Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Feedback on BIOL 3030: Physiology of Invertebrates with Andrew Donini please? thanks :)

Also, for someone who finds math a little challenging (and quite frankly annoying) how is MATH 1505? Any tips? I am definitely prepared to work hard and it does seem a lot more interesting since it deals with the math in the general field of biology.  

Thank you Ilayh and PremedToronto! I'm looking forward to attend York!

I have one more question! How do you enroll for the resarch practicum course ? York University told me that the spaces are unlimited for the course but if I add the course through York Passport it says all spaces are reserved. Then I went back and read over the course guideline and it told me to get permission from a professor. I'm really confused :( This course sounds so interesting...

My current understanding is this: 1. Go ask a prof when school starts 2. Prof confirms and fills out a form 3. I take it to the admissions office and enroll for the course. Is this right?

Thank you again!

I agree - it's a little too early to be thinking about research practicums lol. But yes later you will need to talk to the professor before enrolling in these type of courses

Feedback on BIOL 3030: Physiology of Invertebrates with Andrew Donini please? thanks :)

Also, for someone who finds math a little challenging (and quite frankly annoying) how is MATH 1505? Any tips? I am definitely prepared to work hard and it does seem a lot more interesting since it deals with the math in the general field of biology.  

Haven't taken BIOL 3030 but MATH 1505 was a complete recap of grade 12 plus some integrals at the end.  There are some application questions relating to biology concepts (i.e. half life) but not much to be honest.

I haven't taken 3030, but friends have said its an easy A+

I agree - it's a little too early to be thinking about research practicums lol. But yes later you will need to talk to the professor before enrolling in these type of courses

Haven't taken BIOL 3030 but MATH 1505 was a complete recap of grade 12 plus some integrals at the end.  There are some application questions relating to biology concepts (i.e. half life) but not much to be honest.

Really, not many application questions relating to bio? They changed the textbook and it looks like it has a high emphasis on bio. 

I haven't taken 3030, but friends have said its an easy A+

Perfect, thank you!! 

Hey Guys 

I already have an undergrad and masters degree from mechanical but I am about to start a kinesiology program. 
I am thinking about taking Bio 1000, Physics 1010, Chem 1000, one math course and another course. 

I transferred some of my courses. I just need to pass 48 kin courses + 6 science course in order to get the degree. My plan is that I apply for the med-schools in Fall 2017 and I am retaking some of my courses in order to increase my GPA. 

Could you please give me an idea about which math courses I need to get? 1013 or 1505?
Do you recommend any prof in bio 1000, Chem 1000 and math?

I am so confused about what should be my fifth course. Since I wanna complete the degree in three years I can pass 90 credits and I need only 54. It does not matter that I get easy courses to increase my GPA. 

That would be great if you can help me. 

Thanks.

Hey Guys 

I already have an undergrad and masters degree from mechanical but I am about to start a kinesiology program. 

I am thinking about taking Bio 1000, Physics 1010, Chem 1000, one math course and another course. 

I transferred some of my courses. I just need to pass 48 kin courses + 6 science course in order to get the degree. My plan is that I apply for the med-schools in Fall 2017 and I am retaking some of my courses in order to increase my GPA. 

Could you please give me an idea about which math courses I need to get? 1013 or 1505?

Do you recommend any prof in bio 1000, Chem 1000 and math?

I am so confused about what should be my fifth course. Since I wanna complete the degree in three years I can pass 90 credits and I need only 54. It does not matter that I get easy courses to increase my GPA. 

That would be great if you can help me. 

Thanks.

For Biol 1000 I recommend Nicole Nivillac. She's very nice and helpful. Also teaches the material in a manner that's easy to understand. 

For Chem 1000 fall term I have professor Hempstead, and in the winter I have prof  Damian R Ifa. Are they okay in getting a high GPA? (Is 8.0~9.0 not too difficult to achieve?)

Thanks for the information. 

How about Andrea Fournier? I have found his score in ratemyprof more than Hempstead. 

Do you know also any easy elective course that I can take for my fifth course? 

thanks.

Thanks for the information. 

How about Andrea Fournier? I have found his score in ratemyprof more than Hempstead. 

Do you know also any easy elective course that I can take for my fifth course? 

thanks.

Oh hey , I was actually asking a question to the York people here too lol. I'm new here too haha.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to take biol 2070, is there any way I can take BIO 3150,Microbiology, without taking that lab course? 

I doubt it. 

Edit: Unless you have a transfer credit of a similar course from another university. Just incase try speaking to the prof. see what h/she says.