Premed 101 Forums

I can't get into any nursing programs?

elatrosbear

i'm graduating high school this year and i don't have good grades at all. i wanted to go to school for nursing but i hear that all nursing programs are really competitive and it might take me years to get into one. i don't know what to do. should i take classes to bring my gpa up until i can apply or should i just try to find something else i could pursue? all i want to do is nursing and i'm upset that i won't be able to get into any programs and i can't think of anything else i would rather do. what should i do?

hi vis clothing

i'm graduating high school this year and i don't have good grades at all. i wanted to go to school for nursing but i hear that all nursing programs are really competitive and it might take me years to get into one. i don't know what to do. should i take classes to bring my gpa up until i can apply or should i just try to find something else i could pursue? all i want to do is nursing and i'm upset that i won't be able to get into any programs and i can't think of anything else i would rather do. what should i do?

How bad are we exactly talking here though? 'Cuz depending on the school you apply to, you probably still have a shot.

The popular and thus more competitive schools you're referring to are probably Ryerson, McMaster, and Queen's. I remember their cutoff averages being in the mid-80s. However, you still have choices as to other schools, like York or Windsor's collaborative programs (note: collaborative means you spend the first two years in college and the last two at the university -- you graduate with a BScN).

This is all assuming you plan on becoming an RN, as well as planning on going into it straight from high school. If you just want to be in an RPN, then you could just go to almost any college (i.e. Seneca, Centennial, St. Clair) and their two-year diploma programs are not very competitive in terms of grades.

Also, keep in mind you could get into a nursing program after you've entered university, though keep in mind it will be even harder to get better grades once you're in and that you will be required to take certain prerequisite courses at the university level to be considered for transfer.

Best of luck.

Archived