Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

To anyone that has taken any BIOL courses at the 3000 or 4000 level,

Which courses did you find most interesting with manageable workload?

All the non-lab 3000/4000 level bio courses are actually very easy, except for Advanced Biochem. You'll get an A+ in Advanced Biochem, but it is a lot of work and memorizing. The rest of the 3000/4000 level courses I took felt like bird courses. In total I took: 

Adv Biochem, Molec 1/2, Immunobio, Macromolecules, Cancer Bio, Reproduction, Cellular Regulation, Human Molecular Genetics, Virology. Got an A in Macromolecules (Something came up before the final), and an A+ in the rest. I'd avoid Macromolecules because its boring as hell. 

Falling, who was your prof for Molec II? I am thinking of taking it with Dr. Hudak, but Dr. Bayfield is also teaching it this year

Scheid. He is my favourite prof at York after Tamara Kelly. I've taken 3 classes with Scheid and they were all awesome. Bayfield is better than Hudak. 

Does anyone know where a relatively normal undergraduate student can apply for scholarships that are solely academic merit based and don't have any racial barriers for eligibility? A lot of the ones on York's website have these ethnic requirements for eligibility and I fit none of them so I was wondering if there are some that I could apply to over the next year or so.

Thanks!

Does anyone know where a relatively normal undergraduate student can apply for scholarships that are solely academic merit based and don't have any racial barriers for eligibility? A lot of the ones on York's website have these ethnic requirements for eligibility and I fit none of them so I was wondering if there are some that I could apply to over the next year or so.

Thanks!

What are you saying? Did you even look at the scholarships pages? It is true that some of the scholarships are based on ethinc background, but the majority of scholarships are based on grades, program of study, and are mostly for graduate/ postdoctoral studies/research.

For some reason, I think that your question, as well as your intentions, are disingenuous, but here's the link to the scholarships page anyway, see for yourself:  The website even provides you with a list of external scholarships that you can find here.

What are you saying? Did you even look at the scholarships pages? It is true that some of the scholarships are based on ethinc background, but the majority of scholarships are based on grades, program of study, and are mostly for graduate/ postdoctoral studies/research.

For some reason, I think that your question, as well as your intentions, are disingenuous, but here's the link to the scholarships page anyway, see for yourself:  The website even provides you with a list of external scholarships that you can find here.

Sorry if I came off as disingenuous! I should've been a lot more clear in my earlier post. I have gone through the academic based scholarships on York's website and I posted here to see if there were other notable ones that could be suggested to me. I have gone through every single one from the database so let me assure you I wasn't trying to make an ignorant post. I have gone through the various faculties and seen their specific scholarships as well. 

Once again, my bad mate. 

No problem Hammy. The internet has made me suspicious.

Hey guys, I've been out of highschool for a while so my science backgroud is spotty. Should I take the 1510 intro courses for physics and mathematics and the intro courses for the other subjects (i.e. chem, org chem, biol,)?

Hey guys, I've been out of highschool for a while so my science backgroud is spotty. Should I take the 1510 intro courses for physics and mathematics and the intro courses for the other subjects (i.e. chem, org chem, biol,)?

My friend is taking the 1510 for physics currently in the summer and says that its very easy and straightforward. He says that he spent 2 weeks on significant digits. It depends on how deficient in science you are really.

My friend is taking the 1510 for physics currently in the summer and says that its very easy and straightforward. He says that he spent 2 weeks on significant digits. It depends on how deficient in science you are really.

Wow, two weeks on significant digits. Seems a bit too easy for me. I'll probably still take it either way. Couldn't hurt. If anything it will just be an easy way to brush up on my fundamentals as well as get an A.

Yes, taking those prep courses are really recommended and should give you a nice refresher.   

Hi all, 

So a lot of the 1st year students who were originally in biomed at York are switching to kinesiology for second year so they can get a higher GPA for med school. Is this the right choice? I really need some suggestions. 

