to be competitive for Queens? (obviously 4.0 is ideal , but would you say 3.9 atleast?)

2) I know Dalhousie looks at the last 2 years, but being OPP for me, would I really have any realistic shot there?

3) Would a MCAT score that meets the western cutoffs (32), be competitive for Queens and Dalhousie as well?

4) Any advice that other 2nd degree students want to pass along? 

Thanks!

First off, congratulations on the GPA for the year. Nice job on the 3.88!

1.Queen's cutoffs are very hard to judge. From past evidence from the forum, it looks like you need around 3.8+. That being said, anything higher is a boost. Shoot for as high as possible! (Which is a given)

2. Dalhousie takes VERY FEW OOP. If you have the money to apply, and have an impressive CV, go for it. The people I've seen getting in have very close to 4.0 GPA, very solid MCAT, and excellent EC's though, as to be expected of an OOP applicant.

3. An MCAT score that hits the Western cutoffs is competitive, HOWEVER, past evidence has indicated that you need a 10 in each section for Queen's, which means you would need to be a little higher than the Western cutoffs. As an OOP applicant to Dal, you NEED a minimum of 30, with 10 in each section (1 can have 9, but you need to hit the total.) From what I've seen, a 32 is actually good enough for an OOP applicant to DAL (see this year's accepted thread). Also, this.

Please note: For the application cycle opening July 1st, 2015 we will accept scores from both the current MCAT exam (as long as it is within the last 5 years) and the new testing format. For the application opening July 1st, 2016 we will ONLY accept MCAT scores written from the new testing format.

Good luck!

I just finished first year, and I am deciding which second year courses to take. If anyone has taken these courses with these profs, I need advice:

-BIOL 2020 Biochemistry Terrance J Kubiseski  or Emanuel Rosonina   

-BIOL 2021 Cell Biology Patricia Lakin-Thomas   

-BIOL 2030 Animals Scott Phillip Kelly    or Andrew Donini   

-BIOL 2040 Genetics  Tamara Kelly  or Arthur Hilliker  

-BIOL 2050 Ecology Christopher J Lortie   

-BIOL 2060 Statistics for Biologists

-Human Physiology I

-GEOG 1000

I just finished first year, and I am deciding which second year courses to take. If anyone has taken these courses with these profs, I need advice:

-BIOL 2020 Biochemistry Terrance J Kubiseski or Emanuel Rosonina

-BIOL 2021 Cell Biology Patricia Lakin-Thomas

-BIOL 2030 Animals Scott Phillip Kelly or Andrew Donini

-BIOL 2040 Genetics Tamara Kelly or Arthur Hilliker

-BIOL 2050 Ecology Christopher J Lortie

-BIOL 2060 Statistics for Biologists

-Human Physiology I

-GEOG 1000

2020 take with kubienski. Records lectures for you.

2021 with dr pat is a little harder but she's really nice and reuses test questions

2030 I took with Scott Kelly. His tests are easy and you never need to attend lecture since he reads off his slides

2040 take with Kelly. Tamara is awesome.

2050 don't take. Lortie is cool but the course sucks. Easy A but impossible A+

First off, congratulations on the GPA for the year. Nice job on the 3.88!

1.Queen's cutoffs are very hard to judge. From past evidence from the forum, it looks like you need around 3.8+. That being said, anything higher is a boost. Shoot for as high as possible! (Which is a given)

2. Dalhousie takes VERY FEW OOP. If you have the money to apply, and have an impressive CV, go for it. The people I've seen getting in have very close to 4.0 GPA, very solid MCAT, and excellent EC's though, as to be expected of an OOP applicant.

3. An MCAT score that hits the Western cutoffs is competitive, HOWEVER, past evidence has indicated that you need a 10 in each section for Queen's, which means you would need to be a little higher than the Western cutoffs. As an OOP applicant to Dal, you NEED a minimum of 30, with 10 in each section (1 can have 9, but you need to hit the total.) From what I've seen, a 32 is actually good enough for an OOP applicant to DAL (see this year's accepted thread). Also, this.

Please note: For the application cycle opening July 1st, 2015 we will accept scores from both the current MCAT exam (as long as it is within the last 5 years) and the new testing format. For the application opening July 1st, 2016 we will ONLY accept MCAT scores written from the new testing format.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. Literally a perfect answer to what I was looking for. Very grateful!

Hey I'm trying to figure out my course schedule as well.

In chem2020/2021 (orgo) do the tests take place during the tutorials like in chem 1000/1001? And is it possible to learn most of the material on your own without going to lectures? I ask because I'm thinking of overlapping the last half hour of an orgo lecture with a tutorial for another class

Psych 1010 and Econ 10xx

If anyone takes biol2020 with kubieski, he uses questions from an online test bank, but sometimes the website goes down. Just google a question from one of his old tests, and you'll find it.

can you please tell me where to find the test bank for 2020. i have kubieski this fall

Deciding between taking 2 psych courses or taking human phys I and II. Benefits of psych courses are that they'll probably be online and physiology seems kinda boring.

3/4th year psych courses are as much work as bio courses, I probably spent 3X more time studying for abnormal than I did human phys I. Abnormal was a lot more interesting though, phys I is like high school biology boring af

3/4th year psych courses are as much work as bio courses, I probably spent 3X more time studying for abnormal than I did human phys I. Abnormal was a lot more interesting though, phys I is like high school biology boring af

That is why I'm hesitating. I have a heavy schedule as is, so I'm leaning towards the physiology courses. I'm also unsure about taking the third year lab course in biochem. I am leaning towards replacing it with population genetics or invertebrate endocrinology