Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets 2011-2012

Your file review is done by 2 faculty and 1 student from UofT Medicine.

Just putting my own hypothesis out there, that this "panel" is given the task of picking the best 2 applications from 10. Or something like that!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an UG's point of view, I think it's fair that they don't disclose their methods. Already, so many people are volunteering at the hospital and doing EC's they don't want to, because it'll make them better candidates for med. If you disclose the process, wouldn't all of those people just jump ship to everything that admissions are actually looking for?

Med seems to want people who would truly enjoy doing this for the rest of their lives and would make good doctors, not those who do the minimum of what's required just to get in.

From an UG's point of view, I think it's fair that they don't disclose their methods. Already, so many people are volunteering at the hospital and doing EC's they don't want to, because it'll make them better candidates for med. If you disclose the process, wouldn't all of those people just jump ship to everything that admissions are actually looking for?

Med seems to want people who would truly enjoy doing this for the rest of their lives and would make good doctors, not those who do the minimum of what's required just to get in.

Agreed. By not disclosing, they can be more sure that they are getting the type of person they want, rather than somebody pretending.

13:39

made my day!

4th year

OMSAS GPA 3.94

MCAT:above cutoffs

Reference: two very strong from research sup + community member, one okay one from prof

Essay: Worked for a looong time on it. Nothing phenomenal, but certainly well written

ECs: research since 1st year (no pubs), some hospital vol, varsity athlete for the past 2 yrs, part of founding exec member of a school charity group for 3 years

Congratulations! And BTW, your Essay was excellent, much more than well written, just ask Alex. :)

I was talking to a friend today and they told me that those who received there interviews early on for Toronto were the top ranked students, since Toronto works on a rolling basis. Can anyone "confirm" this :)

The admissions blog says that regardless of when you are invited to an interview, your chances are equal for admission - if they invite you, they will give you due consideration.

I think this is contradictory to the people in the first week having being "top ranked?" Maybe not though, maybe they just consider getting an interview to be equal chance.

I was talking to a friend today and they told me that those who received there interviews early on for Toronto were the top ranked students, since Toronto works on a rolling basis. Can anyone "confirm" this :)

Not sure about this...but what if people who are invited early on had to change their interview date to a later day? Are they automatically "lowered" on the list?? :eek:

False.

For the future, consider who your sources are before believing what you hear. It doesn't help to post things here and perpetuate myths and false speculations about the application process, especially when the answer to your question has already been answered many times on the forum, and on Deborah's blog.

Edit: evidenced by the false speculations of the two posters above me.

Since U of T uses a holistic process, I don't think there's any way they can rank all the candidates before giving any interviews. The initial batch of rejections generally consists of not meeting cutoffs or flags.

I think they have a pile of applications, and literally take the first one - and if they are deemed worthy of an interview, given one. The last person in the pile could easily be their best candidate - I believe there were a few people working on their PhD who heard in the last week of March - and I doubt they were the "lowest ranked applicants".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived