Premed 101 Forums

Engineering to Medicine?

Hey there - I just finished my 3rd year of mechanical engineering at Western. There are a few other engineers on here as well, so hopefully we can answer any questions to have.

To answer the above question, yes you can get into medicine through engineering. You will definitely have to work hard for the GPA though - I have always had 6 or 7 courses at a time, when usually a full course load is 5 courses. So not only do you have extra courses, but they are likely difficult courses as well. And some schools (such as Mac) count all your marks from every course you have taken for your GPA, so you don't get to drop any. I go to Western, and for engineering there you get 1-1.5 non-technical electives, which means you aren't going to have to many "bird" courses to boost your average. That also means that completing the pre-reqs is going to be difficult because the program is so structured - I have never taken any university biology or orgo, and only 1 semester of a basic chem course (for engineers) in first year. That being said, you could probably take them in the summer if you don't need the money from work. Otherwise you will be able to apply to Western, Mac, Queen's (starting next year), and NOSM in Ontario with no pre-reqs I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Don't know where you are from, but if you can tell us what province you might get some more specific tips based on what med schools you will likely be applying to. Another thing to consider is the MCAT - you won't have a biology/orgo background for it, although as many people here can attest to, it's possible to do well without a science background.

Hope this answers your question!

Depends on the engineering program, but yes, it is possible... I have a 5-year degree, but that includes a 1-year co-op practicum. I've managed to fit in prerequisite courses and the MCAT (my university is on a trimester system, which helps). Like silverwhale said, the programs tend to be very structured and very packed, so the key is to identify what prerequisites you need to fit in at the start and figure out how you're going to squeeze them in. It will be a lot of work, but a high GPA is not unachievable. Personally, I feel like my NAQ is a bit weak because of the amount of time I spend in the lab though! ;)

I did engineering before medicine.

The only thing for me was I didn't do a biochem intro course, so I couldn't apply to some medical schools. But that was because my engineering program had very little elective time.

The hardest part is maintaining a high enough GPA to be competitive.

There's no such thing as an unstructured engineering program, regardless of location or discipline. All of them have a high amount of required courses with little elective time. You'll be able to find suggested course sequences on the UofC website to get an idea. I'll also add that Civil may tend to be more "structured" than the other disciplines though haha.

would chemical engineering (specifically UofCalgary) be a very structured program?

1st Year:

1. Applied Mathematics 217 Calculus for Engineers and Scientists

2. Applied Mathematics 219 Multivariable Calculus for Engineers

3. Chemistry 209 General Chemistry for Engineers

4. Engineering 200 Engineering Design and Communication

5. Engineering 201 Behaviour of Liquids, Gases and Solids

6. Engineering 202 Engineering Statics

7. Engineering 225 Fundamentals of Electrical Circuits and Machines

8. Engineering 233 Computing for Engineers I

9. Mathematics 211 Linear Methods I

10. Physics 259 Electricity and Magnetism

11. Complementary Studies Course

2nd Year:

1. Applied Mathematics 307 Differential Equations for Engineers

2. Chemistry 357 Industrial Organic Chemistry for Engineers

3. Chemical Engineering 315 Chemical Engineering Process Calculation

4. Chemical Engineering 331 Process Fluid Dynamics

5. Engineering 311 Engineering Thermodynamics

6. Engineering 317 Mechanics of Solids

7. Engineering 319 Probability and Statistics for Engineers

8. Engineering 349 Engineering Mechanics II

9. Science Option1

10., 11. Complementary Studies Courses (two half-course equivalent)

3rd year:

1. Chemistry 409 Applied Chemistry and Chemical Pathways for Engineers

2. Chemical Engineering 401 Analyses of Chemical, Oil & Gas Engineering Processes

3. Chemical Engineering 403 Heat Transfer

4. Chemical Engineering 405 Separation Processes I

5. Chemical Engineering 421 Chemical Engineering Kinetics

6. Chemical Engineering 423 Chemical Engineering Process Development

7. Chemical Engineering 427 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics

8. Chemical Engineering 429 Process Dynamics and Control

9. Engineering 407 Numerical Methods in Engineering

10. Technical Elective (one half-course equivalent)

11. Complementary Studies Course (one half-course equivalent)

4th year:

