Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box 2012!

Just read on the twitter feed

"Applicants please note - Leslie is taking a couple of well-deserved days off, after working 3 weekends in a row"

Guess we can relax for a few days...because we ARE going to get invites hahaha keeping the hope alive <3 .

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*sigh* I'm ashamed to say my hope is drying up. With only 2 interview dates left, presumably favored for grad students, what's the use? Send the rejection Deborah...I'm ready. :(

Straight from the blog regarding the last interview days:

Hi Steph. We are still looking at both undergrad and graduate files, so the April weekend is for everyone. We are planning to have all notifications out by the end of March, and are working as quickly as we can to get this done.

I have gone crazy - you can ask my interviewers from Western as proof :P

I remember a few years ago, there was a movie with Jim Carey and he was writing numbers all over the wall - I have become just like that. I already know that numbers are not the only factor. Deborah said "you will get an invite if you are good" or something like that - but I think that it held true when they still had several interview days to go and the statement is hard to believe with just April left. However, the purpose of this is to bring some level of objectivity to this whole process, and maybe a few of us will appreciate it.

--> 10 interview days - 550 invites to hand out = 55 interviewees per day

--> 8 interview days gone - 55 interviewees/day * 8 days = 440 interviews handed out - 110 left

--> among these interviewees - 42 have posted on premed - that is ~ 10% of the applicants who were invited --> seems irrelevant i.e. the number of posters on the interview invite thread on any given day should not kill hope. As a comparison, 26 rejects have posted and that works out to 2% of the reject pool.

--> 550 invites/3000 applicants = 183 invites/1000 applicants = 817 rejected/1000 applicants - 183 invites/817 rejects

--> (440 invites/8 interview days)*(817 rejects/183 invites) = 246 rejects/interview day

--> 246 rejects/interview day * 8 interview days = 1968 rejections handed out OR 246 rejects/interview day * 5 interview days = 1230 rejections handed out and Deborah is preparing 1968-1230 = 738 rejections this week for the March weekend

--> If you survive this week, 3000 initial - 440 invited - 1968 rejected = 592 candidates remain.

--> 592 candidates - 110 interview invites - 482 remain to be rejected - 110 invites/592 candidates = ~19% chance of invite, 81% chance of rejection. If you consider that rejections have not been sent out for the late March batch, then it will be - 110 invites/1330 candidates = ~ 8% chance of invite, 92% chance of rejection.

Make sense of this as you wish. Btw, - is not a minus sign here. I will always hope, but I must ditch this thread until I get an e-mail to avoid going even more mental. The hope box was so awesome when it started, but the mystery of the unknown has really corrupted my thoughts of it. I wish that next year on, U of T lists hard dates of when to expect invites and rejects - they can keep the same process, but at least we will know when things are coming. It is just torture to keep us waiting with out any idea other than "whenever we review your file".

Just wondering if it's possible that we get to a point where all the rejections are sent out and the remaining ppl are just waiting for an invite? Or is this just my own wishful thinking ?! haha

well done sir

I remember a few years ago, there was a movie with Jim Carey and he was writing numbers all over the wall - I have become just like that. I already know that numbers are not the only factor. Deborah said "you will get an invite if you are good" or something like that - but I think that it held true when they still had several interview days to go and the statement is hard to believe with just April left. However, the purpose of this is to bring some level of objectivity to this whole process, and maybe a few of us will appreciate it.

--> 8 interview days gone - 55 interviewees/day * 8 days = 440 interviews handed out - 110 left

--> among these interviewees - 42 have posted on premed - that is ~ 10% of the applicants who were invited --> seems irrelevant i.e. the number of posters on the interview invite thread on any given day should not kill hope. As a comparison, 26 rejects have posted and that works out to 2% of the reject pool.

--> 550 invites/3000 applicants = 183 invites/1000 applicants = 817 rejected/1000 applicants - 183 invites/817 rejects

--> (440 invites/8 interview days)*(817 rejects/183 invites) = 246 rejects/interview day

--> 246 rejects/interview day * 8 interview days = 1968 rejections handed out OR 246 rejects/interview day * 5 interview days = 1230 rejections handed out and Deborah is preparing 1968-1230 = 738 rejections this week for the March weekend

--> If you survive this week, 3000 initial - 440 invited - 1968 rejected = 592 candidates remain.