Some info about me: 

- in biomed going into 2nd year

-my first year GPA was 7.6/9 (not that great) 

Knowing that second year is going to be tough, I decided to take a lot of the difficult/time consuming courses during first year summer (currently), including:

- english (prereq for US med)

-organic chem 2020 and 2021

-biol2070

+ volunteering at old age home and at a lab

so that leaves genetics, cell bio, biochem, and stats for 2nd year major courses, and the rest are electives (i have no idea what electives to choose as gpa boosters, the ones I wanted are already full - some suggestions on this would also be greatly appreciated)

I will also be doing a research practicum

and 2nd year summer for mcat prep

If I switch to kin, I'd have to do first year kin courses, plus I read in another forum that very little kin students were accepted to med school (although I have to check on this)

Any suggestions on whether I should switch to kin or continue in biomed? 

Hi all, 

So a lot of the 1st year students who were originally in biomed at York are switching to kinesiology for second year so they can get a higher GPA for med school. Is this the right choice? I really need some suggestions. 

Some info about me: 

- in biomed going into 2nd year

-my first year GPA was 7.6/9 (not that great) 

Knowing that second year is going to be tough, I decided to take a lot of the difficult/time consuming courses during first year summer (currently), including:

- english (prereq for US med)

-organic chem 2020 and 2021

-biol2070

+ volunteering at old age home and at a lab

so that leaves genetics, cell bio, biochem, and stats for 2nd year major courses, and the rest are electives (i have no idea what electives to choose as gpa boosters, the ones I wanted are already full - some suggestions on this would also be greatly appreciated)

I will also be doing a research practicum

and 2nd year summer for mcat prep

If I switch to kin, I'd have to do first year kin courses, plus I read in another forum that very little kin students were accepted to med school (although I have to check on this)

Any suggestions on whether I should switch to kin or continue in biomed? 

Yeah quite a bit of people from biomed make the switch over to bio or kine after first year.  I was one of the few that stuck with it and graduated from biomed.  I can tell you that the true difference is felt when choosing 3rd and 4th year bio credits since that's where the restrictions come into play for biomed.  I would recommend that you go to 352 Lumbers building or go online and get a degree checklist for both biomed and kine and try to map out courses you see yourself taking in the later years.  This will help you decide what it is that you want.

As for electives, apart from taking the two economic courses, all my credits came from taking kinesiology courses (human phys, anatomy, nutrition, exercise phys, etc.) I found these courses to be interesting and not too difficult.  I don't think your statement about very few kine students getting into med is correct, I personally know some myself that got in.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or ask away here for others to chime in as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all York Lions!

I'm entering my first year of York sciences, having transferred from another school and entirely different faculty.

I'm wondering what courses I should take as electives for my first year. 

I currently have

Fall

BIOL 1000

CHEM 1000

PHYS 1420

PSYC 1010

MATH 1013

Winter

BIOL 1001

CHEM 1001

PHYS 1420

PSYC 1010

MATH 1014

I spoke with a SAS advisor who suggested that I take PHYS 1420 in the summer, and take my two courses (6 creds) of Social Sciences and Humanities instead.

I also have transfer credits for Calc 1 and 2 (Math 1013/1014), from courses I took another institution-- they were not 4.0 high.

Do you agree with what the advisor suggested in taking the PHYS in summer? Should I also take the transfer credits for MATH 1013 & 1014? If so, what social science and humanities courses would you recommend?

What's your program? Can you take math 1505 instead of calculus?

I agree, if you could move physics and even perhaps another 6 credits of science to your second year, you should do it... Make your life a little less stressful :P

Good luck and welcome to York! just try your best not to get york'd :P

I'm currently in Bio. I could take 1505, but opt not to given that they are not allowed as pre-reqs to Pharmacy at UT and Optometry at UWaterloo.

I don't understand what it means to be "York'd"?