Premed 101 Forums

Nursing or Occupational therapy

kdp

Hey guys!

So I am in desperate need for some advice! I got into the second entry nursing program as well as occupational therapy. I am honestly torn between the two options.

I particularly like nursing because of the variety of practice areas and settings you can work in. I absolutely love change. Also there are plenty of travel opportunities for nurses. However, I am not particularly fond of cleaning body fluids or 12 hour shifts (but I could suck it up and do it).

On the other hand, I have worked as a personal support worker for individuals who have an intellectual disability throughout my undergrad. I absolutely love it and hence, my initial attraction to occupational therapy. Its definitely a clean job, and its also 9-5. However, since its a masters degree, there isn't much scope for career advancement. So if I want a change the only thing i can do is change the setting I've worked in. Also it is monotonous because you're pretty much telling your patients what to do and not really doing anything yourself ... which I personally find makes time go by really slow (in short not a fan of routine).

So getting to the point (finally right? LOL) I was just wondering why you guys want to go into/ or went into nursing. And for those of you currently in nursing, do you regret your choice?

Thanks a ton! Can't wait to here from you all :)

I'm sure OT's can offer more insight since I'm in PT, but the job situation at the moment isn't the greatest for OT's and it can be quite difficult to get that 9-5 job.

Nursing is a tough profession (shift work and physical nature of the job), but there is a wider range of directions and opportunities that you can pursue, whereas like you were saying OT is limited.

Wish I could offer more insight, but these have been my observations so far.

Good luck with your choice!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys!

So I am in desperate need for some advice! I got into the second entry nursing program as well as occupational therapy. I am honestly torn between the two options.

I particularly like nursing because of the variety of practice areas and settings you can work in. I absolutely love change. Also there are plenty of travel opportunities for nurses. However, I am not particularly fond of cleaning body fluids or 12 hour shifts (but I could suck it up and do it).

On the other hand, I have worked as a personal support worker for individuals who have an intellectual disability throughout my undergrad. I absolutely love it and hence, my initial attraction to occupational therapy. Its definitely a clean job, and its also 9-5. However, since its a masters degree, there isn't much scope for career advancement. So if I want a change the only thing i can do is change the setting I've worked in. Also it is monotonous because you're pretty much telling your patients what to do and not really doing anything yourself ... which I personally find makes time go by really slow (in short not a fan of routine).

So getting to the point (finally right? LOL) I was just wondering why you guys want to go into/ or went into nursing. And for those of you currently in nursing, do you regret your choice?

Thanks a ton! Can't wait to here from you all :)

Currently have one year left in a second entry accelerated nursing program. I went into nursing because I like the health profession and working with people -- typical answer. I can't speak to too much, I'm still a student -- but I can tell you I've already been into some pretty nasty stuff. Diabetic ulcers that have become necrotic smell absolutely horrible. I've dealt with a lot of bodily fluids throughout my clinicals. Something I was absolutely not thrilled to be having to deal with when I was considering nursing ... but if you think about it, it's so much worse for the patient to be going through that than you "having" to deal with it seems pretty insignificant.

There are 12 hour shifts yes, and it can be exhausting. It depends what area you are in as well. Some hospitals have PSWs to do more personal care. I'll say however that the education component is sorely lacking in terms of hardcore physiology/anatomy etc.

