Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted - Hamilton Campus

Timestamp: May 14 7:45 AM

cGPA: 3.94

CARS: 130

Interview: Felt that a few stations were iffy, especially the acting. There were a couple that went really well, articulated some unique ideas really well, got the interviewers engaged. 

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: IP

This is a dream come true, being from Hamilton, driving passed Mac everyday on my way to high school, always hoping this day would come. I am almost certainly going here, congrats to everyone who received offers and waitlists - I am excited to meet you all! I have no qualifications to encourage those who did not receive an offer, all I can say is that this process is extremely grueling and confusing at times, I have heard countless times that persitence is key, and I hope you don't give up! 

On 5/23/2018 at 6:09 PM, iFlayx said:

Result: Accepted off waitlist (2:14PM)

CARS: 129

GPA: 3.56 (Got lucky with CASPer I guess)

Interview: Felt great coming out, I guess it really worked out for me.

Year: Graduated B.Sc in 2016

Good luck to everyone! It is possible with a low GPA, just try your best and things will work out with some luck :)

Damn dude, you weren't a Master's student? I've never seen anyone with that GPA get in. Guess that gives people some hope! 

Result: Waitlist

Timestamp: May 14 7:53 AM

cGPA: 3.86

CARS: 130

Interview: Maybe 2 really good ones, couple good ones, and half were mediocre or shaky. 

Feeling a bit disappointed in myself not at the result but mainly because I know I didn't give it my all during the real interview...hopefully if things don't work out will end up getting another chance at mac next year. 

Congrats to everyone who made it in this year :)

Excited for my first post, been waiting to make this for a while!

Result: ACCEPTED!  Hamilton campus

Timestamp: May 14 7:47am

cGPA: 3.98

Cars: 128

Year: Took a year off after graduating from Mac

MMI: I think I did well on this because I had a clear structure for each of my answers, which made them really easy for the interviewers to follow.  I liked the MMi format because I had time to think about my answers before speaking with the interviewer.

Congrats to everyone with offers!  If you're on the waitlist, it looks like there is quite a bit of movement for McMaster so keep hoping and you may be surprised!  This is my second time applying so don't think that you need to get in right off the bat!

Result: Accepted

Time-stamp: 7:49 AM

cGPA: 3.45 at Mac lol

CARS: 129

CASPer:  Practiced A LOT. Read Doing Right, improved my typing speed. I think the most important thing was actually paying for practice and scoring, but obviously it's unclear if that's what helped the most.

ECs: Yup a bunch of stuff. Pretty confident here.

MMI: Felt that my Mac interviews went well! I really like MMI, and honestly doubling down on CASPer made interviews/MMIs easier I found. Be yourself I guess :) 

Year: Graduated BSc in 2017

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: May 14 7:48 AM

cGPA: 3.69

Interview: Felt good

Year: Completed Masters, worked for a few years, very non-traditional path. If interested in ECs, message me :)

To those who have a low GPA: I got 4 interviews and 3 admissions offers (and one waitlist). You can do it and don't give up :) 

Result: Waitlisted

Time-stamp: 7:54 AM

cGPA: 3.84

CARS: 129

MMI: My impression right after was 1 really good, 1 good, 3 satisfactory, 3 below average, and 2 terrible

Year: 2nd year Master's

This was my first MMI experience and I thought my performance was a bit shaky. I learned tons though and started thinking about ways to improve for next year right after coming out. I expected either a rejection or the waitlist and am glad it's the latter!

Result: Accepted, Hamilton

Time-stamp: 7:47 AM (but saw on OMSAS at midnight)

cGPA: 3.67

CARS: 130

CASPer: Tons of practice to make up for my GPA. Used a lot of free online resources

MMI: Prepped for a long time with friends and fellow applicants. Felt good about most of the stations except 2. One station I got distracted halfway through and totally blanked/missed the question. Started doubting myself in the weeks after

Thrilled for this opportunity! Congrats everyone & best of luck to anyone on the waitlist :) 

Accepted to Hamilton Campus

Timestamp: May 14th, 7:48 AM

cGPA: 3.90 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 516 (128/128/130/130)

ECs: 7 years as a lifeguard and swim instructor, Student recruitment position at the university I attended, numerous university clubs (mental health awareness, tutoring positions, etc). Hospital volunteering (2 years), medical mission volunteer in Haiti, Rotary club member, guest speaker at leadership conference, etc. Message me for more details if you want. No research experience!

Casper: Felt pretty good. Always hard to tell but I typed as fast as I could and touched on what I thought to be most important. 

Interview: Coming out of it, I felt really good. I prepped a lot for MMI style interviews. Started on a station with a question I was really passionate about on a topic I was very familiar with, which I think helped a lot. Left feeling like I was in a good spot honestly. Definitely started overthinking in the days that followed and beat myself up over a few stations. One station I completely misunderstood the question, and another station I ended with a decent amount of time left which I found awkward because I was able to fill the time on most. Most stations I definitely felt good about. 

