Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box 2012!

Looks like we're gonna have to call it a night team.. I don't think anything is coming in tonight :(

Do you guys actually think that the Mar 3 and 4 interview spots are full? It didn't seem like there were that many posts for those days, but it does seem a little late to be sending out many invites early next week with only a few days notice.

I really think that they sort files. I find it hard to believe that there are many files that have not even been looked at yet. I bet they have "reject", "Invite" and "maybe" piles. And I think the maybe pile is full of UGrad apps, as UGs are the ones reviewed first. If they have already responded to close to half of all applicants, and the Grad applicants are notified later than the UGrads, then this would be the case.

If this weren't the case, they would now have 1500 apps to sort through for 5 interview days, with the bulk of those apps being Grads. Does this seem wrong?

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you guys actually think that the Mar 3 and 4 interview spots are full? It didn't seem like there were that many posts for those days, but it does seem a little late to be sending out many invites early next week with only a few days notice.

I really think that they sort files. I find it hard to believe that there are many files that have not even been looked at yet. I bet they have "reject", "Invite" and "maybe" piles. And I think the maybe pile is full of UGrad apps, as UGs are the ones reviewed first. If they have already responded to close to half of all applicants, and the Grad applicants are notified later than the UGrads, then this would be the case.

If this weren't the case, they would now have 1500 apps to sort through for 5 interview days, with the bulk of those apps being Grads. Does this seem wrong?

It seems silly to me to not send out rejections if they are 100% positive they are going to reject some people. Of course, we have no idea how many people have already been rejected, since rejectees tend not to post here.

It seems silly to me to not send out rejections if they are 100% positive they are going to reject some people. Of course, we have no idea how many people have already been rejected, since rejectees tend not to post here.

They are continuously sending out invites/rejections, albeit very slowly. This suggests that they are indeed reviewing files, and sending emails as soon as they get results.... and wondering about the process is only going to stress us out even more. If you are meant to get an invite/rejection, you will get one in due time- try not to think/analyze too much and just keep hoping :)

but it looks like a lot of us will really be waiting into March... :)

Hello all,

Could you let me know if you've heard of someone getting an interview for the weekend of March 24-25th? I'm asking because I had requested that if (a big IF) I'm lucky enough to get an interview, it would be for that weekend since I have one with Ottawa on the 24th, and I'm flying in from Europe (I'm here doing a post-doc year). They told me they'd "write it down" but everything seems so up in the air....

Anyways...if you could tell me whether those dates have been given out yet, I'd be grateful:)

Hello all,

Could you let me know if you've heard of someone getting an interview for the weekend of March 24-25th? I'm asking because I had requested that if (a big IF) I'm lucky enough to get an interview, it would be for that weekend since I have one with Ottawa on the 24th, and I'm flying in from Europe (I'm here doing a post-doc year). They told me they'd "write it down" but everything seems so up in the air....

Anyways...if you could tell me whether those dates have been given out yet, I'd be grateful:)

AFAIK no, but knowing this won't affect you anyway. If they come to your file and want to interview, they'll shift you to a March 24 date as you requested (assuming they accomodate). I don't think they would necessarily review your file earlier than would otherwise occur because of your preferred interview date.

AFAIK no, but knowing this won't affect you anyway. If they come to your file and want to interview, they'll shift you to a March 24 date as you requested (assuming they accomodate). I don't think they would necessarily review your file earlier than would otherwise occur because of your preferred interview date.

THEY SHOULD review the file earlier b/c of the circumstances (cost of flights), however I agree they probably will just read the applications in the order given and if they come across yours before march 24th and decide you get an interview they would make it march 24th.

THEY SHOULD review the file earlier b/c of the circumstances (cost of flights), however I agree they probably will just read the applications in the order given and if they come across yours before march 24th and decide you get an interview they would make it march 24th.

Yea it comes down to how much they're willing to accomodate your circumstances. If they're really nice, you get to hear earlier. :) good luck! I do hope they're considerate of travel expenses.

It is an MMI-esque question: How can one balance individual needs (cost + time) vs. a limited remaining set of interview dates and a lot of anxious, waiting individuals who would be glad to have earlier review/interview on that day (especially given the fact that April 20/21 interviews may conflict with exams and March dates may conflict with other interviews)? Can Deborah make this decision without the informed consent of everyone who is in the same process? Some of us can rule out dates because we have advanced schedules, but others are really not sure about how busy they will be on some of the weekends (ex. exam schedules are not out everywhere) Sure practicality is important, but is fairness important too? If this individual is given an interview on which he/she had to make a second trip, will it really be that much of a burden?

In the US, a lot of individuals send in-area e-mails and score interviews that way - it works for them and the school, but it leads to priority review and reduces the number of spots for everyone else. A lot of these in-area e-mails are lies, too.

