Premed 101 Forums

Strike

Dalhousie Strike Vote

I know they say that it shouldn't happen (at least what the DalNews emails have been saying) but what would happen if they were to strike? What about people trying to use this year of undergrad to apply to med school.

Best case scenario it's not long and you miss some class material etc and get a worse overall GPA. Worst case you don't finish the semester and the whole year can't count towards med application (since it's not a full year anymore).

Any ideas how this would be handled by DalMed admission in this case?

Tx

Joey

If they do strike, Dal will have to close. I highly doubt that would happen because there'd be just too many problems. No idea how Dal Med admissions would handle it and I wouldn't worry about it just yet; it's bad enough to get there everyday with bus drivers on strike :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Well despite what Tom Traves and the Dal News email are reporting, the Faculty Association doesn't believe they are close.

Chronicle Herald article

When the last Faculty Strike happened around March 2002, the university was closed for a month before the strike ended. Students then had a couple options - finish the course(s) they were in, with classes restarting in April and extended almost to the end of April and with a condensed exam schedule or they could withdraw from their courses without academic penalty - they wouldn't even have a W on their transcript, and I think students got a financial credit as well for these course withdrawals.

Hopefully it gets settled before March, or if it doesn't, that it is settled quickly. Obviously there are a lot of students depending on this semester for a variety of things - lots of students need the courses to graduate of course, or for the grades for their applications, but some were hoping to defend their thesis in March and graduate this spring which would be much harder to do if there was any prolonged strike.

But on the bright side, if there is a strike, the transit strike wouldn't be so detrimental...

I'm just really hoping the Med AdCom can still get the decisions letters out the first week of March this year :)

Archived