Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Right. But York wouldn't allow tenured full time profs to continue classes even if they wished to do so whereas at UofT, activities can pretty much go on uninterrupted and the university remains open (they just can't have TAs doing work or whatever)

They probably figure that such a large amount of classes would be cancelled, that it makes sense to simply cancel classes. York also has a policy on crossing picket lines, stating that no one will be held responsible for not crossing a picket line - U of T doesn't have such a policy.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they gonna post the decision tomorrow? Our biochem prof was saying March 3rd is the deadline. 

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/02/26/midnight-strike-deadline-looms-for-teaching-assistants.html

"At York, some 3,700 teaching assistants and contract faculty in CUPE 3903 will strike Tuesday if talks over the weekend fail to produce a deal."

Your prof was right :P

I still have a problem when TA's say the $15K they receive is below the poverty line. You knew what the $ was going in - no one forced you into graduate work AND since when does being a student entitle you to a living wage? Get a PT job like UG's or non-students if you need more money to live.

I'm not sure if they're allowed to take part time jobs. If graduate students just stopped for some reason, research would probably die.

Grad students are free to do whatever they want with their spare time. If grad students stopped then we'd be forced to have two professorial streams - those who actually teach and those who do research.

You  have to remember this is my second UG that's 17 years removed from my first in which I had professors who taught several classes a semester, did outside research and where the majority weren't on contract and who didn't have an abundance of graduates TA'ing courses like we do now. I paid FAR less in tuition then and the product (quality of education) was far better.

Grad students can't just take on part time jobs. They don't have time for that (at least from what I've seen in my lab). They pretty much work a full time job being a grad student. From 8 am or whenever they wake up until night time they are busy with TA work, their own course work, or research. Most have very little free time. As an undergrad I can heave a sigh of relief when my exams/midterms are over but grad students are continuously working. They should at least be compensated enough to be able to live off whatever they're making and pay tuition considering they're contributing much more than other workers who still manage to make more than the poverty line.

Grad students are free to do whatever they want with their spare time. If grad students stopped then we'd be forced to have two professorial streams - those who actually teach and those who do research.

You  have to remember this is my second UG that's 17 years removed from my first in which I had professors who taught several classes a semester, did outside research and where the majority weren't on contract and who didn't have an abundance of graduates TA'ing courses like we do now. I paid FAR less in tuition then and the product (quality of education) was far better.

Some schools have rules that prohibit grad students from taking on part time work for greater than 5-10 hours a week ; I don't think they have time for even that much.

We're already seeing some graduate programs creating a separate stream - Immunology at U of T is introducing a course based stream that doesn't offer a stipend. I'm assuming the goal of such a stream is to teach research skills and push people into biotech/pharma since the GTA has a crapload of biotech/pharma companies.

U of T is officially going on strike.

The bargaining team passed a preliminary deal so that they could extend the deadline long enough to get the union members to vote.

They voted no.

I guess we'll be having our winter term exams in july again lol

Lol wow. Where is the source for this btw? I'm not seeing it on CUPE3902's site

Archived