Yea it comes down to how much they're willing to accomodate your circumstances. If they're really nice, you get to hear earlier. :) good luck! I do hope they're considerate of travel expenses.

It is an MMI-esque question: How can one balance individual needs (cost + time) vs. a limited remaining set of interview dates and a lot of anxious, waiting individuals who would be glad to have earlier review/interview on that day (especially given the fact that April 20/21 interviews may conflict with exams and March dates may conflict with other interviews)? Can Deborah make this decision without the informed consent of everyone who is in the same process? Some of us can rule out dates because we have advanced schedules, but others are really not sure about how busy they will be on some of the weekends (ex. exam schedules are not out everywhere) Sure practicality is important, but is fairness important too? If this individual is given an interview on which he/she had to make a second trip, will it really be that much of a burden?

In the US, a lot of individuals send in-area e-mails and score interviews that way - it works for them and the school, but it leads to priority review and reduces the number of spots for everyone else. A lot of these in-area e-mails are lies, too.

HAHAHA...this sooo sounds like an MMI question. Well done. But let me respond before anybody begins to panic. If one had to truly analyze the question, it would mean having to collect data on the economical backgrounds of all applicants to assess the "burden". Like that, all people, regardless of their social status, would have equal chances to even attempt the medical school application process (which many don't simply because of cost).

In my case this is important because of financial reasons as well as time off from work. They have written on their website the fact that they try to accomodate for people living far away (based on the address given on the OMSAS website). But in no way does this affect one's chances of getting an interview or getting into medical school, which is the most important aspect of all of this madness.

Thank you all for responding. I hope the best for all of us and I think we would all make good doctors. Good luck:)

I have two exams on April 20th, so it'd be a great joke if mine is on that date! But I'll worry about that if I'm lucky enough to even GET an interview :P

But in a way, if we want to see the positive in this, it's kind of nice to still have hope for an interview well into this semester (if you're in school) or if you're working on a graduate degree, PhD or working. We still have a chance in late March to hear from uoft, whereas most of us got the axe or an invite from other school in late Jan/early Feb.

By the way, I'm just wondering how this works, if uoft is sending out invites and rejections as they review their files, is it possible for them to "run out" of invite spots? How does that work, do they have a flexible amount of invite spots, and they're just VERY careful about who they invite?

They will add interview spots if they get a higher than expected number of competitive applicants. Deborah said this somewhere, sometime ago. Hence why they keep insisting that knowing the number of invites/rejections that have already gone out do not influence the review of your own file in anyway.

Thats exactly it!! This is why I never really bought the whole idea of going through applications one at a time and putting in a invite/reject pile.

Going along with what you said, what if early on they see 20 in a row with 4 gpa great everything and than the 21st application is 3.9 with good essay etc. and they dont take that application because its not really up to the mark. Lets say that everyone after has 3.0 (hypothetically!!!) ...well guess what..you have just rejected that guy with 3.9.

I dont know, to me it seems like a bad way to do it. Its luck of where your application falls in the batch at that point. and about reviewing applications as they get it, I had everything in a couple weeks before Oct. 3rd deadline. Still havn't heard. Not complaining, but the process (in the way UofT discloses it) doesnt seem legit

Thats exactly it!! This is why I never really bought the whole idea of going through applications one at a time and putting in a invite/reject pile.

Going along with what you said, what if early on they see 20 in a row with 4 gpa great everything and than the 21st application is 3.9 with good essay etc. and they dont take that application because its not really up to the mark. Lets say that everyone after has 3.0 (hypothetically!!!) ...well guess what..you have just rejected that guy with 3.9.

I dont know, to me it seems like a bad way to do it. Its luck of where your application falls in the batch at that point. and about reviewing applications as they get it, I had everything in a couple weeks before Oct. 3rd deadline. Still havn't heard. Not complaining, but the process (in the way UofT discloses it) doesnt seem legit

Fortunately, though, the competitiveness of the applicant pool doesn't change that much from year to year. I think I remember it being said that they know what an applicant who is worthy of an interview looks like when they see the file. However, to account for the subtle variation that does occur, I think they sort the files and create a "maybe" pile. These "maybe" apps get reviewed later after they know what the entire applicant pool looks like (obviously I am just speculating).

Fortunately, though, the competitiveness of the applicant pool doesn't change that much from year to year. I think I remember it being said that they know what an applicant who is worthy of an interview looks like when they see the file. However, to account for the subtle variation that does occur, I think they sort the files and create a "maybe" pile. These "maybe" apps get reviewed later after they know what the entire applicant pool looks like (obviously I am just speculating).

