Premed 101 Forums

Alberta vs. Calgary

If you get to choose between the two, which one would you go for??

I know it might get biased since I am posting this on Calgary forum, but just curious...

For me, as an OOP, the one thing I am most concerned about is 3- vs. 4-yr curriculum...each has pros and cons.

Any ideas?

the 3 vs 4 year program has been debated quite a bit here on the PM101 forums. I don't know specifically where, but you should be able to find some threads about it in the Calgary/Mcmaster forums, as well as the general discussion boards.

As for the two cities? I'm biased of course, but Calgary is AWESOME! Mountains > no mountains.

Thanks for your replies.

I was actually asking more about your opinions on life in Calgary versus Edmonton, maybe I should've worded it better. Although it really doesn't matter much for Calgary since you practically have no holidays (and stuck on campus???)....

Seems like people have split preference over Edmonton and Calgary

No opinions on Edmonton, I never really wanted to go to UofA and didn't even apply there.

Calgary, is a young city. Although housing is a bit on the expensive side, but if you're going just for school, chances are you'd be renting. If you're into snow sports, ski hills are only about an hour away.

For travelling, Calgary is super convenient, since Westjet is based out of Calgary. Direct flights to Toronto and to vacation spots down south like Cabo! :D

Curriculum wise, all schools pretty much have to teach the same thing. How else will their grads pass the LCMM? For myself, I already know there are lots of specialities I don't want, and I'm 80% set on primary care so a 3 year school is a good choice for me. I get done a whole year faster!

No opinions on Edmonton, I never really wanted to go to UofA.

Calgary, is a young city. Although housing is a bit on the expensive side, but if you're going just for school, chances are you'd be renting. If you're into snow sports, ski hills are only about an hour away.

For travelling, Calgary is super convenient, since Westjet is based out of Calgary. Direct flights to Toronto and to vacation spots down south like Cabo! :D

YYC is a bigger hub for flights in general. For the year I was in YEG there was a lot fewer options for direct flights and even # of flights...this may or may not be of interest if you have any reason to travel during school.

I also concur that Calgary is a younger city than Edmonton. Lots of growth and energy here...found Ed to be a bit more lacklustre but it is a very different type of town. Living cost wise, I find groceries and other general items both expensive (I am originally from Ontario, where it is also getting more expensive but not to the extent as in AB). In contrast, shopping is way better in Calgary! More variety of stores, multiple locations of various stores, and lots of sales.

Cost to rent will be comparable between cities; cost to buy will probably be cheaper in Edmonton but of course it depends on the neighbourhood.

Personally, having lived in both cities, I prefer Calgary so was thrilled to be accepted into school here. I like the chinooks, I don't mind the variety of weather (except storms!!), and generally feel like the city has more greenspace...I might be biased by the locations in which I've lived, however. I was very fortunate to live overlooking the river valley in Edmonton and that was wonderful. I think there's more mosquitos in Edmonton....:/

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

LL

wow, thanks for informative responses!!

I'm also from ON, too bad groceries are more expensive in AB...I'm a big snacker...haha.

It's surprising to hear that Calgary has better shopping options, I thought Edmonton is famous for its shopping mall???

wow, thanks for informative responses!!

I'm also from ON, too bad groceries are more expensive in AB...I'm a big snacker...haha.

It's surprising to hear that Calgary has better shopping options, I thought Edmonton is famous for its shopping mall???

West Edmonton Mall is for tourists! ;)

I thought I would add to this thread as well having experienced both Calgary and Edmonton. I prefer Calgary out of the two, it is a younger town, and is much more active than Edmonton. If you're into awesome biking/walking/running trails Calgary is the place to be. If you enjoy kayaking, hiking, weekend trips to the mountains and cute towns like Canmore, obviously Calgary. The shopping is way better here as well, and as a person who uses the airport regularly you do have more direct flights here as mentioned.

I know you said you're not looking at the difference between schools, but just as a sidenote I work at the Foothills hospital and work with ALOT of residents coming through and I have to say the U of A students are always more prepared as R1's than the U of C students, not to offend anyone from U of C, its just been my overall experience.

I work at the Foothills hospital and work with ALOT of residents coming through and I have to say the U of A students are always more prepared as R1's than the U of C students, not to offend anyone from U of C, its just been my overall experience.

Are you a doc/ resident/ nurse? And how many years have you worked at Foothills for? I'm just curious as I've come across this sentiment quite alot.

One huge plus for Edmonton is that campus is right on Whyte Ave (which is the 17th ave of Edmonton). Calgary campus is much more isolated. If you want to hang out with classmates in the evening/weekend, I found it much easier in Edmonton (I went to both UofC and UofA). I also found Edmonton to be cheaper for pretty much everything from rent to restaurant food, gym memberships to a pint of beer. Fall is beautiful in Edmonton and often warmer than Calgary (but the winter is worse due to the lack of Chinooks).

Well it's always hard to say with these things, but I feel like UofA may be better at easing you into life as a future doctor. I know Dr. Walker had mentioned that UofC's philosophy is treating med school like you would a workplace, which may be tough for some students because that's just it... we're still students. UofA may also allow more time for you to build relationships with your supervisor for those important ref. letters.

Hmm... I always find these comments interesting. Of course, I respect people's opinions and perceptions. Being a UofC student myself (and hence my bias), I don't really see the distinction between UofA & UofC residents that I have worked with as a clerk.

I mean, no one wears a sign that says, "I'm a UofA" vs "UofC grad" among residents. So, how does one know who graduated from where? And ICU, ER, etc rotations have a lot of off-service residents who have to do mandatory rotations (e.g., rads residents have to rotate through neuro, OBGYN, etc). So, if a R1 appears unprepared, is it because of the school that they graduated from or a number of other factors (e.g., rotating through a specialty that's not their own and having to learn the ropes of that specialty)?

I agree that the perceptions between UofA and UofC persists. But like clerkship, residency is what an individual makes of it. If you're "underperforming" for whatever reason, then that should light a fire under your bottom and get you moving. ;)

Archived