Premed 101 Forums

Finishing grad degree before Matriculation.

I'm not sure if anybody would know the answer to this question, but does Dal care if one matriculates (as a graduate student) and still has one course left in their Masters degree?

If I get into Dal for the fall of 2013, I'm scared that I will be one course short of my masters degree, which I will be able to do on an online basis (once the term starts).

Do you think the adcom will be understanding?

Dal requires that you have fulfilled all of the requirements for your grad degree except defending your thesis. They will allow you to defend your thesis at a later date as long as your supervisor confirms that you have completed your thesis along with all other degree requirements.

Dal requires that you have fulfilled all of the requirements for your grad degree except defending your thesis. They will allow you to defend your thesis at a later date as long as your supervisor confirms that you have completed your thesis along with all other degree requirements.

+1 - you can't have coursework outstanding. Technically you should have already defended your thesis by the time you start, but they are pretty lenient with this as long as your thesis is nearly complete.

Thanks for the info, guys. I brought up all the concerns that you guys proposed (in this thread and the general thread, where I asked this question) with my program admin today.

They said that they will do everything possible to offer this course in the summer (August 2013). Road looks a little more clear now :)

I do find it interesting, however, that a thesis can be defended at a later date (after admission?). If anything, I thought it was the other way around.

Archived