Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

14 hours ago, audball said:

Hi,

I'm a mature student doing my 2nd UG in Kin, staring this fall. If there's a specific lab or tutorial section you want but it's full, what's the best way of getting into it besides waiting and hoping someone switches out? Email the department or email the course instructor directly? I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Now,  I'd personally email the course director. There isn't anything the department can really do right now in my experience. Honestly, the course director can't always do anything but there are often AMAZING course directors like the aforementioned (in the past few posts) Matt George, who will let you be registered in one section and write/perform lab in another section and transfer the marks. The course director may tell you there's nothing he or she can do, or even tell you to contact the department, but he or she is probably your best bet right now. Just my two cents. Anyone else want to comment?

And as always, if you spot a mistake I've made, please let me know or correct me in a comment. The purpose of this forum is to provide information to students. If I make a mistake, PLEASE prevent me from spreading misinformation! Thanks! 

Hey everyone, 

I was looking into taking 3 upper year (3rd or 4th year) biological science classes a semester for the school year and was hoping you guys would be able to help me put together a list of courses where attaining an 80 or above is easy or really fair (where if i put a reasonable amount of effort in the course I would be rewarded with a good grade at the end).

I have taken biochemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, biology, physics, anatomy, and physiology. My least favourite courses of those were inorganic chemistry and physics.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 2:02 PM, f011235813 said:

Now,  I'd personally email the course director. There isn't anything the department can really do right now in my experience. Honestly, the course director can't always do anything but there are often AMAZING course directors like the aforementioned (in the past few posts) Matt George, who will let you be registered in one section and write/perform lab in another section and transfer the marks. The course director may tell you there's nothing he or she can do, or even tell you to contact the department, but he or she is probably your best bet right now. Just my two cents. Anyone else want to comment?

And as always, if you spot a mistake I've made, please let me know or correct me in a comment. The purpose of this forum is to provide information to students. If I make a mistake, PLEASE prevent me from spreading misinformation! Thanks! 

Thanks for your insight, f011235813! (Sorry for the delayed response)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 3:20 PM, noneed2live said:

has anyone here taken BIOL 3010 (advanced biochem)? If so, does it rehearse the stuff learnt in biochem level 1? I'm wondering if I should take it for mcat review. 

I have friends taking it now. Supposed to be really awesome. Definitely not necessary for MCAT though. CAN WE PLEASE GET A CONVERSATION GOING IN THIS THREAD?!?!?!?! It was so helpful for me in UG, and now nobody comes on here!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I am really nervous about BIOL 2070 because I have only heard bad things about it. Does anyone have any tips for how to do well in this course and get an A/A+? And when do you guys recommend to take this course .. in the summer after first year or during the year?

Also I was thinking about taking phys 1420 during second year to help me for the mcat. Do you guys think my second year will be really heard if I take physics along with the other required bio courses and orgo?

2 hours ago, yorkiepremed23 said:

Hey guys,

I am really nervous about BIOL 2070 because I have only heard bad things about it. Does anyone have any tips for how to do well in this course and get an A/A+? And when do you guys recommend to take this course .. in the summer after first year or during the year?

Also I was thinking about taking phys 1420 during second year to help me for the mcat. Do you guys think my second year will be really heard if I take physics along with the other required bio courses and orgo?

The course itself wasn't bad but as you can expect from the course description, lots of lab reports so more subjective marking = harder to get A+ but not impossible.  I took it in my second year and found that it was a good balance with the rest of my full course load...it's not too heavy content-wise.  But I also do know it's a popular 2nd year BIOL course to take in the summer after 1st year so I can't really say which would be better.  

Same goes for your question about taking PHYS 1420 during the year, it all depends on how comfortable you are with it.  You don't really need it for MCAT if you have some background in it from before like in high school and can just get away with reading the MCAT physics material.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:04 PM, yorkiepremed23 said:

Hey guys,

For Biol2070, I took it in the summer of first year. I highly recommend this, as it is time consuming (but a great course, mostly hands-on). The course is divided into 4: scientific writing, genetics, biochem, cell bio. Scientific writing and biochem modules takes away most of the time, in my opinion. You will get prelab and postlab work. Lectures are at the beginning of the labs. My tip is come prepared. Do your prelab work. I ended with an A, but like premedToronto said, an A+ is difficult but achievable.  For scientific writing, even try going beyond the guideline and look at how published papers are written in the scientific community. When I did my reports, I'd always check out journals on NCBI. Its also a prereq for many third yr courses so if you do take like most others, I opt for summer. You can then go for a lighter elective with your full course load during the yr, and focus on those prereqs. Take BIOL2070 and PHYS1420 during the year, and now your juggling both physics labs and 2070 labs + other courses. Unless your a lab-oholic machine, I wouldn't recommend you doing that to yourself.

