Premed 101 Forums

Nurses acting like physicians

Robin Hood

If we want to throw anecdotes in the mix then let's talk about a night shift were the resident kept writing the wrong orders, ex. IV when he meant PO. Not entirely sure what his deal was but the aftermath of these orders could have been potentially been fatal. Every time the nurses at triage would probe him for rationales he would say "you know what I mean". So yes, the role of a nurse is to protect patients from inept physicians, which do exist whether or not you would like to admit. It really goes both ways. One of the primary tenants of nursing is patient advocacy, so I stand by my statement.

That bad residents/physicians exist does not mean that your statement was anything other than inflammatory BS. The role of a nurse is to apply best practices in medication administration, hygiene, documentation, wound care, and a myriad of other non-medical or quasi-medical interventions ranging from patient positioning to keeping the bed angled at 30 degrees in the ICU. Good nursing care saves lives and, yes, that includes checking on orders, though most of the time the po vs. iv thing merits a call from pharmacy not nursing. And 99% of the time we're on the same page.

On a related subject, sometimes I don't care about the route (e.g. Gravol) and just write po/iv. Narcotics aside, it usually doesn't matter that much. (Well po Mg won't exactly replace it, but it will cause some exceptional diarrhea... and po Vanco will do nothing for systemic infections while iv Vanco will do nothing for C diff. So it matters.)

I'm sure you made that comment of out self interest which is completely logical as you fear encroachment, but it's simply false. Nurse practitioners have been taking over GP role all over Ontario and Alberta (from what I know), and surprise! It's working. Also, NPs are taught to practice under a biopsychosocial model rather than a strictly medical model, so they shouldn't really be compared at all.

There is no "medical model". This is just something people pontificate about in "theory" classes, as if it makes some sort of difference in practice. A biopsychosocial model doesn't make up for the obvious and glaring deficiencies in training and knowledge I've observed among NPs. The reason they are able to work in primary care - often with something of a specialty bent with well women, well baby exams, screening visits, etc. - is because it's not necessarily that complicated. They are bad at acute management (BRBPR in a stable patient? STAT CT abdo! No DRE! :rolleyes:), but then it's not something a lot of family docs who work mainly in the community are great at either.

Anyway, NPs are working in a few settings but their numbers are hardly significant compared to the number of family physicians in practice, let alone the 1500-odd that finish residency every year. It's a niche profession which functions in several niche roles, but the training is adequate only within those niches and for certain areas in primary care. Perhaps when NPs start thinking that can supplant internists, I'll start fearing "encroachment", but that day has yet to come (in Canada at least).

Anyways, it seems like this could go on forever so I suppose we should just agree to disagree. Oh and if you have an issue with "arbitrary policies" then perhaps you should go into policy making. As much as we nurses despise them, they are policies we have no control over so it seems silly to fault us for them.

No, it's not silly at all because usually these are simply fake policies that get quoted without any kind of reference, and also usually have the odd effect of obstructing our ability to get things done, i.e. to manage patient care effectively. The NG thing is a classic example because (1) it's totally ****ing false and (2) the patient needed NG decompression emergently. And they still did it anyway. The idea that floor nurses are uniquely aware of special hospital policies that somehow go unmentioned in our exhaustive, picayune, and tedious orientations that every single hospital staff member goes through is just silly. It's also not "patient advocacy" to claim that they can't perform interventions that are absolutely in their scope of practice for patients that have absolute indications for said interventions.

I only mention that example because it occurred recently. Perhaps while on call Sunday something similar might happen again, but more likely is that I'll have another busy and sometimes interesting 24+2 hours. And when I get the inevitable call for a Tylenol or Gravol order, I won't be mad at the RN calling me, but the resident who didn't bother to write the PRN on the admission orders.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no "medical model". This is just something people pontificate about in "theory" classes, as if it makes some sort of difference in practice. A biopsychosocial model doesn't make up for the obvious and glaring deficiencies in training and knowledge I've observed among NPs. The reason they are able to work in primary care - often with something of a specialty bent with well women, well baby exams, screening visits, etc. - is because it's not necessarily that complicated. They are bad at acute management (BRBPR in a stable patient? STAT CT abdo! No DRE! :rolleyes:), but then it's not something a lot of family docs who work mainly in the community are great at either.

