Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

lol welcome to biology @ york. If I could choose I'd do immuno, but it's because I hate writing meaningless assignments just for the sake of writing something, which you'll be doing tons of in micro.

I just switched to Micro. I kept looking at the break from 9:30am to 7:30pm and thinking it would ruin my entire week. 

• 2 weeks later...

How is Gordana Colby for econ 1000 and 1010?

And how is Emanuel Rosonina for biochem 2020?

Thanks!

I've heard Emanuel Rosonina has fair tests and slightly easier tests than the Fall professor (Terry K.). Though it's still doable to get a good mark in either sections you just need to understand and apply for this course; not purely memorization. I personally took it with Mark Bayfield and he is an amazing lecturer! 

Good luck :)

Is anyone here in the Psychology program (major/minor/honours)?

Also may I get anyones feedback on the following courses:

PSYC 3140 - Abnormal psych (Vasanthi Valoo or Jennifer Lewin or Peter P.)

PSYC 3170 - Health Psych (Jennifer Mills or Krista Trobst)

PSYC 3250 - Neuroscience of Behaviour (Shayna Rosenbaum or Dale Stevens)

PSYC 3260 - Cognition (John Douglas Crawford or Norman Park)

PSYC 3265 - Memory (Norman Park or Shayna Rosenbaum)

PSYC 3480 - Psych of Women (Vasanthi Valoo or N. Stuckless)

PSYC 3310 - Psych of Law (Regina Schuller)

Thank you!

Abnormal: Valoo is the easiest, you'll learn the most with Lewin though.

Health: Both are relatively easy (PSYCH courses are though). Trobst supposedly has a slight edge.

Neural Basis of Behaviour: Stevens. Did his postdoc at Harvard, everyone who's taken him I've spoken to loves him.

Cognition: Neither are great. I wouldn't take Park unless you like having quizzes every couple weeks.

Memory: Same. Neither are great. Rosenbaum is supposed to be really terrible, and Park, again quizzes every couple weeks.

Women: Valoo. One of the laziest, easiest professors at York. This is one of the most well known Bird Courses at York. Very boring, feminist, and extremely easy.

Psych of Law: Schuller is supposed to be pretty good. 

Welcome to Premed101! Excited to have another York Psych student!

Hey yorkies,

I'm going to be doing an elective at a community hospital in Toronto and will be staying with a friend who lives near the Keele campus. Only issue is that there's no parking available at his place (which is right near the Keele campus), and street parking is not allowed from 8AM-8PM. I think I'll be okay as most of the day I'll be at my elective, but anyone have any thoughts RE: a good spot to stash my car overnight?

These are my courses. are they good profs and classesfor first year?

how difficult is it for me to maintain a 4.0 during my first year?

thanks

I am psych bsc and I am taking sosc and modr in the summer

chem 1000- hempstead

chem 10001-Demian R Ifa  

bio1000- nvilliac

biol 1001-  Mark Vicari  

PSYC 1010-JUBIS  

PHYS 1420-JERZAK     

thanks

chem 1000- hempstead

chem 10001-Demian R Ifa  

bio1000- nvilliac

biol 1001-  Mark Vicari  

PSYC 1010-JUBIS  

PHYS 1420-JERZAK     

Nicole Niv. is awesome for biol 1000. She's really good at explaining stuff and super nice too.

Mark Vicari is also really cool. For his class I just studied the lecture slides, used the TB to clarify. I loved biol 1001, such a cool course!

thanks

chem 1000- hempstead

chem 10001-Demian R Ifa  

bio1000- nvilliac

biol 1001-  Mark Vicari  

PSYC 1010-JUBIS  

PHYS 1420-JERZAK     

The professor for PHYS1420 is not posted yet, and don't count on it being Jerzak, unless you have received information from the administration indicating otherwise. For the past few years, Anna Matvienko has taught PHYS1420. Jerzak now usually teaches PHYS1800, the physics for engineers class.

