Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box 2012!

Wow, someone got an invite today, I hadn't realized they also send out invitations (and presumably rejections??) on weekends too!

Are you sure? Deborah tweeted JUST this morning that invites/regrets won't be sent over this weekend as they are busy conducting interviews.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure? Deborah tweeted JUST this morning that invites/regrets won't be sent over this weekend as they are busy conducting interviews.

Ladybug posted in the invites/regrets thread with a timestamp from this afternoon. I'll quote below:

Time stamp: March 3rd, 3:39pm

Invited!

2-yr Msc

wGPA: 3.65

MCAT: 7,10,10,Q (PS/VR/BS)

Productivity (I'm providing a lot of info for the other grad hopefuls out there): Have one small pub from undergrad, and one submitted from my grad work, and another in prep (all first author), 5 abstracts published (all first author), 6 posters and 4 talks at national and international level (also invited to a talk internationally), CIHR, travel grants, graduate academic awards, was a TA

References: used all six!

Extracurricular: numerous long term commitments (typical stuff) med related and non-med related, volunteer awards

This is my first interview so I am super excited!

Deborah's own words THIS MORNING (Source: Her Twitter Account)

Well, maybe ladybug was somehow a one-off email or something. But that is odd. Maybe there was some sort of miscommunication between Leslie and Deborah?

Doesn't really make that much of a difference, I s'ppose. The rest of us are all still waiting and hoping, and we'll hear when we hear.

*Hope*

(and congrats to ladybug for the invite)

ye, a lot of the recent invites also went out to individuals who were flagged with regards to the MCAT. Since I am not flagged, and my GPA is pretty good, I am starting to think that my file has been looked at and unfortunately did not make the cut (I hope this is not the case). However, as always, not everyone will be able to make the 23-25 March dates and more invites to replace these individuals have to come out. We are not at the 2 week mark yet for the next interview weekend, so maybe there will be more invites as review progresses over the course of the next week. Perhaps I am being too optimistic for my own good :(

As we approach the end of March, and more of us become victims of the 'Coombs Massacre' - I believe it would be appropriate to change the name of this thread to 'Dread Box 2012!'

touche

when I hadn't heard anything back in January, I sort of had this nonchalant attitude where I was like "oh there are still plenty of interview dates remaining, no need to worry too much"

but now that there could be as few as 2 interview dates (April slots) remaining, I am far more nervous than ever

Oops - I actually got my interview on Friday March 2nd, not on the 3rd. I was looking at the wrong day on my calendar when I wrote it, but I have since edited my post so that it reflects that. Sorry for the confusion!

Good luck everyone! Keep the hope alive!

Oops - I actually got my interview on Friday March 2nd, not on the 3rd. I was looking at the wrong day on my calendar when I wrote it, but I have since edited my post so that it reflects that. Sorry for the confusion!

Good luck everyone! Keep the hope alive!

haha, that explains a lot. Thanks for letting us know! and congrats again :)

ye, a lot of the recent invites also went out to individuals who were flagged with regards to the MCAT. Since I am not flagged, and my GPA is pretty good, I am starting to think that my file has been looked at and unfortunately did not make the cut (I hope this is not the case). However, as always, not everyone will be able to make the 23-25 March dates and more invites to replace these individuals have to come out. We are not at the 2 week mark yet for the next interview weekend, so maybe there will be more invites as review progresses over the course of the next week. Perhaps I am being too optimistic for my own good :(

As we approach the end of March, and more of us become victims of the 'Coombs Massacre' - I believe it would be appropriate to change the name of this thread to 'Dread Box 2012!'

Haha...I am one of the flagged ones (damn VR), and yet I'm worried for the same reason--I received nothing while some of the flagged (but qualified) applicants received invites yesterday :( I can picture my file thrown in the rejection pile, waiting for Deborah on Monday morning...the lengthy wait gives a sense of false hope :(

I am starting to get a little nervous now that there is only a limited number of interview dates left though I can't help feeling they are going to create more weekends throughout the month of April. Doesn't anyone else find it weird that they go from the March 24th weekend to the April 20th weekend? I think that if they feel they have more good applicants they will use the weekends in between the 2 dates listed above... just speculating and trying to keep the hope alive! Don't stress out too much guys, only 4 weeks of waiting left!

