Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone taken  PSYC2130: Personality with Krista Phillips, PSYC2240: Biological Basis of Behavior with Neil Weiner or PSYC2020: Statistics with Alistair Mapp? (Phillips and Mapp have good RateMyProfessor ratings, (Mapp's is good, Phillips is OK), Weiner's is pretty bad, but both Biological Basis professors are bad this year.) I've been told that some professors rate themselves on RateMyProf. (Phillips supposedly). Anybody think this might be true?

Has anyone taken  PSYC2130: Personality with Krista Phillips, PSYC2240: Biological Basis of Behavior with Neil Weiner or PSYC2020: Statistics with Alistair Mapp? (Phillips and Mapp have good RateMyProfessor ratings, (Mapp's is good, Phillips is OK), Weiner's is pretty bad, but both Biological Basis professors are bad this year.) I've been told that some professors rate themselves on RateMyProf. (Phillips supposedly). Anybody think this might be true?

LOL some profs rate themselves... well you can only make one rating per prof per IP address soo unless that person has 3 reviews I wouldn't be too worried.

I did bio basis with neil weiner, that class is an absolute joke. Literally went to 1 class (the class where I realized he teaches absolutely nothing and that his tests are all from the textbook). His tests have 1 or 2 questions from videos he shows in class but the rest are straight from the textbook's test bank.

Thanks for your answer. Also, the professor who was supposedly rating herself has almost 200 ratings, so I doubt they're all her own. however, some of the ratings aren't great. She has roughly a 3.4. Good luck with medical school applications if you are applying this year, and good luck with everything.

Thanks for your answer. You think that the test  bank for Biological Basis will help then? Also, the professor who was supposedly rating herself has almost 200 ratings, so I doubt they're all her own. however, some of the ratings aren't great. She has roughly a 3.4. Good luck with medical school applications if you are applying this year, and good luck with everything.

I don't know if there is a test bank circulating for that class but his tests are definitely taken from it because some of his questions were the "practice questions" that came with the textbook and they all had the same style. Also this prof puts zero amounts of effort into this class, he's old and he just doesn't care so I can't imagine him taking the time to make his own exams.

3.4 is actually great for a prof, You'll rarely find anyone above 3.5, especially with a sample size that large.

Thank you!

Anybody have Hempstead for CHEM1000? Is an A+ achievable? They gave us his last year midterms as practice (I found out which of the sections was his last year) and his midterms were REALLY easy! Like so easy, that I was able to do 3/4 of it in 15 minutes and got the answers right to the decimal. And this was just using basic pv=nrt. I'm assuming that the exam is killer and that it will bring marks down, but did anyone get an A+ with him? I'm assuming MeGusta got an A+, but who did you take it with?

Anybody have Hempstead for CHEM1000? Is an A+ achievable? They gave us his last year midterms as practice (I found out which of the sections was his last year) and his midterms were REALLY easy! Like so easy, that I was able to do 3/4 of it in 15 minutes and got the answers right to the decimal. And this was just using basic pv=nrt. I'm assuming that the exam is killer and that it will bring marks down, but did anyone get an A+ with him? I'm assuming MeGusta got an A+, but who did you take it with?

Hah how presumptuous of you but yeah I had hempstead and his tests were relatively easy (although our class average for the first test was like 30% so I don't know how easy it really was). A+ is definitely doable with him, the final exam was actually pretty straight forward they had to bring the class averge up.

Thanks. I saw that the class average for the first test was around 30% every year. But his first test last year was REALLY easy like I said above. I'm assuming a lot of people just don't study properly for the tests. Everyone I know who took Hempstead got A's at least (Now I know you got an A+), so I assume he's much easier than the other professors. I have friends who took Mirza and Pietro last year, and the highest any of them got was a B+. I also looked at their tests and they were significantly harder. Some of Pietro's questions were full paragraphs and some of Mirza's had multiple parts. The only thing that is concerning about Hempstead was that the last 1/4 of the test had actual questions that didn't involve calculations. Although, last years weren't very difficult. (Which tenet of the Kinetic theory of gases supports this gas law...etc.) I assumed that you had gotten an A+ as I have been reading these forums for the past year, and I remembered seeing that you had a 4.0 or close to it. Did you major in biology?

Thanks. I saw that the class average for the first test was around 30% every year. But his first test last year was REALLY easy like I said above. I'm assuming a lot of people just don't study properly for the tests. Everyone I know who took Hempstead got A's at least (Now I know you got an A+), so I assume he's much easier than the other professors. I have friends who took Mirza and Pietro last year, and the highest any of them got was a B+. I also looked at their tests and they were significantly harder. Some of Pietro's questions were full paragraphs and some of Mirza's had multiple parts. The only thing that is concerning about Hempstead was that the last 1/4 of the test had actual questions that didn't involve calculations. Although, last years weren't very difficult. (Which tenet of the Kinetic theory of gases supports this gas law...etc.) I assumed that you had gotten an A+ as I have been reading these forums for the past year, and I remembered seeing that you had a 4.0 or close to it. Did you major in biology?

Hm yeah he's probably easier than the other profs (although maybe not mirza). Pietro's undoubtedly harder although he is a badass individual and you will love his class. Uh yeah chem's chem soo just go with hempstead, he's also the program director so he writes the final exam maybe you're better off getting used to his style of questions. Finally lol you creeper and yeah I'm in biomed

Yeah. Sorry for seeming like a stalker. I've only really read the York forum on here and you seem to be very prominent on it. In Biology, are the third year courses (And even second year courses) significantly more difficult than 1st year Biology, which wasn't difficult? I've been told that some of the third year and even second year courses are really tough. I've seen and heard that second, third, and even fourth year Psychology courses are pretty easy, but I was told that getting A+'s in second and third year biology courses is really tough.

Anybody applying to MD/PHD from York? Has anyone ever applied to MD/PHD from York and if so, did anyone get in? Anywhere in the States or Canada?

I have yet to apply, but I have contemplated applying to MD/PhD programs. Ultimately, I have decided that the time investment is too much for a non trad. I'm 24 right now, I don't think it is worth the time for me. I wanted to do the PhD portion in Epidemiology.

I decided I'd rather do either a PhD in Epi or Medical school, but not both together.

Thanks Falling. What year of York are you in? What's your major? Do you know of any successful or even unsuccessful York MD/PHD applicants? I'm concerned that nobody from York even applies MD/PHD, much less gets in.

I'm in my second/third year. It is a second undergrad, so I'm finishing in 3 years.

Not many people from any university apply for MD/PhD programs, and of those few that do apply, a very small number get in. Given that, it would not be common to meet people who have applied and rarer to meet people who have gotten in. If you have good research experience (probably need a publication or two) and good grades, I am sure you can get in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a degree in anthropology from york university and I am considering a second degree

1) in biomedical science or

2) biophysics from york.

3) Science and technology studies.

4) Psych. 

Which of the four is a stronger program in terms of classwork that pertains to medical practice? 

I am considering a second degree because I am non competitive in terms of my undergrad GPA. 

Archived