• 3 months later...

i am a nurse ( 3 years now ) and work with OT's so i have some knowledge of what they do. the major job difference is shift work v. 9-5. starting out as a nurse u have to do shift work. i did it as a single parent it was brutal. now i am 9-5. even with a spouse it is rough. so u may want to consider this...but, if u are single and want to do overtime you can make some good money, and yes keep building on your degree. the body fluid thing is a big portion of my day, i work in long term care...but it is a factor on every unit. think long and hard about this now, given your reluctance from the start, it is way worse than you can imagine! i still come across situations that totally gross me out and i don't actually have issues with cleaning up stuff...seriously, consider this! OT's spend a lot of time fixing wheelchairs, creating body devices, help with eating etc...very different work. meaningful work, but different....

i am a nurse ( 3 years now ) and work with OT's so i have some knowledge of what they do. the major job difference is shift work v. 9-5. starting out as a nurse u have to do shift work. i did it as a single parent it was brutal.now i am '9-5'. even with a spouse it is rough. so u may want to consider this...but, if u are single and want to do overtime you can make some good money, and yes keep building on your degree. the body fluid thing is a big portion of my day, i work in long term care...but it is a factor on every unit. think long and hard about this now, given your reluctance from the start, it is way worse than you can imagine! i still come across situations that totally gross me out and i don't actually have issues with cleaning up stuff...seriously, consider this! OT's spend a lot of time fixing wheelchairs, creating body devices, help with eating etc...very different work. meaningful work, but different....

Also a nurse here! Yep there's lot of unpleasant things we have to deal with but it comes with the job! If you have a problem cleaning bodily fluids and can't see beyond it and realize you aren't simply cleaning up after people but you are caring for them and helping them maintain dignity...then nursing school will be tough on you! Of course we don't love some of the unpleasant things we have to do, but you have to get past it. There are SO many areas of nursing you can go into and they don't all involve cleaning up after people or shift work! But while you're in school, yes you have to do the dirty work. It's like a right of passage lol!

I have been working as an RN for 1.5 years and I work in public health and have never had to do shift work outside of my training in my final year of school. I work much like a family doc or NP in a sexual health clinic and I also do vaccines and travel consults, teach prenatal classes, and a lot more! None of which involves cleaning up after people. My hours are flexible and for the most part I work 830-430.

There's lots of options out there, but you have to work hard and deal with the unpleasant stuff before you can get there!

hi belle!

yes it is possible to get a PH position right out of school but depends where u live, these jobs are competitive don't count on it

Hiiii!! :)

Yes I totally agree, but good to know there's options out there! Most people have to put in their time though...new grad initiative also offers opportunities depending where u live, that's what got me into PH.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hiiii!! :)

Yes I totally agree, but good to know there's options out there! Most people have to put in their time though...new grad initiative also offers opportunities depending where u live, that's what got me into PH.

I'm hoping to get a PH job, lol hope it happens. Do you know if there is a demand for them in Toronto? Or is it pretty hard to get one? Thanks!

Nursing is tough, I've been graduated since April now. I work on an acute Neurosciences unit, one of two such units in the province. We do 12 hour shifts, although there is some flexibility into sometimes doing 8s.

That said, you get used to the shifts. I do 12's and am back at university now full-time finishing my BSc in Biochem/Microbi. I still get tired from shifts, but not nearly the way I used to. And as for bodily fluids, you get used to it (although I can still say I don't care much for icky feet... ingrown toenails ugh :S )

OT can be a great and rewarding profession, and is not as hard on the body generally. Growth isn't necessarily always limited though, my Aunt is an OT and now manages the Rehab unit at the hospital she works at. Mind you, such management jobs are highly competitive and far and few.

In choosing your options, think about what you'd like more, hours, pay/benefits, etc. You'll get a job in either post-grad, although likely would have to start as a casual OT.

• 2 weeks later...

Try changing your thinking around 12 hour shifts. It's a bit of a pain doing them, but typically you do 2 days, 2 nights then 5 off. It's like a mini vacation every 9 days. If you are like me, just don't answer the phone when people call for OT, so you can relax. Also, having been an RN for 7.5 years, I can say that the 12 hour shifts seem to get shorter the longer you do them to the point where eventually it is just part of your routine and you don't even think twice about it. The odd time I have worked an 8 hour shift, the day seemed incredibly short.

Plus, with nursing you will NEVER be out of a job provided you have a small amount of flexibility around what area you work in.

Archived