Premed 101 Forums

I plan on doing my undergrad in Ottawa, and I was wondering

Will studying in a postsecondary institution outside of the maritime provinces have any adverse effects when it comes to applying into and MD program in the maritimes?

For information, I'm currently a senior in highschool at a New-Brunswick secondary school. I'm a permanent residence of the province. I've applied at Mt. Allison in Biology, and got accepted, but I would like to take an undergrad degree in either Biomed or Health sciences at the U of Ottawa.

Both of those degrees seem more interesting than a simple Biochem or Biology degree, and I know the career choices I have if I don't get accepted into medicine will be more interesting with those degrees (especially the Biomed).

I was wondering about this, since DAL has 30 seats for NB students, and MUN, 10.

It's probably a stupid question, but one worth asking nonetheless.

Will studying in a postsecondary institution outside of the maritime provinces have any adverse effects when it comes to applying into and MD program in the maritimes?

For information, I'm currently a senior in highschool at a New-Brunswick secondary school. I'm a permanent residence of the province. I've applied at Mt. Allison in Biology, and got accepted, but I would like to take an undergrad degree in either Biomed or Health sciences at the U of Ottawa.

Both of those degrees seem more interesting than a simple Biochem or Biology degree, and I know the career choices I have if I don't get accepted into medicine will be more interesting with those degrees (especially the Biomed).

I was wondering about this, since DAL has 30 seats for NB students, and MUN, 10.

It's probably a stupid question, but one worth asking nonetheless.

You would still be a maritimer. Not to worry.

Wonderful. I do feel we're privileged in NB, we have the best chances after Ontario and Quebec. Wouldn't want to throw it away in order to study in the institution of my choice.

You are good to go - the only caveat is that you have to be taking a full-time course load. Not a big deal for most people.

p.s. you have it way better than people in Ontario!

Nice to see that you are planning all this already. I wish I was on top of all these nitty-gritty details back in high school.

I totally agree. Two bits of unsolicited advice, Lifeasha:

1. Keep an eye on each school's residency requirements and overall application requirements as you go through undergrad. You don't want any changes to catch you off guard at the last minute.

2. Start getting medically-related experience as soon as you start your undergrad (or sooner, I just don't know if it will count on your application). If I had been on top of things like you are when I was in high school I would have started right then. So much can stem from medically-related experience that starting early will really help you to stand out in a few years time.

• 1 month later...

Archived