Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I was pretty conflicted on which one to write as well. May I ask why you decided to write the 2015 one?

There are some schools that have favourable GPA policies for me (non-trad) that will only take the 2015 MCAT (U of Cal). I also don't know if the other schools will change their policies or not. I figured the 2015 may be a better option.

Also, I may do a graduate program if I don't get in my first application cycle, and in that case, I doubt the 2014 will be valid and I'd have to rewrite. I'd prefer to write just once.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the class and the prof is really good. Does a very good job of teaching and is very clear on what he expects us to know and what we can ignore. I got perfect on the first midterm (but so did at least 20 other people). I expect the second to be more difficult.

everyone shoulda gone to york

Haha, I know right?

I honestly think YorkU was a pretty good school in general. Great people, excellent opportunities, and friendly community.

Word of advice to high school students considering YorkU: If you are in Kine, you will have the best time of your 4 years of undergraduate studies but if you are in Biology be prepared to work like a dog in upper years. First 2 years both were pretty good but the last 2 years are night and day for each respective program.Anyways, Fantastic school and i'm glad i chose YorkU.

Guest mmhs12345
Haha, I know right?

I honestly think YorkU was a pretty good school in general. Great people, excellent opportunities, and friendly community.

Word of advice to high school students considering YorkU: If you are in Kine, you will have the best time of your 4 years of undergraduate studies but if you are in Biology be prepared to work like a dog in upper years. First 2 years both were pretty good but the last 2 years are night and day for each respective program.Anyways, Fantastic school and i'm glad i chose YorkU.

Yup Yup York is goood- I'm going into 2nd Year of York KINE next year- many easy courses :D

- Biomechanics (soft physics), research methods (soft), stats (soft), phys 1 (soft), phys 2, and anatomy. I guess only anatomy and phys 2 are the challenging ones that need more work but the others are pretty soft :D

- I'm happy I went with York.

Do you have to write lab reports for phys 1420 (physics for life sciences)?

Also any recommendations for 4th year bio courses?

Hey MeGusta! From what I remember you have to do a prelab and it's kind of like CHEM 1000/1001 where you do your lab report during the lab and hand it in by the end .... and take it with Jerzak if you can, he's the best!!:) :)

So it's enrollment time again and I was hoping for some feedback on any of the following courses. Any help would be appreciated.

BIOL 3155 - Virology

BIOL 4010 - Biology of Cancer

BIOL 4061 - Cell and Molecular Biology of Development

BIOL 4220 - Histology

BIOL 4285 - Human Molecular Genetics

BIOL 4305 - Controversies in the Modern Life Sciences

BIOL 4320 - Vertebrate Endocrinology

BIOL 4370 - Neurobiology

PHIL 3575 - Introduction to Bioethics

PSYC 3140 or PSYC 3170 - Abnormal Psychology or Health Psychology

So it's enrollment time again and I was hoping for some feedback on any of the following courses. Any help would be appreciated.

BIOL 3155 - Virology

BIOL 4220 - Histology

BIOL 4370 - Neurobiology

A friend of mine took Intro to Bioethics and she didn't really enjoy it. She was a philosophy student who was considering a switch to Nursing.

BIOL 3155 - Virology

BIOL 4220 - Histology

BIOL 4370 - Neurobiology

Health psych was literally my favourite course ever, but it was really tough, so if your looking for a GPA booster, that won't be it :P

Abnormal psych is also super interesting and is amazing with Lewin - much better than Goldberg's outline in my opinion, most especially b/c Lewin's final is not cumulate, whereas Goldberg's final is cumulative

I have to decide if I'm going to switch from Chemistry to Biology by tonight. Picking courses later.

If I go to Bio, any recommendations on second or third year courses?

--> if I stay in Chemistry, I have fewer required courses because I have a bunch of transfer credits from my math degree that help me out.

Edit: I'm going to switch to Biology. The prereqs for some of the chemistry courses make the chemistry degree have just as many required courses as Bio, and presumably, the chemistry courses are more difficult.

Hey MeGusta! From what I remember you have to do a prelab and it's kind of like CHEM 1000/1001 where you do your lab report during the lab and hand it in by the end .... and take it with Jerzak if you can, he's the best!!:) :)

Gotcha, thanks

I have to decide if I'm going to switch from Chemistry to Biology by tonight. Picking courses later.

If I go to Bio, any recommendations on second or third year courses?

--> if I stay in Chemistry, I have fewer required courses because I have a bunch of transfer credits from my math degree that help me out.

Edit: I'm going to switch to Biology. The prereqs for some of the chemistry courses make the chemistry degree have just as many required courses as Bio, and presumably, the chemistry courses are more difficult.

Good choice, chem courses suck.

second year:

genetics, biochem, animals and cell bio are all decent. That's written in order of easiest to hardest. The second year courses aren't bad at all (compared to third). Ecology is pretty easy too. Try to avoid 2070 if you can, it's really not worth it.