1. Chemistry 579 Surface and Colloid Chemistry for Engineers

2. Chemical Engineering 501 Transport Phenomena

3. Chemical Engineering 505 Separation Processes II

4. Chemical Engineering 511 Chemical Process Design I

5. Chemical Engineering 529 Process Dynamics and Control1

6. Chemical Engineering 531 Chemical Process Design II

7. Chemical Engineering 551 Chemical Engineering Laboratory

8. Engineering 513 The Role and Responsibilities of the Professional Engineer in Society

9., 10. Technical Electives (two half-course equivalents)

11. Complementary Studies Course (one half-course equivalent)

As you can see, alot of the years have more than the typical 10 courses for full time. And there is not much elective time, meaning you may have to squeeze them in during summer or stay an extra year. Im also going to be doing chemical engg so best of luck to both of us.

I did chem eng at uOttawa, and in order to fit in the bios and biochems necessary for some schools I had to further overload an already overloaded program, and take an additional 3 classes in the summer I did my NSERC and MCAT...

it was intense, insane, and awesome all at once... chem eng leaves you a much better backup career option than pure sci in my mind... that said it is much harder to get great marks (many exams are 65-75% in the program I took, and based on 2-5 questions)... but if you are willing to work hard, and like math and science (particularly calculus, physics and chemistry), then you will probably enjoy it... there is a greater focus on concepts than memorization.

another thing to consider is that it will mean less classes to give you a general foundation on medical topics (anatomy etc), but will help with some physiology (cardio and resp are common sense with fluid mech under your belt)...

anyway, it can be done, I got offers from Mac, Western and NOSM, I managed to fit in all of the prereqs for all of the ontario schools, and got a 39T on my MCAT... but my ECs were less than many, and that knocked me out pre interview for Ottawa (I don't know what kept me from a UofT interview, and Queens rejected me post interview).

cheers and good luck

I did chem eng at uOttawa, and in order to fit in the bios and biochems necessary for some schools I had to further overload an already overloaded program, and take an additional 3 classes in the summer I did my NSERC and MCAT...

it was intense, insane, and awesome all at once... chem eng leaves you a much better backup career option than pure sci in my mind... that said it is much harder to get great marks (many exams are 65-75% in the program I took, and based on 2-5 questions)... but if you are willing to work hard, and like math and science (particularly calculus, physics and chemistry), then you will probably enjoy it... there is a greater focus on concepts than memorization.

another thing to consider is that it will mean less classes to give you a general foundation on medical topics (anatomy etc), but will help with some physiology (cardio and resp are common sense with fluid mech under your belt)...

anyway, it can be done, I got offers from Mac, Western and NOSM, I managed to fit in all of the prereqs for all of the ontario schools, and got a 39T on my MCAT... but my ECs were less than many, and that knocked me out pre interview for Ottawa (I don't know what kept me from a UofT interview, and Queens rejected me post interview).

cheers and good luck

Nice. Mind stating your GPA?

Nice. Mind stating your GPA?

can't say for certain, once you get it you stop caring so much (at least I did!) but I recall it being 3.9+/-, the number 3.87 is coming to mind, but I'm not sure if that was from my first application, my second, or something I just made up... sorry I can't help! But to give some more context, I made it past uOttawa academic cutoff and I was not franco, aboriginal, military or from the area... and if I recall they had pretty tight levels.

one way or the other, I know people with higher GPAs from different programs, I had the highest GPA in mine though, and it was high enough to get some offers... and while I didn't sleep much, didn't do as much ECs as I'd have liked... I really enjoyed it, and I'm happy I made that choice... but I was the only person in my faculty who was going into medicine, some would take that as a good thing (no unhealthy competition) and some as a bad thing (no allies/help through the process).