I am trying not to be a Debbie Downer (or maybe I should say Deborah Downer), but we should try to be realistic at this point. The time in between the two weekends is an effective method to reduce conflicts between exams and interviews. We try to think that there are good and bad applicants, but everyone who applies to a school like U of T has to be reasonably smart, and the difference between the worst and the best cannot be that great.

Although - to bring hope - the number of candidates who have not heard yet has to be quite small, so in a pure statistical sense - we are probably in a better position than we were in at the start of this whole shebang (i think that is the right word).

I am starting to get a little nervous now that there is only a limited number of interview dates left though I can't help feeling they are going to create more weekends throughout the month of April. Doesn't anyone else find it weird that they go from the March 24th weekend to the April 20th weekend? I think that if they feel they have more good applicants they will use the weekends in between the 2 dates listed above... just speculating and trying to keep the hope alive! Don't stress out too much guys, only 4 weeks of waiting left!

I feel so frustrated about this whole process. I am 90% sure I'm in the rejection pile cause I'm a grad student and requested the March 25th weekend, which seems full. I've wanted to do UoFT medicine for the last 6 years. I've even gotten a PhD in cancer research for crying out loud....8 publications (2 first author in decent journals, impact factor from 5 to 7.5, but this depends on the lab you're in rather than how dedicated you are), hospital volunteering for years with terminally ill patients, ECs filled till the 45th spot on the application, cGPA (undergrad from UofT) of 3.9. MCAT: 8 on verbal but according to Deborah that's OK. SIX reference letters. I have NO IDEA how I could've improved more. How random is this??? Anyways, when I get the rejection letter I'll tell u more. (Sorry, had to rant)

Everyone, please keep in mind that you're applying to medical school. I can guarantee it will be more stressful than this whole process. It worries me how some of you are so hard on yourselves and obsess over this blog! The reality is we are all great applicants but they don't have enough spots for us all. UofT is doing whatever they can to carefully select who they perceive as the best applicants each round, but it cannot be easy. If you really want it, keep applying and it will happen for you.

I'm starting to think pm101 is not good for the mental health of some the applicants. People constantly compare themselves to other successful and non-successful applicants and start a downward spiral, trying to guess what UofT has up their sleeve. I totally see the value of this blog as a resource of information and a support network but people are starting to lose sight of the bigger picture - life.

My grandma always said: "if you come out alive, you're doing alright." Enjoy life, it doesn't last long! :)

I feel so frustrated about this whole process. I am 90% sure I'm in the rejection pile cause I'm a grad student and requested the March 25th weekend, which seems full. I've wanted to do UoFT medicine for the last 6 years. I've even gotten a PhD in cancer research for crying out loud....8 publications (2 first author in decent journals, impact factor from 5 to 7.5, but this depends on the lab you're in rather than how dedicated you are), hospital volunteering for years with terminally ill patients, ECs filled till the 45th spot on the application, cGPA (undergrad from UofT) of 3.9. MCAT: 8 on verbal but according to Deborah that's OK. SIX reference letters. I have NO IDEA how I could've improved more. How random is this??? Anyways, when I get the rejection letter I'll tell u more. (Sorry, had to rant)

Don't give up hope yet! You still have another week to find out about the March 25th weekend. And by the sounds of it you are definitely going to get an interview. Best of luck to you!

^ that's dedication right there! Two questions:

1) did you get accepted?

2) did your exam go ok?

1) I did not get accepted. I'm sure the interview played some part in that, though I wouldn't blame it on my unfortunate schedule.

2) I finished undergrad with a good average, so I guess it went well.

The funny part is that on the exam I wrote before rushing to the airport I forgot to answer a question that was on the back of the last page... My prof followed me into the hallway, I realized what I had done, and proceeded to answer the question orally. I don't think I lost any marks, as there were only 5 questions on the exam, and I know I scored above an 80. However, he may have dropped everyones worst question.

Also, I didn't do a great deal of preparation for my UT interview, as I was completing my thesis and studying for exams in the weeks leading up to the interview. But, I didn't feel underprepared while being interviewed.

Don't give up hope yet! You still have another week to find out about the March 25th weekend. And by the sounds of it you are definitely going to get an interview. Best of luck to you!

How sweet of you, thanks a lot. Sorry for all the ranting and raving ppl.

Everyone, please keep in mind that you're applying to medical school. I can guarantee it will be more stressful than this whole process. It worries me how some of you are so hard on yourselves and obsess over this blog! The reality is we are all great applicants but they don't have enough spots for us all. UofT is doing whatever they can to carefully select who they perceive as the best applicants each round, but it cannot be easy. If you really want it, keep applying and it will happen for you.

I'm starting to think pm101 is not good for the mental health of some the applicants. People constantly compare themselves to other successful and non-successful applicants and start a downward spiral, trying to guess what UofT has up their sleeve. I totally see the value of this blog as a resource of information and a support network but people are starting to lose sight of the bigger picture - life.

My grandma always said: "if you come out alive, you're doing alright." Enjoy life, it doesn't last long! :)

Maybe you're right. We should all come down. I just went to the gym and destroyed myself for a good half hour but now I feel fabulous. You should all try the same thing!

Maybe you're right. We should all come down. I just went to the gym and destroyed myself for a good half hour but now I feel fabulous. You should all try the same thing!

Demanda, you don't have to convince anyone here that you're an excellent candidate and deserve to go to U of T. You're extremely accomplished and have a lot going for you as a med applicant and as a person. This process is stressful for everyone, but I can imagine it gets worse with each passing year. U of T gets thousands of applicants every year and just the fact that you're still standing is a compliment in and of itself. All you can do is be patient and proactive while you wait your turn, it will surely come! Keep doing what makes you happy and don't stress about whether you get in this year, next year, or the year after - in 10 years it won't make a difference whatsoever! All your experience thus far will only make you a better physician. People try to rush into med right after (or during) UG and, personally, i'd rather not have a 24 year old doctor.

Med school acceptance does not define you, don't let it determine your self worth.

Just for some perspective, my prof was accepted into first year med at U of T last year. This is after an UG, grad, phD and 2 years of teaching.

I hope everyone had a restful, stress-free weekend and I wish you all the best of luck over the next few weeks! I'm a sitting duck just like the rest of you :)

Lots of great comments here for those of us still waiting. I completely agree that this forum does make us go a little crazy and stirs a bunch of mixed emotions in all of us: hope, anxiety, discouragement, jealousy, and so on. These past few weeks have made me go through that cycle, as U of T is my last hope during this application cycle; while I try to tell myself that my application is not as competitive on paper as other applicants, I can't help but have that little glimmer of hope...I think it's only human to feel that way.

I've applied three times in the past with no success, and the most important thing I've realized after receiving countless letters of rejection and regrets--is that being turned down (prior to or post-interview) is no measure of one's intelligence or ability. The harsh truth is that there are simply too many capable applicants for such few spots, and being rejected should not make you feel like you cannot go far in life. Whether you become a doctor or not, success and happiness is subjective; how good or how bad one makes of a particular situation or lifestyle is ultimately up to you.

Smile everybody :)

I think you are so awesome already, dont lose your hope!! :o

I think you are so awesome already, dont lose your hope!! :o

OMG...thank you to all who have listened to my morning rant and made me feel so much better!! I truly respect all of you and would be blessed to sit in the same class as any of you next year. As for many of you, this is my third time applying to UofT (the first time was in UG). The last two times I took rejection lightly and looked to see how I good better myself. For some reason I simply snapped a little this weekend but now I feel better. I think the long wait has gotten to me, but at least I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best!

A big E-hug to all you talented intelligent people!

Hey guys, not to take away from the hope box, but I wanted to put some things in perspective here. It is my third time applying as well, and I am still waiting to hear from U of T. Although this might be only chance/ dream school for many of you on here, I just wanted to say that getting a rejection is not the worst thing in the world! There is always next year. And there is also other schools/ countries to consider!! If you want to practice medicine, you will always find a way. Don't get discouraged & don't give up! Apply again next year, and also apply to the States, there are so many excellent institutions there, that are on par, or sometimes even better than the Canadian schools.

I believe in fate - what's meant to be will be. Although a rejection is a tough pill to swallow (been there before), you just gotta keep trying. I know its easier said than done, but U of T's decision (invite/ rejection) will be made no matter how many times we refresh our email.

Here's to another week of hope!!!

Archived