VERY TRUE. Also, I have a question to throw out to you guys...do you think all the march 4th interviews have been given out? very few people have posted about getting them...do you think they will be sending out more invites early this week?

It would make a great start to the week to find out you have an invite so soon. Maybe one plus of a later interview date is that it's less time to fret over your performance until you hear back from admissions? The idea of a 'maybe' pile makes sense, but who knows how it works... I do enjoy a good speculation session though, it passes the time :D

VERY TRUE. Also, I have a question to throw out to you guys...do you think all the march 4th interviews have been given out? very few people have posted about getting them...do you think they will be sending out more invites early this week?

The vast majority of decisions don't get posted on pm101. When 600 rejections went out, I think about 12 were posted here? So I think it's safe to say that there is some chance of not learning about invites even if some go out (unlikely but possible).

The vast majority of decisions don't get posted on pm101. When 600 rejections went out, I think about 12 were posted here? So I think it's safe to say that there is some chance of not learning about invites even if some go out (unlikely but possible).

this is disheartening

They will add interview spots if they get a higher than expected number of competitive applicants. Deborah said this somewhere, sometime ago. Hence why they keep insisting that knowing the number of invites/rejections that have already gone out do not influence the review of your own file in anyway.

I remember seeing this in the comments section of the current interview blog. So it does bring some light to those who are still waiting!

But with that said, as another poster has pointed out, UT knows well enough when an application has potential for interview invites. If you take a look at their admission statistics, the number of interviews in the last 4 years has been hovering around 520-530. Slightly below the 550-600 estimate given at the moment. So unfortunately, I think the upper limit estimate of 600 probably already accounts for unexpected number of competitive applicants. What's important to remember, however, is that the estimate isn't a hard cut off! They will keep reviewing files and sending invites even if the limit has been meet (or that's what is said in the blog).

So, all in all, just hang in there! It's tough. Really. It is. But we'll make it through!

this is disheartening

the truth, though

I remember seeing this in the comments section of the current interview blog. So it does bring some light to those who are still waiting!

But with that said, as another poster has pointed out, UT knows well enough when an application has potential for interview invites. If you take a look at their admission statistics, the number of interviews in the last 4 years has been hovering around 520-530. Slightly below the 550-600 estimate given at the moment. So unfortunately, I think the upper limit estimate of 600 probably already accounts for unexpected number of competitive applicants. What's important to remember, however, is that the estimate isn't a hard cut off! They will keep reviewing files and sending invites even if the limit has been meet (or that's what is said in the blog).

So, all in all, just hang in there! It's tough. Really. It is. But we'll make it through!

Yup, it's not likely they will suddenly have an extremely competitive applicant pool and have to vastly increase the number of interview spots. I just like the fact that, given UT is rolling invite based, each application is judged on its own merit.

the truth, though

Yup, it's not likely they will suddenly have an extremely competitive applicant pool and have to vastly increase the number of interview spots. I just like the fact that, given UT is rolling invite based, each application is judged on its own merit.

I don't really agree with that.. I think the flaw in the rolling basis is that you get a case of "cool we're aiming to interview ~200 more people" which even if its subconscious makes the grading of files harder than before. As spots fill, people who may have been slightly more competitive than someone who got an interview earlier, will have to be rejected because they need to fill those last spots with the "Best" that they have in front of them.

I don't really agree with that.. I think the flaw in the rolling basis is that you get a case of "cool we're aiming to interview ~200 more people" which even if its subconscious makes the grading of files harder than before. As spots fill, people who may have been slightly more competitive than someone who got an interview earlier, will have to be rejected because they need to fill those last spots with the "Best" that they have in front of them.

Positive thinking: alternatively, it may be "we still need to interview another ~300 people" leading to a more permissive evaluation.

Also, consider the number of people making decisions. Are they all aware of how many invites/rejections have been sent out? Blinding them to that sort of information would make the process more fair and we simply don't know the exact details with respect to their admissions mechanism to make an educated guess.

All in all, I think the system is relatively fair given the massive constraints already imposed on them. There will always be some drawbacks. I much prefer UT's holistic approach over, say, Western's "hard cut off" approach where a single extra question wrong on the MCAT can disqualify you.

Also, consider the number of people making decisions. Are they all aware of how many invites/rejections have been sent out? Blinding them to that sort of information would make the process more fair and we simply don't know the exact details with respect to their admissions mechanism to make an educated guess.

All in all, I think the system is relatively fair given the massive constraints already imposed on them. There will always be some drawbacks. I much prefer UT's holistic approach over, say, Western's "hard cut off" approach where a single extra question wrong on the MCAT can disqualify you.

I doubt the individual reviewers have direct knowledge of the numbers sent out etc. There would no logical reason to tell them after all.

Archived