This is very true.

I don't know what this so called ''medical model'' is, but I've never heard of it during med school. And if such a model existed, it would certainly include the biopsychosocial theories, otherwise we wouldn't have canmeds etc.

There are many arbitrary policies... So many that it makes it difficult to the job

I'm gonna keep my nose out of it mostly, bit I'd like to add that what makes it difficult is that at my center, certain people make up policy in order to avoid doing a task they want to avoid.

Example: claiming that policy is that nobody but Urology is allowed to insert a coude tip catheter so we need to page Uro at 2 am to get them to drive in to put one in a patient in retention. (Note: at my center anyone authorized to put a foley in can put a coude tip in, and this floor had done it a dozen times before when I was there)

If I'm getting BS made up policy I know is an excuse to not work, I ask whoever is BSing me to produce the documentation. That usually calls their bluff and they do the work.

Fake policy is rampant in certain locations in the hospitals I work at. I've seen it busted out by nurses, docs, admin staff, techs, social work etc.

All the fake policy and lies make it hard to tell when there actually is policy issues.

• 6 months later...

Propecia Finasteride- Medical Facts You Should Know About This Drug!

What is Propecia Finasteride?

The active ingredient of the drug Propecia is finasteride. It is used to treat androgenetic alopecia. This is a form of male pattern baldness. The drug is used to decrease the levels of DHT in the body. Decreasing the levels of DHT stops hair loss and also improves hair regrowth.

It works in such a way that inhibits metabolisation of testosterone. The drug also prevents conversion of testosterone into DHT. Thus the drug stops hair loss and also effectively treats benign prostatic cancer.

How to use the drug?

You should read the instruction manual of the drug for precise details of dosage. You should take Propecia with the instructions of the pharmacist. You should consume the drug orally before or after food. You should take the drug once daily unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.

Pregnant mothers should avoid the drug. You should use the drug at regular intervals to derive maximum benefit from it. You should be patient with the drug. It might take up to three months to show evident results. Do not stop the drug abruptly without consulting your doctor.

Do not overdose yourself with the drug if you miss a dose. You should take the drug as soon as you remember it and then continue with the regular schedule from next day.

Any special precautions/ contraindications

You should inform your doctor about your allergies before starting Propecia. You should give complete information about your medical history to your doctor before starting the drug. If you have a medical history of urinary problem, prostate cancer or liver diseases then do not take the drug without consulting a medical expert.

Children and women should not use Propecia. It is strictly warned that pregnant or lactating mothers should not handle the drug because it might be absorbed by the skin. You should inform your doctor about all prescription and non-prescription drugs that you may be taking before starting the medication.

Keep it out of reach of children and pets. Store the drug away from direct heat and sunlight. The drug might affect PSA test therefore inform your doctor about medication of the drug before going for the test.

5 top benefits of this product

Propecia is a very popular drug to treat “crowning baldness” in men. You should use the drug regularly to derive maximum benefit from the drug. The important benefits of the drug are:

• It effectively works on enlarged prostate.

• It eases urinary problems increasing free flow of urine.

• It improves hair growth in men.

• It also brings back lost hair with proper treatment.

• It is a popular remedy for hormone replacement therapy.

Propecia no prescription usa fedex shipping; cheap Propecia for sale online no prescription required; Propecia no script; Propecia same day delivery; overnight Propecia cod shipping; buy Propecia online without prescription; buy Propecia overnight free delivery; Propecia generic fedex no prescription; doctor shopping for Propecia prescription; no prescriptions needed for Propecia ; Propecia without dr; Propecia for sale no script; cheap Propecia with cash on delivery;

Archived