Premed 101 Forums

Accelerated Nursing Admissions Question

dpatel87

Hi everyone,

I'm going into my fourth year at Western doing my final year in Physiology and am considering applying to accelerated nursing programs in March of 2013. I was wondering if you guys could clarify something for me, since you all have already applied. The 10 full credits Western ask for, and a few other programs ask for, would that count 2.5 credits from fourth year, 5 credits from third year, and then 2.5 credits from second year? And is grades the only thing programs look at?

Thanks for the help :)

Hi,

I went in to see Denice Litzan regarding this question since she's the academic coordinator for nursing. I took a 5th year after graduating last June to get the physiology credit and because I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted to do. She said that they would look at the 3.5 credits I took this year, 5 credits from 4th year and 1.5 credits from 3rd year. So they will likely look at 5 credits from your 4th year and 5 from 3rd. If your marks after first semester in 4th year are high enough they'll probably accept you before the end of second semester. Mine were just above last years cutoff so they waited until my final marks for April were in before accepting me. And yes UWO only looks at grades.

Hope this helps!

Thanks knw11 for that clarification.

Do you know of any other schools that offer the accelerated program for 2 years or under in duration? I know of UWO, Queens, UofT, York, Humber, UBC, and Alberta; did I miss any? And do programs out of Ontario accept out of province applicants?

Thanks again for the help

I ended with an 84 average but had just above last years cutoff of 81.4 before my final grades. Because I was so close to the cutoff they waited until they finished processing my second semester marks before accepting me. They took my highest 1.5 from 3rd year but that was only cuz I took 3.5 credits my 5th year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm setting up my fourth year timetable at the moment and was wondering do accelerated nursing programs care if you are taking some first year courses in your final year? I have some space to take 2 extra courses and I know of 2 first year courses that are super easy bird courses but I don't want to take them if first year courses in your final year is frowned upon by admissions boards. What do you guys think

Archived