Premed 101 Forums

Second degree

Dal has two methods of calculating your GPA for admissions purposes: 1) your last two consecutive, full-time years; or 2) your best 3 years if you've already earned your undergraduate degree. It doesn't matter if you're doing a second degree (you could be doing a non-degree year, for example) - they will apply whichever formula works best. They will also combine GPA's from years from two different degrees. So you don't have to do two years of a second degree if you've got a solid 2 recent consecutive years or 3 best years overall if you've already finished your degree. I hope this answers your question.

For example, I'm doing a year as a non-degree student to improve my admissions GPA. This year's GPA will be combined with my most recent full-time year's GPA to come up with an admissions GPA. In addition, since I've already earned my degree, I could opt to combine this year's GPA with those of my two best other years; however, in my case, this is not to my advantage.

EDIT: If you were to apply in the first year of your second degree, that year's GPA would NOT count since they only use GPA's from completed years.

Dal has two methods of calculating your GPA for admissions purposes: 1) your last two consecutive, full-time years; or 2) your best 3 years if you've already earned your undergraduate degree. It doesn't matter if you're doing a second degree (you could be doing a non-degree year, for example) - they will apply whichever formula works best. They will also combine GPA's from years from two different degrees. So you don't have to do two years of a second degree if you've got a solid 2 recent consecutive years or 3 best years overall if you've already finished your degree. I hope this answers your question.

For example, I'm doing a year as a non-degree student to improve my admissions GPA. This year's GPA will be combined with my most recent full-time year's GPA to come up with an admissions GPA. In addition, since I've already earned my degree, I could opt to combine this year's GPA with those of my two best other years; however, in my case, this is not to my advantage.

EDIT: If you were to apply in the first year of your second degree, that year's GPA would NOT count since they only use GPA's from completed years.

Thanks for taking time to reply:)

Archived