Premed 101 Forums

U of T Waitlist C/O 2016

Well, it's past Friday the 13th (ha!). It begins.

Good luck everyone. :o Post here if you happen to know how much the waitlist has moved, or if you get an offer.

I've tried calling a couple times to ask if the waitlist has possibly moved 1-2 spots since Friday, but no one's picked up! If someone manages to get a hold of the admissions office, let us know. :)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
of course. the waitlist will start moving after may 15 when the med hopefuls with dentistry as a back up get into med school.

Was just hoping that a few UBC matriculants would have declined their offers, but maybe there weren't many of them in the first place.

I ranked #2 on the waitlist, but I am OOP. People were saying that there's no separate pool for OOP, so I thought I have a very good chance to get in.

When I emailed UT today, they told me the same thing (only one waitlist), but then they also say I will be given an offer only when an OOP student declines. Now I have a bad feeling that my chances are really small, since there are so few OOP offers in the first place. Dose any one know historically how much would OOP waitlist move, or if move at all? The person who ranks #1 is IP or OOP?

Thanks for any information!

I ranked #2 on the waitlist, but I am OOP. People were saying that there's no separate pool for OOP, so I thought I have a very good chance to get in.

When I emailed UT today, they told me the same thing (only one waitlist), but then they also say I will be given an offer only when an OOP student declines. Now I have a bad feeling that my chances are really small, since there are so few OOP offers in the first place. Dose any one know historically how much would OOP waitlist move, or if move at all? The person who ranks #1 is IP or OOP?

Thanks for any information!

Hmm, that's confusing.

If anything, it's a good thing for IP people who are ranked higher than you. For example, I'm originally waitlisted at #14. It might mean I'm #13, or possibly higher (if there are more OOP people in rank <13).

I'd keep my head up though. The chances that the #1 ranked person is OOP seems slim. You might be #1! Aren't there like 10 or so OOP offers each year? I'm sure once other schools (ie. Alberta, Manitoba, Sask, etc.) send out acceptances, you'll get a call! :) It's unlikely all 10 of those people would choose to go to U of T, since they were probably competitive at their home schools too.

Hmm, that's confusing.

If anything, it's a good thing for IP people who are ranked higher than you. For example, I'm originally waitlisted at #14. It might mean I'm #13, or possibly higher (if there are more OOP people in rank <13).

I'd keep my head up though. The chances that the #1 ranked person is OOP seems slim. You might be #1! Aren't there like 10 or so OOP offers each year? I'm sure once other schools (ie. Alberta, Manitoba, Sask, etc.) send out acceptances, you'll get a call! :) It's unlikely all 10 of those people would choose to go to U of T, since they were probably competitive at their home schools too.

Will the real #1 waitlist rank please stand up?

Speaking to a friend of mine, a D4 at U of T; he said that last year the waitlist went up to 36 spots. Is this even possible? Looking at the waitlist thread last year I could see that it was only up to about #15 or so by mid-August. I know he likes to boost my confidence, but at the same time I believe he knows what he's talking about (I think he used to help out on interview day). Sigh, I don't know what to think anymore.

Speaking to a friend of mine, a D4 at U of T; he said that last year the waitlist went up to 36 spots. Is this even possible? Looking at the waitlist thread last year I could see that it was only up to about #15 or so by mid-August. I know he likes to boost my confidence, but at the same time I believe he knows what he's talking about (I think he used to help out on interview day). Sigh, I don't know what to think anymore.

It only went 19 I think. I was #23 and I didn't get in.

It only went 19 I think. I was #23 and I didn't get in.

I figured as much. I wish he wouldn't throw random figures at me lol. He even told me not to deposit at other schools which I felt was a bit brash. :X

I really hope it goes above 20 this year. But I know the trend has been downward (each year, fewer and fewer people have been getting in off the waitlist for the past 3 years IIRC), so who knows. :(

hey guys, I know it's really stressful but try to occupy yourselves because you will go mad thinking about this and it may take as long as august/september before you know if you get off the waiting list. make alternative plans and hope for the best. last year, the waiting list moved 19 spots. the year before that it moved 26. 3 years ago, it was around the same, maybe 27. 4 years ago, it moved into the high 30s. it's really hard to predict and some people will hold onto their spots until the very last minute.

Hmm, that's confusing.

Good news for cleanup and other IP people, but bad news for myself:

The person ranked #1 turns out to be OOP as well (I emailed the admission office). What a bad coincidence!!!

And they only gave 6 OOP offers each year. So, I guess my chances are smaller.

But I also heard from some one that the last year class only has 3 OOPs. If it is true, it seems that most OOP people declines their offers? How about the years before last year? Can some one provide more information? Thanks!

Good news for cleanup and other IP people, but bad news for myself:

The person ranked #1 turns out to be OOP as well (I emailed the admission office). What a bad coincidence!!!

And they only gave 6 OOP offers each year. So, I guess my chances are smaller.

But I also heard from some one that the last year class only has 3 OOPs. If it is true, it seems that most OOP people declines their offers? How about the years before last year? Can some one provide more information? Thanks!

Hmm, that definitely is cutting it close.

Not so sure if it's good news for IP waitlisters though, since presumably the waitlist has always worked like this. For example, the waitlist moved 19 spots last year; if 6 OOP offers were made and there are 3 OOP students in the class, then 3 dropped. That means only 16 IP students dropped. It actually reduces my chances slightly (12/16 > 14/19) if we assume #1 and #2 are the only OOP students with ranks <14. :(

I hate my waitlist rank. It's so ambiguous. Not good, not bad, right on the cusp. It sucks.

slivoice, I think you should keep your head up. I mean, think about it, only 2 people have to give up their spots to get you in. Besides, that #1 waitlist person may very well give up their acceptance as well if they are accepted into their home school (and if they're #1 on the waitlist it certainly means they're competitive). I'd say your chances are really, really good. :) You should probably hear from U of T within a month or so. To be honest, I'm surprised you haven't already heard!

Archived