Premed 101 Forums

Post some advice for Prospective 'Accelerated Nursing Program' Student

dpatel87

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if all the students who had applied to the accelerated nursing programs across Canada could give some advice and pointers to prospective students. Whether you've gotten accepted, waitlisted, or rejected, any advice would be helpful. Things like what your GPA was when applying, what extra things we should look for while applying, what to do (and not to do), and whatever else you think will be helpful.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hey! I did the accelerated program in Ottawa. I think having strong GPA and experience/demonstrated interest in health care are definitely assets! The class sizes are usually quite small and so you want to be as competitive as possible! Take examples from your daily life and show how and why you would be a good nurse! Things like compassion and empathy are givens, but nurses need good judgment and decision making skills, they need to be efficient and good at multi tasking, able to cope with stress and work under pressure etc etc...

Hope that helps!!

• 3 weeks later...

I got in to Mac, Western, and Humber (the only 3 I applied to), and my GPA wasn't killer. I have 80% over 4 years of undergrad.

Western and Humber looked solely at my grades, so I got into Western in June (probably after other people declined their offers). I was waitlisted at Humber until this past week, they just offered me admission (but I declined, I'm going to Mac).

Mac you have to complete a supplementary application, which for me works out better because I've done a lot of things outside of academics! So I got into Mac in April -- obviously due to my supplementary!

If you're interested in applying to Mac, make sure you really think about their questions for the supplementary, and try to make your answers as detailed but concise as possible (there are word limits). Get someone to read over them, or if you don't trust anyone to be critical then try reading it a few days after you first write it and edit it with some distance. Also consider their PBL program, and whether this is a good fit for you. :)

I got in to Mac, Western, and Humber (the only 3 I applied to), and my GPA wasn't killer. I have 80% over 4 years of undergrad.

Western and Humber looked solely at my grades, so I got into Western in June (probably after other people declined their offers). I was waitlisted at Humber until this past week, they just offered me admission (but I declined, I'm going to Mac).

Mac you have to complete a supplementary application, which for me works out better because I've done a lot of things outside of academics! So I got into Mac in April -- obviously due to my supplementary!

If you're interested in applying to Mac, make sure you really think about their questions for the supplementary, and try to make your answers as detailed but concise as possible (there are word limits). Get someone to read over them, or if you don't trust anyone to be critical then try reading it a few days after you first write it and edit it with some distance. Also consider their PBL program, and whether this is a good fit for you. :)

I'm considering UofT, Queens, Mac, Humber, and Western. The programs that look at a supplymentary form is really going to help me because my cumulative average isnt amazing but I'm expected my last 10 credits to be pretty good (fingers crossed). But I've never heard of this PBL program, could you possible elaborate please?

I'm considering UofT, Queens, Mac, Humber, and Western. The programs that look at a supplymentary form is really going to help me because my cumulative average isnt amazing but I'm expected my last 10 credits to be pretty good (fingers crossed). But I've never heard of this PBL program, could you possible elaborate please?

Mac's program is "PBL", which stands for problem-based learning. You can read about it here: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/education_undergrad.html

"The School of Nursing pioneered problem-based learning (PBL) in nursing education and we continue to believe that this approach best prepares our students for the roles that they will hold after graduation. PBL involves small-group, self-directed learning that emphasizes interpersonal skills, independent learning, and leadership qualities. Learning is a process of inquiry, a skill to develop as a life-long activity in an environment conducive to openness and sharing between faculty and students. Emphasis on small-group tutorials and self-directed learning promotes the development of critical thinking abilities and self-evaluation skills. In addition to the professionals who will teach you throughout your time here at the School of Nursing, extensive multi media, laboratory and library resources support you in independent study. Students apply concepts from nursing and related disciplines to their experiences in classroom, laboratory, and clinical settings."

They'll ask you whether it's a good fit for you in their supplementary application.

• 3 months later...

If a lot of student are applying for 'Accelerated Nursing Program' and you want a better merit structure for them. You need to organize some sort of Entry test which might be objective type. Then forward required and qualified students group discussion and before an interview panel. Who will then decide for the final merit list.

• 1 month later...

I will not tell a lie. Nursing school is one of the hardest things I have ever done. When I speak to other nursing students, I realized in the first two semesters a lot of us were going through similar life experiences all while studying for pathophysiology and pharmacology (the two hardest classes you will take in nursing school). We were all dealing with family issues, relationship issues, financial issues, etc. As inconvenient as it may be, life still goes on while you try to place things on hold in order to focus on studying and passing exams.

• 6 months later...
I will not tell a lie. Nursing school is one of the hardest things I have ever done. When I speak to other nursing students, I realized in the first two semesters a lot of us were going through similar life experiences all while studying for pathophysiology and pharmacology (the two hardest classes you will take in nursing school). We were all dealing with family issues, relationship issues, financial issues, etc. As inconvenient as it may be, life still goes on while you try to place things on hold in order to focus on studying and passing exams.

Hi Amanda,

How were you able to cope with all the stress that we face while in uni. Did the stresses affect your or others GPA? Do lot of student fail courses in nursing or drop out half way from the degree?

Archived