Premed 101 Forums

Support group to motivate each other to study

thehockeykid

I want a +95% average, and I am sure you are the same. This thread is to motivate each other to stay on track and on top of school work.

What Have I done so far this semester

-review lecture notes everyday

-stay on top of school work (practice questions)

-start my essay asap

-read the textbook readings before class, i should also read lecture slides too!!!

-understand why something happens

-quit my varsity sports team (I really just want to study all day)

-pack a lunch and dinner for study sessions (i usually study at home since it is more confortable with a better chair and desk) but today I am staying on campus because I have to meet someone late at night on campus.

Below are two tips from the student success center at UWO I am citing.

1) DON’T FALL BEHIND ON CLASS MATERIAL

Why: Review and repetition of course material is crucial for memory. Successful students accept the reality that more effort spent each week on keeping up will mean less time and stress when exams come!

How: Set a weekly schedule with planned times to do tasks necessary to stay caught up. Preview the lecture topic before class. Read the text soon before or right after the lecture. Do the practice problems right after the lecture. Make your course outline your best friend, and if it doesn't show you topics, readings, or problems, ask immediately!

2) STUDY TO UNDERSTAND

Why: University level exams require you to apply the information you have learned, not just regurgitate what you have memorized. Successful students realize that it takes effort to understand concepts right away, but this effort will lead to better exam results.

How: Be active as you study. Write out notes in your own words. Try to connect and make your own examples of concepts. Ask yourself questions as you study, most importantly, WHY? Why is this an example of__? Why is this step needed to solve the problem

Edit: For other uwo students check out the student development center for learning skills presentations

http://www.sdc.uwo.ca/learning/index.html?presinfo

However I keep on clicking the for a schedule and it doesn't work...Anyways I will be at the Jan 18 event. “Learn to Thrive,

Not Just Survive, In University. This is not a meet and greet unfortunately. BEST OF LUCK!!!

Study everyday!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it is worth - for some courses, texts only need to be read if you don't understand something in the lectures, if you need clarification, i.e., if the exam is based on the lectures, then it may be inefficient on a time management basis to devote time to learning the material in the texts. And continuous review of material learned reinforces your reterntion and recall.

I never wanted a 95%+ average, lol. The law of diminishing returns really comes into play once you hit the the mid 3.8's.

Sooo true. IMO the effort needed to go from an 85 (3.9) to a 90 (4.0) isn't worth it. 4.0's are nice to have, but not when it's damaging my social life and interfering with other courses.

http://getcoldturkey.com/

^ THIS. If you block all the sites you frequent, then you'll have nothing left to do BUT study! :P

I'm seriously considering this.

Having a very difficult time getting back into the swing of things so I an contemplating installing this PLUS giving my fiance my ipad to take to work with her AND telling her to take the HDMI cables from the TV.

This way I am left with absolutely no options. Well, my options are to study or clean and being a male, studying is a much better idea hah

I'm seriously considering this.

Having a very difficult time getting back into the swing of things so I an contemplating installing this PLUS giving my fiance my ipad to take to work with her AND telling her to take the HDMI cables from the TV.

This way I am left with absolutely no options. Well, my options are to study or clean and being a male, studying is a much better idea hah

I bet you'll end up cleaning anyways lol!!

Don't fall behind and study to understand certainly are my 2 most important rules. (and I still want 95% in my courses even if it doesn't really matter anymore.. )

In my opinion, and I'm not in med, you don't need to give up your social life to get good grades. It's all a matter of balance. Your reward is to go out and have fun if you do everything that needs to get done. If you don't, you don't get to go out that weekend.

All throughout my undergrad I played varsity and was involved in a couple of clubs on campus as well as volunteered on the side AND had a normal social life, and my grades didn't suffer. Actually, they suffered once I decided to cut everything out of my life because I was miserable.... So then I just went back to my old ways of enjoying life and having a bit of fun along the way.

I actually truly believe social life helps you do better in school. But that's just me...

In my opinion, and I'm not in med, you don't need to give up your social life to get good grades. It's all a matter of balance. Your reward is to go out and have fun if you do everything that needs to get done. If you don't, you don't get to go out that weekend.

