Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers?

I think Dr. Walker said they will be randomly contacting verifiers and ones that look fishy. I think they are doing it now, so I think it depends when they decide the ranking. If it is already decided, then they are probably only going to contact those that will be on the list. However, the class size and waitlist size won't be decided until later so I would guess it is completely random. I have read that there are people whose don't get contacted and they get admitted. I don't think it's worth thinking about or guessing what they are doing. Just try and relax until May 15. Good luck!!!

I think he specifically said that its such a huge job to contact verifiers that they cannot wait until the have a list of ppl the are going to offer admission. I think he said that they were going to start soon after the interviews.

However, I may have Calgary confused with some other school... its all a blur now.

It means nothing whether they contact your verifiers or not. This is based on Dr. Walker's comment; some got in without getting verifiers contacted; some didn't get in even when the verifiers were contacted.

They simply don't have time to wait until the ranking is complete.:)

Stop worrying about it and just enjoy life...:D

Last year my verifier got contacted very close to the D day (around two to three weeks before). I was thinking the admission result was probably an acceptance offer and my guess was right. My rationale was that why they bother to check you up that late in the game if it is not an acceptance.

I saw that on the blog they check waitlisters after May 15 but I was also looking at last year's posts and it said they were done checking verifiers on April 28 - he said if you haven't heard from us you are ok....I assume that meant everyone including waitlisters so maybe something similar will be posted this year?

Last year my verifier got contacted very close to the D day (around two to three weeks before). I was thinking the admission result was probably an acceptance offer and my guess was right. My rationale was that why they bother to check you up that late in the game if it is not an acceptance.

If getting verified meant getting accepted, then that'd be a pretty clear sign that you got in. They just randomly verify an x number of those interviewed (this is an educated guess). It's the easiest way to prevent people from fudging ECs as well as not giving away any info with regards to who is getting accepted.

I'm presuming the list of those that will get interviewed is known well ahead of interviews, which enables them to start verifying before interviews.

I think the real question on everyone's mind is - has anyone received an offer without having their verifiers checked??

Probably most people who got in have, or if their verifiers were checked they might not have not even heard about it. I don't think I actually know anyone who heard anything about their verifiers being checked. Mine didn't get checked that I know of, although considering one of the verifiers I had for about half of my things was the same person who wrote me a letter of recommendation without ever actually responding to the email I sent asking him to write me one (I just assumed the answer was yes after I didn't hear back from him and sent him the forms), for all I know they could have called him and he just didn't tell me. :)

That makes sense. If the verifiers are contacted near the end of April, I believe the probability of you in getting accepted is pretty high.

Another question I want to ask, does the school contact you if they cannot get a hold of your verifiers? for instance, verifiers go on vacation

I was contacted by email because the admissions could not get hold of the verifier. I then found out that my verifier left that work place and it was up to me to prove the said activity involvement. So, from my experience, U of C will email you if they cannot contact your verifier.

• 3 weeks later...
I was contacted by email because the admissions could not get hold of the verifier. I then found out that my verifier left that work place and it was up to me to prove the said activity involvement. So, from my experience, U of C will email you if they cannot contact your verifier.

That happened to me too. I almost had a heart attack because the only contact I had with that verifier was through that work place. I ended up having to scour the city looking for her, haha. Got a hold of her in the end, which was a big relief. Would have had to simply ask someone else to verify the same activity, but it was a mini-crisis last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived