Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs before invites go out

All graduate programs require an Honours degree, no?

Nope. I personally know at least 2 people who have Major's who are doing their Masters right now. The key distinction is that at Western (and possibly some other schools) their Major programs have almost no specific upper level courses required, whereas their Honours programs have lots of upper level requirements.

By contrast, here at UBC the difference is pretty small. That's why they explicitly define what the "equivalent" is on their website. I'd speculate that the vast majority of students with Major degrees from other schools qualify under this criteria.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Queen's USED to be transparent... not anymore apparently.

I also don't think you need to go with a mark-based cutoff system in order to be more transparent. Queens could have done something similar to U of Calgary, and post the specific procedure they use to evaluate ECs (http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%20final%20Aug%202_0.pdf)

Your ECs will come up in the interview most likely which is a perceived large portion of your total score they calculate for admissions.

Ideally if you meet the cutoffs and have a fairly good interview... chances of being accepted are high. Or so I've been told...

Considering that Western has a closed-file interview, you will have to bring up examples from your ECs during the actual interview in order for them to consider. If you don't sell, then the adcom won't know. I think this is a more useful way to assess the quality of ECs (as in, did the ECs provide you with experiences that will be useful for your medical career)

Considering that Western has a closed-file interview, you will have to bring up examples from your ECs during the actual interview in order for them to consider. If you don't sell, then the adcom won't know. I think this is a more useful way to assess the quality of ECs (as in, did the ECs provide you with experiences that will be useful for your medical career)

I couldn't agree more with this statement. This way makes the quality of your ECs less subjectively assessed.

Wowo, my heart's beating so fast!!!

Admissions Requirements

For applicants from outside Southwestern Ontario, the MCAT minimums for the 2011-12 application cycle are as follows:

Biological Sciences: 10

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal Reasoning: 11

Writing Sample: O

The minimum GPA is 3.70

Some flexibility is given to applicants from Southwestern Ontario. In the 2011-12 application cycle, a minimum score of 8 in any one section of the MCAT is acceptable as long as the combined score for Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Verbal Reasoning is 30 or more. The minimum score for the Writing Sample is O.

The minimum GPA is 3.7 as for applicants outside Southwestern Ontario.

I suspect we'll hear about interviews tomorrow then, but maybe that's just wishful thinking haha

Last year the interviews/rejections went out on Feb 4, which was a Friday roughly between the time of 12 pm and 2 pm. So here is to hoping that the same thing happens tomorrow

it still says on their website "Admission to the Doctor of Medicine Program is highly competitive and possessing the minimum requirements does not ensure an interview or offer of admission. "

I know it has been addressed multiple times on this forum that meeting cutoffs=interview, but WHY would they put that on the website... don't they know that pre-meds are neurotic??

Archived