Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets 2011-2012

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks bud! I've read so many websites by now that everything is a big moosh in my head haha!

So i guess GTA is getting first just as a coincidence? because it is by email right?

Has to be something like that... Deborah has said many times that they send out the invitations as they review the files, not in any specific order.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they like to send invites to people who are near the GTA for the first round because they don't get as much notice to plan their travel, and for those of us coming from further away, later interview dates allow for more travel planning time

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they like to send invites to people who are near the GTA for the first round because they don't get as much notice to plan their travel, and for those of us coming from further away, later interview dates allow for more travel planning time

interesting - but it would still have no impact on your chances at the school.

Now I should put on my moderator hat :) - please keep this thread just to announcing the status of things. It makes it easier for those later searching things. Feel free to create a new thread though!

Rejection

GPA (weighted or cGPA?): 3.76 cGPA

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 11/12/14/Q

Year of applicant and UG/Grad ? undergrad, 3rd year of second degree

ECs: hospital volunteering, work at daycare, recreational sports

There's no surprise here; I should have taken 5 courses per term!

Rejection

GPA: 3.7 cGPA (not sure of weighted due to altered course sequence)

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 10/11/11/R

Year of applicant and UG/Grad ? 4th year, graduated (finished in 3.5 years in December, hence messed up course sequence)

ECs: hospital volunteering, varsity dance team, intramural sports, exercise rehab clinics, pre-med exec

Time Stamp 10:30 am

Rejection

GPA (weighted): 3.9

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 10/9/11/Q (30Q)

Graduated in June 2011

ECs: a variation of things

Disappointed, I really don't understand what these schools are looking for and it is really starting to piss me off

Regrets today.

GPA (weighted): 3.93

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 13/11/12/Q (36Q)

Current fourth year undergrad

ECs: Research, clinical, leadership, international work, etc.

Just a word of support for everyone who received regrets today. I applied States-side concurrently this year and was accepted to Johns Hopkins -- so don't feel that a U of T rejection means you're non-competitive or that you won't be a good physician. Good luck everyone!

Rejected

CGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 14/11/14 Q

Year: 3rd year undergrad

EC: Lots of volunteer, hospital experience, tutoring, intramurals, soccer, 2 research publications and shadowing.

Time Stamp: 10:30

Bummed out a bit but the competition this year was stellar and I shall try again next year.

Rejection!!!

cGPA is 3.79 (wGPA a bit higher)

MCAT (PS 12/ VR 9/ BS 10/ W P)

Graduated with Honours, now completing a post-bac.

Standard ECs: hospital, tutoring, research conferences...

I figured Toronto was a bit of a long-shot, but 0/2 interviews so far is not doing me any good for morale. A more clear admissions process would do students some justice at least in knowing why we're not being called rather than being left in the dark!

Regrets

3.9+ weighted gpa, 14/11/15/S, 4th year traditional applicant, variety of fairly diverse and committed ec's, 2 summers research in organic chemistry and immunology, currently enrolled in a 4th year thesis project in immunology, u of t student specializing in immunology and major in organic chemistry.

Applied with a top heavy list of schools stateside and accepted at 3/5 interviewed schools (one was a fluke...I think...but still).

judging by the current interview status among my friends, I'd say that the braindrain will be especially bad this year.

Invite/Rejection: Rejection

GPA (weighted or cGPA?): 3.99 unweighted

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 10/10/14/O

Year of applicant and UG/Grad: 3rd Year Undergrad

ECs - Hospital volunteering, lots of tutoring for a long time, various other volunteering such as food banks, cultural festivals, a summer job as a canvasser(maybe i knocked on the door of the person reviewing my file?), and involved with badminton for a couple years

Interview date: not this year :(

Hey guys, please keep all discussion here. This thread is exclusively for posting stats so that people can rapidly skim through it and get an idea of what's going on. Please don't give moderators the additional work of shuffling posts over to the discussion thread because they've been doing that everytime the stats threads get cluttered.

Cheers

Rejection

3.76 cGPA

MCAT 11/9/14/O = 34O

4th year undergrad

ECs: a bit of research, lot of volunteer tutoring, volunteering in research labs, student club exec, average experience of organizing fundraisers and community cleanups, shadowing neurosurgeons

Interview date: I wish I had one

Hey guys, please keep all discussion here. This thread is exclusively for posting stats so that people can rapidly skim through it and get an idea of what's going on. Please don't give moderators the additional work of shuffling posts over to the discussion thread because they've been doing that everytime the stats threads get cluttered.

Cheers

Please and thank you.

There's really no reason why there was over 30 posts of non-stats related discussing in this thread.

Rejected

GPA: 3.97 unweighted, 4.00 weighted

MCAT: 14 PS / 14 V / 14 BS / S writing

ECs: research heavy, leadership, mentoring, volunteering

Essay: Most of my interviewers thus far commented on it?

Graduating this year.

Having interviewed at many top American schools (and been accepted), I now know the true meaning of "holistic admissions" and how it goes both ways. Adios, U of T.

Received Invite earlier yesterday. Will post info when I get home.

----------------------------------------

Invite

4th year undergraduate

Undergrad OMSAS cGPA: 3.92 ( No idea what the weighted is, but it should be higher)

MCAT: 12/11/12Q

EC: hospital volunteering, research volunteering, nserc, honors thesis project, some other small stuff

Interview Date: Feb 19th, 2012

Time stamp: 4:34PM, Feb 1st, 2012

Invite MD/PhD

GPA: Weighted - ~3.8

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W) - 9/10/9/Q

Year of applicant and UG/Grad ? - Graduated with Masters (graduated a few months ago)

ECs: 2 papers published, 3 in submission, 2 in preparation, invented a scientific piece of equipment with a paper on it/website, multiple international science talks including 2 podium presentations, multiple volunteering overseas i.e. building orphanages/houses, varsity team placing first is OUAs, head of multiple clubs, 1 year of volunteering in hospital in radiology, multiple clinical placements in hospitals with spinal cord patients, etc. etc. [very strong ECs in my opinion]

Interview date: March

Regrets

2:26pm EST

Grad applicant- not overly productive- 2 conferences, 1 paper in prep

GPA: 3.3, Grad GPA 4.0

MCAT: 11/11/10/R

ECs: My main strength, almost 1000 hrs at crisis centre (extensive involvement), board member for not-for-profit, long time youth soccer coach/referee, extensive involvement in local research community (also composes most of my employment history). Lots of others. Thought my essay was reasonably strong. I believe it was the GPA/low publication number that did me in. Just thrilled to have an interview at Queen's- best of luck to everyone interviewing at U of T!!

Regrets 2:26 pm

4th year undergrad

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 9/10/11 S

ECs: 4 years varsity hockey, 5 years professional hockey, 2 years cancer research (1 paper), hospital volunteering, coaching youth athletics, undergraduate thesis, rehabilitation volunteering, neighborhood outreach program etc.

Thought the essay would've been one of my stronger points. I guess there is always next year.

Good luck to everyone else!

Archived