All throughout my undergrad I played varsity and was involved in a couple of clubs on campus as well as volunteered on the side AND had a normal social life, and my grades didn't suffer. Actually, they suffered once I decided to cut everything out of my life because I was miserable.... So then I just went back to my old ways of enjoying life and having a bit of fun along the way.

I actually truly believe social life helps you do better in school. But that's just me...

So true.. you HAVE to find a balance!

Don't take yourself to seriously, just work hard when you need to and enjoy life when you can.

Honestly if I have to choose between having a mid to high 80's average but actually enjoying my 4 years of undergrad, as apposed to being miserable but attaining a 95, I would pick the former. You only live once.

thats just me though..

I study all day, I went to the library today, and already people are down in the cubicles studying. 95%!!!!!

I want the 95% percent. I want to be 1/2 kids the prof mentions that got perfect in orgo. I want to be the one with the NSERC. I WANT TO BE NUMBER #1

Update post:

If anyone is in my class today while studying I came across an acronym to study purines and pyridines. I learned it in biochem but after that week of cramming i just forgot it so

purine is: girls are pure and I know it has 2 rings since i read it from the textbook

pyridines: cut (cytosine, uracil and thymine)

it is definitely possible to get a 95+ average with a social life. Not a crazy go out every night social life, but definitely enough to maintain close friends (not "kinda" friends, they die away) and have a S.O. and volunteer. It depends how motivated you are and you kind of have to choose which relationships are worth maintaining (everyone needs some friends) and which are merely superficial and can be easily sacrificed. I enjoyed my time in undergrad :) (but not as much as I enjoy med ;) )

I wish i didn't have to sleep so i can study more still so much more to do.

And the person who said make mind maps, it is a pretty sweet idea i did it for genetics for the topic of eukaryotic chromosomes today. mind mapping really shows the linking between topics, though i have to make a good copy of it since an 8 1/2 '' by 11'' is not big enough. I am thinking of stapeling two sheets of paper so i will have more room to make notes

and i am also not going to that seminar, i think it takes too much time to walk from the buildings and unpack all ur study stuff.

Update post:

If anyone is in my class today while studying I came across an acronym to study purines and pyridines. I learned it in biochem but after that week of cramming i just forgot it so

purine is: girls are pure and I know it has 2 rings since i read it from the textbook

pyridines: cut (cytosine, uracil and thymine)

just remember that pyridines have y in their name and purines don't. you, of course, have to remember that uracil and thymine "do that weird thing" (ie are "related" or whatever the proper term is), but ya. and... i guess you have to remember how to spell them...?

edit: i also used to remember, basically, "opposites". pyridine > purine (in terms of length, if you're counting number of letters in the word). remember opposites because pyridine is the longer word but is the smaller molecule. then vice versa for purine.

I'm being ambitious enough this term where I want to end with a term average of 85%. I've been kicking it pretty good so far, but there is always that one day thats a curve ball to mess up your study plans. Today was that day. It was -38 outside, the bus was late and then broke down, then add a car that wouldn't start for work this after resulting in tow to a shop for repair. Not a good day at all. /rant.

there is no career so important in life that you must give up everything to attain it. Not even medicine (gasp!)

You are so so wrong. :eek: I am an example of having done exactly that to get into medical school. :) I would do it again in a hearbeat. :P The course of my entire life has been changed forever solely through my own choices and hard work.

Marks aren't everything people. There is more to life.

Learn to play the game.

I totally agree with this, it seems like school just keeps taking more and more time as it goes on, and it's supposed to get worse later. So make sure to use your earlier years to have as much fun as possible while still maintaining your marks. If you can't find balance early on you'll have a lot of trouble balancing your life when things get tougher. Make sure to spend time with friends and family and just enjoy your life.

make sure to use your earlier years to have as much fun as possible while still maintaining your marks.

Easier said than done. My fun was restricted to break time plus enjoying my ECs/volunteering & colleagues. My ECs were artistic and athletic endeavours and volunteering I loved and it helped people. So, all was good.

If you can't find balance early on you'll have a lot of trouble balancing your life when things get tougher. Make sure to spend time with friends and family and just enjoy your life.

Med school keeps me busy, however, I have set aside one day for family and still have time for ECs and volunteering. We each make our own choices.

Archived