can't say for certain, once you get it you stop caring so much (at least I did!) but I recall it being 3.9+/-, the number 3.87 is coming to mind, but I'm not sure if that was from my first application, my second, or something I just made up... sorry I can't help! But to give some more context, I made it past uOttawa academic cutoff and I was not franco, aboriginal, military or from the area... and if I recall they had pretty tight levels.

one way or the other, I know people with higher GPAs from different programs, I had the highest GPA in mine though, and it was high enough to get some offers... and while I didn't sleep much, didn't do as much ECs as I'd have liked... I really enjoyed it, and I'm happy I made that choice... but I was the only person in my faculty who was going into medicine, some would take that as a good thing (no unhealthy competition) and some as a bad thing (no allies/help through the process).

Thanks. It is relieving hearing stories about pulling a high GPA out in engg. Hopefully I can be one of those people.

great info in this thread.

it seems as if chem eng and biomedical eng students were the only engineering students who tried to get into med school.

probably because their curriculum contained chem/bio courses.

I'm in mechanical, and there are others on the forum in different disciplines also trying for med. So don't think you are limited to only chem or bio engineering :)

I'm in mechanical, and there are others on the forum in different disciplines also trying for med. So don't think you are limited to only chem or bio engineering :)

and there is a civ eng in my year too...

I always wanted medicine, and just took an undergrad that interested me, challenged me, and benefited me... I feel like its a bit more of a stretch applying other engineering degrees in a direct way, but definitely possible, and it can't hurt having a health dose of engineering intuition/problem solving.

yeah, im in civil and thinking of getting into med school, but our program structure is quite rigid.

have at least 4-5 core courses each semester.

and the list of complementary courses that I can take do not include chem. maybe bio.

I studied applied mathematics at UW. Though it was not *as* structured as an engineering program, a med worthy GPA (>3.8) was nigh impossible to obtain and I did have to venture far from my program's regular courses to get my prereqs.

I managed to get all the prereqs necessary to apply to canadian schools by taking 6 or 7 classes every term and an extra full-time summer term. I had to get over-rides for most of these extra courses and they did not count toward my degree, though they did help with my GPA. I also studied for the MCAT during my extra summer term.

In the end, although my courses were hard and the workload heavy, I really enjoyed what I was learning and that helped pull-through and get the marks needed.

With the added structure of an engineering program, I can imagine an extra term would be needed for you as well.

Was it hard? Yes. Did it sometimes feel like an uphill battle? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes.

Mathemedition

• 2 weeks later...

cheers and good luck

I just finished the second year of biotechnology at uOttawa, which is actually a dual degree program (BSc in biochem and BASc in chem eng) in 5 years +1 summer. Just wondering if this was an option back when you did your undergrad.

I definitely agree it may be more challenging academically, due to course structure/content and program requirements (I only get 2 complementary electives in 5 years from a selected list), but surely attainable. However, my EC's also take a hit like benhc911 mentioned. I try to maintain several throughout the school year, and do more in the summer, but would like to fit as much in as I can.

Engineering is definitely a solid back-up plan, and biomedical engineering can keep one in the healthcare/medicine field.

Students who have gone from engineering to medicine:

And, what type of activities were you involved in?

Varsity sports. Peer mentoring and peer assistance(mental health type stuff). Since you already have less time than everyone else gunning for med, you have to focus on ECs you enjoy and commit to long term ECs.

My GPA was balls because I did really poorly (60s) in a handful of courses. Once you drop lowest year (or a certain number of credits)... it didn't look so bad; I managed to get an interview at Western last year.

It's not really any different for engineering ... do the activities/extracurriculars that interest you and that you have time for AFTER you make sure you can handle the workload. To get a high GPA, same as any other program really: work hard, keep up with assignments and lectures (don't get behind!), don't cram before an exam, ask the prof or a TA for help if you don't understand a concept, etc.

Archived