As for phys1420, take with Matthew George. Hands down one of the best profs I've had at York. Made the course way more interesting with his in-class demos. In terms of content, sure you don't need it if you took grade 12 physics..question is if you recall everything from grade 12. You can try self-studying with the MCAT physics books. Just remember, not all the content will be tested equally; there are certain topics more likely to show on the MCAT than others. I wrote my MCAT the summer after taking phys1420 during the yr. For me, it was definitely a refresher, and lightened the amount of material I had to focus on when studying for that killer test. 

Last note on this long post, phys 1420 conflicted with about everything. I had to leave part of physics class to make it in time for my orgo 1 class. With that being said, I was able to do well in both by simply practicing and keeping up with material. So you can definitely finish second yr in flying colors if you practice and stay on top of your lectures, while taking those lighter electives. 

Good luck

Hey guys,

Any psch majors at York? I was wondering if anyone has taken 4th year psych courses - are they similar to 3rd year courses or are they mostly research based (if yes then how do profs go about midterms and finals? Do you know if there are any 4th year psch courses that are similar to 3rd year courses? Need to chose courses soon so thought I'd do some research! 

Also if you know any other 3rd non psych courses were an A+ is doable and not subjective, as well as any 3rd year psych courses with testbanks apart from women' psychology, animal psych and Cognition? 

I know I am asking a lot I just am really happy to find people at York on this Forum! Any help is greatly  ppreciated 

21 minutes ago, lauren666 said:

Hey guys,

Any psch majors at York? I was wondering if anyone has taken 4th year psych courses - are they similar to 3rd year courses or are they mostly research based (if yes then how do profs go about midterms and finals? Do you know if there are any 4th year psch courses that are similar to 3rd year courses? Need to chose courses soon so thought I'd do some research! 

Also if you know any other non psych courses were an A+ is doable and not subjective, please do share! Thanks in Advance! 

Was a psych major. Took 4th year psych courses: PSYCH4000 (THESIS), PSYCH4030, PSYCH4050. Much more research based than 3rd year courses. They ARE A+ doable, but you need to put in extra effort as opposed to 3rd year courses.

4030 is A+ doable with Lorne Sugar, but you need to put in a lot of work. 

One of the Neuro ones was supposed to be A+ doable as well. The one that needed Bio basis and Neural Basis as pre-requisites. 

MODR courses are A+ doable, but subjective.

So are some PHIL courses. (Phil1100-Meaning of life for example)

4th year courses are seminars, so they're designed to be different from 3rd year courses.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, yorkiepremed23 said:

Hey does anyone know of any easy courses to take that do NOT have any essays and possibly no presentations either? I really need easy electives for second year to lighten my load but I don't know what to take

Psych courses in general.

PSYC2240-Bio basis of behaviour is usually very easy and all MC/SA tests.

PSYC2130-Personality with Krista Phillips

MODR1770: If with Dan McArthur, no essays or presentations. SA tests only.

Pretty much most Psych courses that are 2000 or 3000 level. Lots of MC only courses to choose from.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:57 PM, yorkiepremed23 said:

Hey does anyone know of any easy courses to take that do NOT have any essays and possibly no presentations either? I really need easy electives for second year to lighten my load but I don't know what to take

Economics is another one, micro and macro.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 5:30 PM, lauren666 said:

Hey guys,
Can anyone please tell me which is easier: Developmental Psychology or Biological Basis of Behaviour? Please and thank you! 1f642.png:)

Both are pretty easy. To be fair, I took Developmental at Glendon because it was a 3000 level course there. Neither will be difficult. Psych courses tend to be fairly easy at York. :) 

I guess if you had to pick, Biological Basis usually doesn't have essays or assignments, although that may have changed. I'd advise checking the course outlines to check. 

http://psyc.info.yorku.ca/undergraduate-program/courses-and-schedules/fall-winter-2017-2018/#squelch-taas-toggle-shortcode-content-1