Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets 2011-2012

Completed BSc (Biochem) and MSc (Neuropharm)

cGPA: 3.28 (not eligible for weighting, but met the 3.0 GPA requirement for grad students)

MSc GPA: 4.0 (not used for GPA calculation)

MCAT: 11 BS (may have been a 12, can't remember), 9 VR, 11 PS, O WS (no flags)

Productivity: Fairly productive, 2 co-author publications, 1 first-author under review, 12 abstracts with poster presentations (most first author), 3 graduate awards, etc.

ECs: Average, see above for research stuff, TAship, music, etc.

Essay: Honest essay about past experiences that led to my interest in medicine. Friends in UofT med said it was strong.

Comments: This was my last chance for an interview this year. Sadly, went 0/4. At least I made it to the file review, although I'm pretty sure my low GPA killed me. Currently working towards a 2nd UG, so the good news is I get to finish my current degree! I'm looking forward to applying next cycle as I've spent the past year improving every aspect of my app :) Congrats to everyone with an interview! Best of luck!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invite/Rejection: Regrets

GPA (weighted): 3.5

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 13/09/11/P

Year: Master Graduate

ECs: Above Avg. Prestigious volunteer awards. Government work experience in healthcare. 1 first author pub. Several abstracts accepted to national and international conferences plus presentations.

Time stamp: March 16, 10:47am

Got interview invite last year so kinda disappointed to hear the bad news this year. I guess last year was really my only shot to get into UofT?

Hey mike,

So sorry to hear about the bad news today :( . I was wondering of they let you know in the email that you did receive a full file review or not? I'm just curious as I'm still waiting and I'm hoping that could mean I've made it to full file review. Thanks a lot!

Completed BSc (Biochem) and MSc (Neuropharm)

cGPA: 3.28 (not eligible for weighting, but met the 3.0 GPA requirement for grad students)

MSc GPA: 4.0 (not used for GPA calculation)

MCAT: 11 BS (may have been a 12, can't remember), 9 VR, 11 PS, O WS (no flags)

Productivity: Fairly productive, 2 co-author publications, 1 first-author under review, 12 abstracts with poster presentations (most first author), 3 graduate awards, etc.

ECs: Average, see above for research stuff, TAship, music, etc.

Essay: Honest essay about past experiences that led to my interest in medicine. Friends in UofT med said it was strong.

Comments: This was my last chance for an interview this year. Sadly, went 0/4. At least I made it to the file review, although I'm pretty sure my low GPA killed me. Currently working towards a 2nd UG, so the good news is I get to finish my current degree! I'm looking forward to applying next cycle as I've spent the past year improving every aspect of my app :) Congrats to everyone with an interview! Best of luck!

First one of the day!

Regrets:

GPA (weighted): 3.81 (before weighting but i did qualify so i have no idea what it was)

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 13/10/13/Q

Year: 4th UG

ECs: Avg - Above Avg. Worked in residence, national champion, instructed english, karate, badminton, tonnes of clinical stuff.

Time stamp: March 19, 9:24 am

Regrets:

GPA (weighted): 3.89 or thereabouts

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 10/12/11/Q

ECs: Above average IMHO. Lots of research (both basic and clinical), leadership positions, huge breadth of activities

I think it had to have been either my essay (which I didn't think was that bad but maybe that's just me) or my LORs (more likely). Sigh.

Hey is there anyway people can mention when sent in their application as well. I'm trying to figure if there is an order to this madness. For example, I sent mine in like the day before the due date and I still haven't heard. Just wondering if maybe others heard earlier because they sent their application in earlier?

Regrets, 9:25 AM

wGPA - 3.99

MCAT - 13/12/14 Q

4th year UG (at UofT, St. George)

My last reference letter got in the week after the October "deadline".

ECs - Hospital volunteering, intramural soccer, steady part time job for >4 yrs, volunteering at that job for 4 years prior to getting paid, 1 summer research, starting UG thesis at time of application, tutoring, sports teams in high school.

Essay - A current first year student read over it prior to submitting, said it was great.

References - 2/3 knew me for >4 years

Just do the opposite of what I did and you'll be golden, folks.

Regrets, 9:25 AM

wGPA - 3.99

MCAT - 13/12/14 Q

4th year UG (at UofT, St. George)

My last reference letter got in the week after the October "deadline".

ECs - Hospital volunteering, intramural soccer, steady part time job for >4 yrs, volunteering at that job for 4 years prior to getting paid, 1 summer research, starting UG thesis at time of application, tutoring, sports teams in high school.

Essay - A current first year student read over it prior to submitting, said it was great.