Try to avoid Amro Zayed for genetics, German Reyes for animals. Nicole Nivilac and Lankin-Thomas for cell bio, Wheaton for biochem and Kelly for genetics are good.

Third year:

do:

Microbiology if you need a lab credit, but it's a ton of work there are literally more assignments than there are weeks in the course. The course itself is really easy though.

Immunobiology's a lot of work but it's not hard to get a good mark in it.

Molec I is relatively easy, I don't know why it has such a bad rep. Easiest third year course IMO.

Molec II (with Bayfield)- also easy-ish.

Process of evolution: easyish

Avoid:

Animal phys I and II

VIROLOGY.

Advanced biochemistry: have you ever wondered if there will ever be a class with so much content that no human mind, let alone your own can learn all of it? Yup, that would be adv biochem. "easy" A+, but your semester will be 90% studying for this class, 10% for the rest. Avoid like plague.

Good choice, chem courses suck.

second year:

genetics, biochem, animals and cell bio are all decent. That's written in order of easiest to hardest. The second year courses aren't bad at all (compared to third). Ecology is pretty easy too. Try to avoid 2070 if you can, it's really not worth it.

Try to avoid Amro Zayed for genetics, German Reyes for animals. Nicole Nivilac and Lankin-Thomas for cell bio, Wheaton for biochem and Kelly for genetics are good.

Third year:

do:

Microbiology if you need a lab credit, but it's a ton of work there are literally more assignments than there are weeks in the course. The course itself is really easy though.

Immunobiology's a lot of work but it's not hard to get a good mark in it.

Molec I is relatively easy, I don't know why it has such a bad rep. Easiest third year course IMO.

Molec II (with Bayfield)- also easy-ish.

Process of evolution: easyish

Avoid:

Animal phys I and II

VIROLOGY.

Advanced biochemistry: have you ever wondered if there will ever be a class with so much content that no human mind, let alone your own can learn all of it? Yup, that would be adv biochem. "easy" A+, but your semester will be 90% studying for this class, 10% for the rest. Avoid like plague.

I spoke with Kelly last semester and she said she's taking the year off from teaching to take some stats classes (she's my favourite prof so I went to her office hours a lot). She told me I should do well in genetics since a lot of it is basic statistics and I have a degree in mathematics.

I want to avoid 2070, but it is required for a lot of the upper year bio classes. I think it is required for molec I, II and micro.

I was thinking about taking advanced biochemistry. I remember everything I read word for word if I've had coffee within 2 hours.

Right now I'm looking at: genetics, psych (first year), cell bio, biochem, animal, plant, ecology, biochem and an elective.

Histology, immunology, 3 other fourth year bios and I think I'd need 1 more bio course in my third year, maybe 2.

I spoke with Kelly last semester and she said she's taking the year off from teaching to take some stats classes (she's my favourite prof so I went to her office hours a lot). She told me I should do well in genetics since a lot of it is basic statistics and I have a degree in mathematics.

I want to avoid 2070, but it is required for a lot of the upper year bio classes. I think it is required for molec I, II and micro.

I was thinking about taking advanced biochemistry. I remember everything I read word for word if I've had coffee within 2 hours.

Right now I'm looking at: genetics, psych (first year), cell bio, biochem, animal, plant, ecology, biochem and an elective.

Histology, immunology, 3 other fourth year bios and I think I'd need 1 more bio course in my third year, maybe 2.

advanced biochem: you don't understand.... it's not reading it's memorizing structures and pathways.

Here are all hte lectures, have a look through. You're going to need to memorize EVERY single slide, every structure, mechanism, name on it.

http://www.yorku.ca/dkwilson/Teaching%203050.html

Here's my favourite lecture (by which I mean the one I hate the most) http://www.yorku.ca/dkwilson/3050%20Week%207.pdf

advanced biochem: you don't understand.... it's not reading it's memorizing structures and pathways.

Here are all hte lectures, have a look through. You're going to need to memorize EVERY single slide, every structure, mechanism, name on it.

http://www.yorku.ca/dkwilson/Teaching%203050.html

Here's my favourite lecture (by which I mean the one I hate the most) http://www.yorku.ca/dkwilson/3050%20Week%207.pdf

I can leave advanced biochem for my last year (third year) since it won't really effect my med school applications.

I need to take 45 biology credits, so far I'm enrolled in 21 for next year, leaving only 24 for my last year (certain amount have to be 4th year). I think it makes more sense for me to go for 21 credits in bio next year, leaving room for more electives since my GPA next year is more relevant to my application.

Hey guys,

Any info on course difficulty for Organic Chem 1 and Biochem 2020? Also, if the course varies with professor, or if it's all the same. I have Rosonina for Biochem.

Thanks in advance.

Try to take Orgo with Derek Jackson. I'm taking Biochem 2020 with Rosonina as well next year.

Archived