Honestly you only need physics for applying to some-->most american med schools and for UBC and Mcgill. No other english speaking canadian med schools require physics IIRC. It is also part of the mcat but is a much smaller part of the new mcat than it used to be. You may consider auditing the course if you can't actually attend it but it isn't absolutely necessary to take.

thanks

chem 1000- hempstead

chem 10001-Demian R Ifa  

bio1000- nvilliac

biol 1001-  Mark Vicari  

PSYC 1010-JUBIS  

PHYS 1420-JERZAK     

You will love Jubis she's a great prof!  However, as ilayh said, I would STRONGLY discourage you from taking all 3 sciences in first year.  I took bio and chem my first year in a Biomed major and physics in my third year.  You can just take it the year or summer before you write the MCAT.  Good luck

Hi! I'm in first year Hons.Biology BSc How do my courses look? People have been telling me that ECON 1000 and 1010 is really easy without any assignments is this true? Also how is computer science 1420 or sth?

redtriangle.gifSC MATH 1505 Cr=6.00 A Term:Y Math. for the Life and Social Sciences
redtriangle.gif SC CHEM 1000 Cr=3.00 B Term:F Chemical Structure
redtriangle.gif SC CHEM 1001 Cr=3.00 P Term:W Chemical Dynamics
redtriangle.gif SC PHYS 1420 Cr=6.00 A Term:Y Physics with Applications to Life Sci.
redtriangle.gif SC BIOL 1000 Cr=3.00 C Term:F Biology I
redtriangle.gif SC BIOL 1001 Cr=3.00 O Term:W Biology II
redtriangle.gif AP ECON 1000 Cr=3.00 B Term:F Introduction to Microeconomics
redtriangle.gif AP ECON 1010 Cr=3.00 O Term:W Introduction to Macroeconomics

Hi! I'm in first year Hons.Biology BSc How do my courses look? People have been telling me that ECON 1000 and 1010 is really easy without any assignments is this true? Also how is computer science 1420 or sth?

redtriangle.gifSC MATH 1505 Cr=6.00 A Term:Y Math. for the Life and Social Sciences

redtriangle.gif SC CHEM 1000 Cr=3.00 B Term:F Chemical Structure

redtriangle.gif SC CHEM 1001 Cr=3.00 P Term:W Chemical Dynamics

redtriangle.gif SC PHYS 1420 Cr=6.00 A Term:Y Physics with Applications to Life Sci.

redtriangle.gif SC BIOL 1000 Cr=3.00 C Term:F Biology I

redtriangle.gif SC BIOL 1001 Cr=3.00 O Term:W Biology II

redtriangle.gif AP ECON 1000 Cr=3.00 B Term:F Introduction to Microeconomics

redtriangle.gif AP ECON 1010 Cr=3.00 O Term:W Introduction to Macroeconomics

I took both economics as my Non-Science Requirements for my biomed degree.  They were really easy...but then again "easy" really depends on the person.  I always loved business in high school and so for me the econ courses were also interesting to learn.  But I would agree, the general consensus is that they are easy.  There weren't any assignments with the profs that I had but it may change depending on who's teaching it.

The comp sci course is called LE/EECS 1520 3.0 and it's mainly just about the history of computers and microsoft word/excel/access.  I mainly found the binary calculations to be a little challenging but it wasn't a tough course at all.  Good luck in your first year!

Thank you Ilayh and PremedToronto! I'm looking forward to attend York!

I have one more question! How do you enroll for the resarch practicum course ? York University told me that the spaces are unlimited for the course but if I add the course through York Passport it says all spaces are reserved. Then I went back and read over the course guideline and it told me to get permission from a professor. I'm really confused :( This course sounds so interesting...

My current understanding is this: 1. Go ask a prof when school starts 2. Prof confirms and fills out a form 3. I take it to the admissions office and enroll for the course. Is this right?

Thank you again!

I have one more question! How do you enroll for the resarch practicum course ? York University told me that the spaces are unlimited for the course but if I add the course through York Passport it says all spaces are reserved. Then I went back and read over the course guideline and it told me to get permission from a professor. I'm really confused :( This course sounds so interesting...

My current understanding is this: 1. Go ask a prof when school starts 2. Prof confirms and fills out a form 3. I take it to the admissions office and enroll for the course. Is this right?

Thank you again!

You can't enroll unless a prof sponsors you. You almost definitely won't find a prof that will take you on, given that you're fresh out of grade 12. Too keen, give it a couple years lol

I have one more question! How do you enroll for the resarch practicum course ? York University told me that the spaces are unlimited for the course but if I add the course through York Passport it says all spaces are reserved. Then I went back and read over the course guideline and it told me to get permission from a professor. I'm really confused :( This course sounds so interesting...

My current understanding is this: 1. Go ask a prof when school starts 2. Prof confirms and fills out a form 3. I take it to the admissions office and enroll for the course. Is this right?

Thank you again!

Haha, don't you attend Western?  :P

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/85081-when-should-i-start-to-volunteer-ecs/