References - 2/3 knew me for >4 years

Just do the opposite of what I did and you'll be golden, folks.

can't believe they did this to you, especially you graduated from UOFT (very hard to get high GPA...) maybe it is your essay...

all my references were submitted after october deadline i think. It is not the issue.

Regrets:

GPA (weighted): 3.9ish

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 10/9/10/R

ECs: Avg - Above Avg. Medical first response volunteering, hospital volunteering, president of pre-med club, social justice exec group member, many clinical practice awards (nursing degree), nursing home job, research assistant jobs

Essay: Thought it was a good, outlined my reasons and preparations for being a physician.

oh wellllll.

Regrets (9:30am)

GPA: 3.97 (weighted was a 4.0)

MCAT: met all cutoffs

I'm just stunned. For four years, I envisioned myself at UofT. I knew their program inside out. I spent more time on the UofT essay than the rest of my app combined. I tried to show that I was well rounded and well accomplished. And I sincerely believed I was just as good as the other people from my school that got an invite. I always followed the blog/twitter/website so closely. I always dreamed of posting the good news in the "rejected/accepted thread". I always wanted to live in toronto. Several of my friends currently at UofT med told me I had a good shot. To get rejected pre-interview (with a fricken 4.0) really hurts. I'm stunned right now.

After all these months, it ends like this. And it seems that today, they had an issue with high GPAs. Virtually everyone who posted rejections today had 3.9+. I guess thats the reward for working so hard.

The worst part is, I now feel like I'm not that great of an applicant. Maybe I'm not ready/meant for med school. I tried so hard...

Sorry for the rant. Good luck to those still waiting!

Regrets

MCAT: 37R

GPA: 3.83 (not weighted)

ECs: Average by UBC standards

It's amazing how many high stats people got turned down for an interview today. Their admissions officers must be monkeys throwing darts.

I got 5 interviews in other Canadian medical schools, so don't let U of T get you down, people!

4th year UG

MCAT: 11-8-12-S

wGPA: 3.96

ECs: Research (one paper being submitted for publication, 3 abstracts presented in the US, Canada, Milan, one I will be presenting in San Jose end of April); research project at university; co-president of a University club; 3 years work with autistic children; hospital volunteering; life-long athlete + intramurals at University

essay: honest and creative IMO; reviewed by former member of admissions committee

Timestamp: 9:25AM March 19

UofT is my dream school so today's news is a shame. Congratulations to all those with invites, it's a phenomenal accomplishment in and of itself. All I can do is keep my chin up and hope to join you someday in the future :)

Graduated May/2011, currently a research assistant

MCAT: 33Q (9 VR)

GPA (unweighted): 3.85

ECs: Research in 2 fields, children's soccer coach & soccer player, tutor in children's hospital for 5 years, medical aid service to Tanzania (legit, well researched canadian organization), canadian social advocacy work, jobs during undergrad, NSERCs, teaching swimming lessons to kids with disabilities.

essay: Absolutely solid - I read >4 successful students essays before writing mine, and once completed I had it read by many others (physicians and current students) who all said it was more than excellent. It got me interviews elsewhere where I had worse odds.

Timestamp: 9:25AM March 19

I really thought this would be the year for UofT. Im really upset about this rejection and agree with the posters above that the wait until now did give me some (false) hope that I had a chance. At least the wait is over - and for so so many of us today, its nuts.

Good luck to those of you still waiting - I hope you all get in because after this crazy wait you deserve it!

Was rejected from the MD/PhD program. Not sure whether or not I'm still in the running for the normal MD program (haven't heard back from them yet). If anyone could clarify this, i would appreciate it

Stats:9B,9P,8V (really should have rewritten it this summer)

GPA ~3.75 undergrad ~3.9 M.Sc.

Finished M.Sc. (Immuno)

Thought I had some pretty good EC (won some awards for them in undergrad). Lots of UG research,as well as 2 journals and 1 book chapter during my M.Sc.

Essay was ok i think.

time:3:28pm

Again, if anyone can clarify the whether this means i was rejected from the normal MD program as well i would appreciate it!

Regrets 2.50pm

4th year undergrad GPA 3.82 unweighted (not qualified for weighing)

MCAT 11/10/11 Q

ECs: Various. Ridiculous amount of research, 4 conference presentations (1 being international), videography, Red Cross, 3 club exec positions, two papers in writing, wrote a book (attempting publication), scholarships/awards, a few minor things. All of this was done in two years because I was forced to skip first year and went straight into second year of uiniversity. I just had enough time to breathe during those two years in between all those ECs. I quite literally did my best and if that's not enough then I'm not going to blame myself.

Essay: thought it was good

Congrats to this years interviewees :)

Archived