Year: Finishing up masters program (course-based)

I have been waiting to post here for years! Feels so good and am very excited. Will either be accepting this offer or U of T. Don't give up on your dreams guys! I wish all of you the best. I know how tough this journey is - I took the MCAT four times, applied 2 full cycles without any interviews before finally being given a shot on my third cycle, took a year off after undergrad, and did a one-year masters. The dream is absolutely possible. Keep working hard! If anyone needs any advice or encouragement or anything, please message me!

Really excited to be posting this to a few different threads... This is my third cycle applying to medical schools across Canada. The first time (2016) I was rejected from 6 schools post-interview, the second time I was waitlisted but never got off the waitlist. I then took a year off from applying to graduate from my Physiotherapy degree and work for a bit to save up money and gain experience. AND I FINALLY RECEIVED MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE THIS YEAR (4 acceptances, 1 waitlist). I am still in shock, this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life, and there were so many times where I questioned if I was good enough and debated giving up. To all those that didn't receive good news today, please don't give up on your dreams! Trust me, it will be worth it.

Result: Accepted

Geography: OOP (From AB)

GPA: 3.95 for OMSAS

MCAT: 514 (127/130/128/129)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (2016), Masters of Science in Physical Therapy (Dec 2018)

E.C: Variety, I have worked in a hospital in Calgary as Physical Therapist for the past 5 months, I compete in Powerlifting (have competed at the national and world level for Team Canada), was on the University rowing and swimming team, President of 2 clubs in university, Medical Volunteer trip to Nepal, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Hungry, etc. Random jobs (Earl's, Starbucks, Ringette Referee, etc). Haven't done any research (which is something my application has always been missing)

Interview: Very hard to tell, I have had so many interviews and have been unsuccessful at all of them so I never get my hopes up anymore. I just tried to be myself. Interviews have always been the weakest part of my application. I am very social and able to make friends and connections with my patients, but something about bragging about myself has always been uncomfortable for me. My first round of applying, I didn't practice at all and was always concerned about feeling too conceited. I have learnt the hard way that you can't be successful in Med school interviews trying to be modest. The past few years I have practiced talking about my accomplishments with confidence and not trying to down play them, which has finally paid off!

After changing my mind 1000x, I have finally decided that I will be declining this offer for U of A, but SO SO excited to finally be able to say I did it after all this time. Congratulations to everyone else that has gotten accepted, especially those that have taken multiple years like myself. And once again, to those that haven't gotten accepted, I know the feeling, but please don't let it define you. I believe in you!!!!!

Result: Waitlisted     (EDIT: Accepted off waitlist to Hamilton campus on June 13th)

Time-stamp: May 14th, 7:53 am

cGPA: 3.99

CARS: 128

CASPer: Doesn't matter anymore

MMI: Nobody knows, felt like a mixed bag of great and super awkward.

Year: Final year UG

Edited by RPN-RN-MD
Update

Result: Waitlisted

Time-stamp: May 14th, 7:54 am

cGPA: 3.8x 

MCAT: 517 (132 CARS)

CASPer: unknowable

MMI: few stations felt great, most average, one dud

ECs: balanced but research heavy, first author paper, bunch of contributing pubs and conference posters. 

Year: Non-trad, MSc complete, 2 years of working in biotech

Result: Accepted

Time-stamp: May 14th, 7:47 am

cGPA: 3.88 

MCAT: 129 CARS

CASPer: Got an Ottawa interview too so not bad!

MMI: A couple not so hot, but came out feeling okay about the experience. Not amazing, but okay.

Year: 1 year master's

Congratulations to all accepted :) Choosing between schools now, but likely will be declining this offer

On 5/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, mcpremed97 said:

Result: Accepted Hamilton

Time-stamp: 7:54 AM

cGPA: 3.97

CARS: 131

MMI: Felt like 2 stations were super bad and ran out of things to say at one. The rest felt okay.

Year: 4th year UG (just finished)

Geography: OOP

Super shocked I got in tbh. Feeling very grateful :) 

Hey i know i'm being neurotic but... are you sure your timestamp was 7:54 and not 7:45 ahaha or do you have a last name that starts with a letter late into the alphabet?

I'm on the waitlist trying to figure out whether the timestamp indicates where I am on the waitlist... :( 

50 minutes ago, MacMedManiac said:

Result: Accepted off waitlist

Timestamp: May 22 10:33AM

cGPA: 3.89

Interview: thought it went well. I was one of the first few off the waitlist so it must've been alright.

Year: 4th year UG

Wow congrats! What was the time stamp of your initial waitlist email?

On 5/15/2019 at 5:54 AM, targaryen said:

May 28

Thanks!