Premed 101 Forums

thank you notes to interviewers?

Guest borboleta10

Guest borboleta10

I've heard that it's customary in the States to send thank you cards/letters to program directors and/or other people who interview you. From the SDN forums, some people say that the thank-you notes even get put into your files (although no one knows whether it makes any difference or not for ranking)

Does anyone know if this is expected by programs here in Canada? For those of you who have gone through the whole CaRMS process, did you send thank-yous?

any thoughts?

Guest Ian Wong

I think that in Canada, there is much less tactical maneuvering than in the US. In the US, it's pretty much expected that you send thank you's to the programs, and very often even indicate where you plan on ranking that program (if it's a program that's high up on your rank list).

In Canada, things are a little more restrained, and sending thank you's aren't really expected. They can even potentially backfire on you if your recipients perceive it as a sucking-up tactic. Just my opinion.

Ian

Guest DrSahsi

My opinion... if you're going to send thank-you cards, do so only once the match is over. Otherwise, as Ian has stated, you run the risk of being perceived as a suck up. Such a gesture is not expected as part of the match, and I don't see a thank-you card working in your favour in any way.

Don't do it with any sort of expectation that it'll end up in your file or influencing your ranking.

I got one a couple of weeks after taking part in medical school admission interviews [as an interviewer, duh] one year, and it just kinda weirded me out.

- Rupinder

• 2 weeks later...
Guest macmed04

Well, I sent brief thank you emails to some people last year. Half the time I wouldn't have caught what people's names were during the interviews, but if that was the case, I just sent the person who'd coordinated everything a brief thank you note. Since I had to schedule 6 interviews for 3 different specialties, they had been really nice about helping me to schedule things that would work with the other stuff already set up.

And for instance in the U of T Anesthesia interviews, two staff spend half an hour each alone with me on a Saturday, so I felt it was appropriate there to at least say thanks for giving up part of your weekend to do the interviews. I ended up matching to that program.

I figure it can't hurt to be polite, and didn't think I'd be percieved as a suck if I kept it pretty brief. I have no idea what other classmates of mine did...

Macmed04

Guest shugavery

This is not good news for me! I read about this recommendation in Iserson's book and so I assumed the same would go for Canadian programs. I have sent a couple of thank you notes to programs but they were certainly not intended as a suck up maneuver. One of the programs took us applicants out to a higher end restaurant and so I thought it would be appropriate to thank them. Has anyone else apart from macmec04 done this? I would hope that if a note sounds sincere that it won't be taken the wrong way. Now I'm worried about it. :\

Shug

Guest marbledust

Personally if I was an interviewer and I recieved a thank you card it would not "weird me out". I would just assume the person was being polite and was grateful for the opportunity to interview. There is nothing wrong with that. I will probably send them when I interview next year.

I don't think people send them with the intention of "sucking up", nor do I think they are percieved by most interviewers as such. But that's just my opinion...

All the interviews I've been at so far have all claimed that they do their rankings the very day the interviews finished. As in, they had already ranked us before we had boarded the plane for the next stop on the Tour. So there's no way a thank you card to those particular interviewers could affect my rankings, neither good nor bad. I don't know if it is the same for other programs.

Personally, I plan to write thank you notes to the people who really stood out for me as having gone out of their way. There were some who answered questions over email, or gave tours, or airport pickups, etc. If I get on a roll, I'll write them to everyone I can remember. But really, it has been my impression that it's just not the Big Deal here that it is in the US. They seem to have a higher expectation -- and tolerance -- for things that some Canadians might see as sucking up. It's kind of weird.

Guest UWOMED2005

I agree with mying. If someone went out of their way to help me, I'd send them a note.

But I've met WAY too many interviewers. . . have of whom I can't even remember their names, to send notes to all of them.

Plus, I agree with Ian - I'd probably see a thank-you note, from some random student I'd spent 30 min with but could barely their name, as sucking up. On the other hand, a thank you note from someone I'd gone out of my way for, that would be appreciated.

Guest marbledust

Why would it be sucking up? A thank you note is not going to influence a rank list--something I am sure both interviewers and interviewees are aware of.

Thank you notes are probably not necessary. But I don't think somebody's desire to be polite or courteous should be called "sucking up."

I used to always give thank you cards to my professors at the end of the semester or school year. A lot of them commented to me that they really appreciated it, and told me that people remember little things like this. I didn't do it to suck up...I always waited until my grades were submitted. I did it because I wanted them to know I appreciated their efforts and any help they gave me during the term. It's not the same situation as carms interviews. But there is nothing wrong with taking a few seconds to send a plain thank you card.

Archived