Premed 101 Forums

My Chances to get accepted to US medical Schools, Please read

Hi everyone,

I just graduated from Biology program. I would deeply appreciate if you guys could share your thoughts and ideas about my situation.

My CGPA is 3.0. However not only my last year GPA is a 4.0 but also I managed to complete a Thesis Project, that undergraduate students usually tend to avoid.

I was wondering whether there are any American schools out there that I could apply to and hope to be accepted.

If you have any ideas, please share... it is my dream to become a doctor and this is not the end of line for me... I am willing to go through anything just to achieve my goal.

Thank you,

Hi everyone,

I just graduated from Biology program. I would deeply appreciate if you guys could share your thoughts and ideas about my situation.

My CGPA is 3.0. However not only my last year GPA is a 4.0 but also I managed to complete a Thesis Project, that undergraduate students usually tend to avoid.

I was wondering whether there are any American schools out there that I could apply to and hope to be accepted.

If you have any ideas, please share... it is my dream to become a doctor and this is not the end of line for me... I am willing to go through anything just to achieve my goal.

Thank you,

Good work on the last year. However, even if your 3rd year was that good (4.0), your cumulative average is too low for US MD schools. You probably have a good shot at DO schools.

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your thought. I was actually looking into DO programs just now. My third year GPA was not as good as my last year. I also forgot to mention, and its that I have a year of volunteering at a hospital, and I will write my MCAT in the begining of September...

based on these info... do you think you can help me on this matter more specifically?

I really appreciate any idea that you could share

Good work on the last year. However, even if your 3rd year was that good (4.0), your cumulative average is too low for US MD schools. You probably have a good shot at DO schools.

I disagree. I don't know what stats you're referring to but a 3.0 cGPA definitely does not give you a "good shot" at any American med schools, DO or MD. Have you thought about taking a 5th year and doing really well and apply to Western and Queen's?

Also, taking your MCAT in September is considered quite late for this application cycle (US) as your scores won't get in till October.

So you are saying that I have no chances of getting accepted to any DO schools with a last year GPA of 4.0?

and if I do not apply this summer, then I have to apply next year which makes gives me 2 years of gap...

is there any other alternatives? such as medical schools or DO schools with less expectations? or studying in foriegn countries?

I just can't decide what is right or wrong in this situation that I am right now

So you are saying that I have no chances of getting accepted to any DO schools with a last year GPA of 4.0?

and if I do not apply this summer, then I have to apply next year which makes gives me 2 years of gap...

is there any other alternatives? such as medical schools or DO schools with less expectations? or studying in foriegn countries?

I just can't decide what is right or wrong in this situation that I am right now

I didn't say you have "no chances", because I'm not the admissions committee. But if you look at the SDN "underdogs" threads, you'll see that even most of the "underdogs" have at least a 3.4 GPA, and we're talking in state, non international applicants who are struggling to get in.

If you're keen on applyingthis cycle, I would try the Caribbean.

EDIT: med schools in the states look at your cGPA & sGPA, unfortunately I don't think your last year of 4.0 will be able to compensate for your cGPA of 3.0, although the upward trend is impressive!

Amazing! Would you be willing to share the other aspects of your application? Ony if you don't mind!:)

Thousands of volunteer hours, no research, upward trend, mid-30s MCAT. It was either go DO or do an SMP, and I chose the former.

Thousands of volunteer hours, no research, upward trend, mid-30s MCAT. It was either go DO or do an SMP, and I chose the former.

Mid 30s mcat ...we got a winner

That made up for ur gpa

OP it depends on ur mcat u do need a 30+

DOs have a strict 3.0 gpa...as min

Msu is getting very attractive for can med students

The stats will jump up fast as can leave the ont dream of medschool

3.4 I think will. E key if u cannot get 30+

do you recommend me to apply to DO and some MD schools now? or should I wait until Oct when I receive my MCAT score?

I'm not sure, but I think that it would make my application look better if I receive a good MCAT score and then apply rather than just applying without any MCAT score... Am I right?

For DO, a 30 may get you in depending on your extracurriculars. Also, they like applicants who actually have some insight on the profession. Have you shadowed a DO? Can you get a reference letter from one? Do you know what differentiates a DO vs MD if asked on interviews?

For MD, you have very little chance to get into us schools because 1) your late MCAT score + rolling admissions and more importantly 2) your low GPA. If you are dead set on US MD schools, you need a high MCAT score and a lot of luck. Alternatives are SMP (not recommended) and doing a fifth year to raise your grades to 3.3ish and apply both to Canadian schools (some take best 2 years) and US MD/DO schools if you have >33 MCAT (30 for DO).

With the medical system changing now (new med schools opening/increasing med school seats while the number of residency spots remain approximately the same) in both us and Canada. I would strongly discourage the international route.

good luck

For DO, a 30 may get you in depending on your extracurriculars. Also, they like applicants who actually have some insight on the profession. Have you shadowed a DO? Can you get a reference letter from one? Do you know what differentiates a DO vs MD if asked on interviews?

For MD, you have very little chance to get into us schools because 1) your late MCAT score + rolling admissions and more importantly 2) your low GPA. If you are dead set on US MD schools, you need a high MCAT score and a lot of luck. Alternatives are SMP (not recommended) and doing a fifth year to raise your grades to 3.3ish and apply both to Canadian schools (some take best 2 years) and US MD/DO schools if you have >33 MCAT (30 for DO).

With the medical system changing now (new med schools opening/increasing med school seats while the number of residency spots remain approximately the same) in both us and Canada. I would strongly discourage the international route.

good luck

could not have said it better myself

the face of intl med is going to see a huge reversal...

look how aggressive the DOs have grown

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/predoctoral%20accreditation/Documents/new-and-developing-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine-and-campuses.pdf

in the last 5 years there was 5 new DOs schools...plus sat campuses...

i think the intl might be killed off

I've been considering the top 4 Caribbean Medical schools, but Ive heard that the chance for getting residency will be getting lowered in future, so Im just going to focus on US DO schools...

As I mentioned before, I'm graduated from Biology program with a CGPA 3.0 and and final GPA of 4.0 would anyone recommend me to take one extra year or apply for a Masters degree?

and if you recommend me to stay one extra year, Could anyone tell me what courses I should take, in order to increase my GPA and also to make my application look better?

Archived