Premed 101 Forums

Need advice on where to do PGY1 in Toronto

Guest macmed04

Guest macmed04

Hi there,

I've matched to Toronto Anesthesia, and now we're being asked to rank where we would like to do our PGY1 year. My options are:

1. UHN (Toronto General and Toronto Western)

2. Mt. Sinai

3. St. Michael's

4. Sunnybrook and Women's

I was wondering if anyone who has done or is doing clerkship rotations in Toronto has any advice on where is a good place to be. And for those who know, what surgical subspecialties are offered at each site?

Thanks for your help!

Macmed04

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I obviously haven't done any clerkship rotations anywhere, but I do know a doctor who is leaving an anaesthesia post (I believe he was an attending, not a resident) at St. Mike's. Although this is very subjective, he found it to be too high stress, i.e., he had to cover too many hours, so it's possible that they may be a little short on staff. Also, if they were short-staffed to begin with, as of June, there will be even one more less. :rolleyes

Best of luck with your residency. I'm sure you'll have some great experiences here in Toronto. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest macmed04

Thanks Kirsteen. I should probably clarify that we only do 2 months of Anesthesia in PGY1, so I'm more concerned with getting a good experience in the 2 months each of Medicine, Surgery, Peds, Ob/Gyn, and whatever I pick to do for an elective.

Maybe there is no real difference between the sites?

Macmed04

Guest Ian Wong

Hey, congrats on matching Toronto Gas! :) Akane would probably know the best; generally for your internship year, the smaller hospitals outside the tertiary environment are a better bet. Usually less scut, less subspecialty services running around micromanaging your patients, and a more autonomous year which hopefully includes getting more hands-on time for yourself.

Ian

Guest physiology

Hello,

What about the hospital for sick children? Do you eventually work there as a resident?

And if you specialize in pediatric anaesthesia, is it 6 years?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ian Wong

Hey, congrats!

I just wanted to follow-up with you to see if you've chosen a site for your PGY-1 year yet. If you're still looking for advice, I could try looking up one of my classmates who's doing a Radiology residency at TO; he might have some ideas. You can send me an email if you're interested: mdpremie@yahoo.com

Ian

Archived