Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist

Any recent figures on how many applicants were accepted after having placed on the waitlist?

The most recent figures are from the 2008/2009 cycle:

• Offered & Registered: 100
  • Deferred: 3
  • Offered & Declined: 96
  • Total Admission Offers: 199

So there was a lot of wait list movement.

Source: page 26 of The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada "Admission in 2012" Publication

That doesn't include people who were on the waitlist and accepted an offer elsewhere... So it's not necessarily the top 199 people (there may have been people waitlisted who didn't get an offer because they took themselves off the waitlist).. so your'e looking at closer to around 250

Again keep in mind that these stats are from 2008/2009 when they interviewed MANY more people than the 400 or so they interview now.

That doesn't include people who were on the waitlist and accepted an offer elsewhere... So it's not necessarily the top 199 people (there may have been people waitlisted who didn't get an offer because they took themselves off the waitlist).. so your'e looking at closer to around 250

Again keep in mind that these stats are from 2008/2009 when they interviewed MANY more people than the 400 or so they interview now.

anyone have any idea about the amount of movement more recently than this? i know this is the last time they posted results, but i'm just wondering if anyone has a general idea

anyone have any idea about the amount of movement more recently than this? i know this is the last time they posted results, but i'm just wondering if anyone has a general idea

You could try to gauge from last year's "Team Waitlist" thread, but that's only people who use the forums. I doubt you'd get any more information than that from anyone here.

the ones who were offered off the waitlist and went somewhere else and thus declined, wouldn't they be included in the "offered and declined" category?

the ones who were offered off the waitlist and went somewhere else and thus declined, wouldn't they be included in the "offered and declined" category?

My thoughts exactly. I think it makes sense that taking yourself off the waitlist marks yourself as "Declined" if your name comes up later.

But really... no one but the admissions committee can say for sure. All this analysis doesn't do anything except assure ourselves that we have a good chance or make ourselves anxious that we don't have as good of a chance as we thought. We don't know any of our interview scores or how they even decide who gets in after the interview...

5 weeks left!

The most recent figures are from the 2008/2009 cycle:

• Offered & Registered: 100
  • Deferred: 3
  • Offered & Declined: 96
  • Total Admission Offers: 199

So there was a lot of wait list movement.

Source: page 26 of The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada "Admission in 2012" Publication

That is a crazy amount of waitlist movement. I mentioned this to one of the first year med students and she said that everyone she knew was accepted first round. She expressed disbelief that Queens had so many declined offers.

I was going through the thread and one of them being offered many interviews but chances of not getting in anywhere. this person had 4 interviews this year. all the comments were hopeful and then one commenter was like "well the worst scenario, you could have had 1 interview and at Queen's, where the odds are 1:5"

my reaction: ... ouch

Let's hope that first rounders would not necessarily chose Queen's first!

well if you think about it... to get an interview your odds were like 1 in 20 so think about how far we've made it already:) . 1 in 5 seems like a piece of cake compared to that (even though its not, much stronger competition :( ). this waiting is really tough

Plus it isn't really about probability, its all about performance and a little bit of luck. Unless we somehow all performed exactly the same:eek: lol

Problem is nobody has any clue about their performance (except for the one station where I am positive I aced it). It certainly feels a little like a lottery.

Problem is nobody has any clue about their performance (except for the one station where I am positive I aced it). It certainly feels a little like a lottery.

Of course, I just think its interesting that we all talk about probabilities when that's not reaaally the case even though it feels like it.

are you going to have the confidence to say you're better/ shame to say you're worse than the average applicant? I think it's easier on our poor stressed brains to just think about us all being average

No I'm just trying to get myself to stop flipping a coin:D haha. We're all in the same boat of not knowing. My statistics background just makes for conversation as we pass the time until May 15th.

Just over a month seems so long and so short at the same time.

Archived