--> 592 candidates - 110 interview invites - 482 remain to be rejected - 110 invites/592 candidates = ~19% chance of invite, 81% chance of rejection. If you consider that rejections have not been sent out for the late March batch, then it will be - 110 invites/1330 candidates = ~ 8% chance of invite, 92% chance of rejection.

Make sense of this as you wish. Btw, - is not a minus sign here. I will always hope, but I must ditch this thread until I get an e-mail to avoid going even more mental. The hope box was so awesome when it started, but the mystery of the unknown has really corrupted my thoughts of it. I wish that next year on, U of T lists hard dates of when to expect invites and rejects - they can keep the same process, but at least we will know when things are coming. It is just torture to keep us waiting with out any idea other than "whenever we review your file".

you are mental. go seek help. jk =p

I must say, I find this highly amusing and somewhat sad at the same time

m3dBT.jpg

Yeah, not going to lie, that was not good for me to read. Especially since I realized that while at the beginning I might have been a pretty cool candidate, but I feel at this point there going to be like "already invited one of those types".

On a more hopeful note, maybe they'll just have some tech hack premed101 and invite everyone from the hope box?!

Actually, this makes complete sense. Maybe a proof could be applied to your series of computations to give them even more credence.

Wait...oh man...I am totally mental also. I think this hope box needs padded walls, because it doesn't feel like this is the case right now.

Actually, this makes complete sense. Maybe a proof could be applied to your series of computations to give them even more credence.

Wait...oh man...I am totally mental also. I think this hope box needs padded walls, because it doesn't feel like this is the case right now.

Deborah said explicitly on their blog that when you get an interview has no impact on your chances of getting an interview. The chances of getting an interview now are just as much as back in January/February.

Deborah said explicitly on their blog that when you get an interview has no impact on your chances of getting an interview. The chances of getting an interview now are just as much as back in January/February.

this makes absolutely no sense (but I understand what you are trying to say). However, read Monty Hall problem...it is relevant here. And yes, your odds do change, regardless of what Deborah says. Probabilities are probabilities. There are a number of interview spots left, and a number of applicants left to hear. How are those probabilities not accurate??

Hoping for a friendly discussion here...

this makes absolutely no sense (but I understand what you are trying to say). However, read Monty Hall problem...it is relevant here. And yes, your odds do change, regardless of what Deborah says. Probabilities are probabilities. There are a number of interview spots left, and a number of applicants left to hear. How are those probabilities not accurate??

I wouldn't be surprised if the people on this thread finally solved the monty hall problem! haha.

But on a serious note, I'm pretty sure those of us who haven't heard yet have a much lower chance of getting an interview, regardless of what Deborah said. Unless they decide to change their mind and open up more interview dates.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people on this thread finally solved the monty hall problem! haha.

But on a serious note, I'm pretty sure those of us who haven't heard yet have a much lower chance of getting an interview, regardless of what Deborah said. Unless they decide to change their mind and open up more interview dates.

That is exactly what Deborah has said multiple times on her blog. If you are a good candidate but there are no interview spots left, they will make additional interview spots/dates to accommodate you. I just hope "good" means the same thing now as it did in Jan/Feb (i.e. I can't help but feel like "good" would get you an interview in Jan/Feb but now you have to be really really good for them to want to add an interview date just to see you).

But there are not a number of interview spots left. They are willing to create interview spots if they find more candidates they wish to interview.

Btw your math is flawed. Just because they havent posted about the batch of "rejections" Doesn't mean those people havent been rejected. You're never competing against a much larger pool of people (110 spots for 1300 applicants)

The entire process is You vs 4 or 5... maybe 6.

Chillax dude.

I'm also still waiting to hear back... but "relax" is good advice :) I believe doctors should be able to remain calm in stressful situations (and patient!) so let's show we can be what we're working so hard towards.

well I'm not a doctor so I don't have to be patient, I WANT TO KNOW NOW!

Archived