Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

I can't believe I finally get to write one of these.....

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: too low to mention lol

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: P

cGPA: 3.90-ish

Second time applying, MSc student

Applied: Mac, Ottawa (rejected pre-interview; stupid ABS), NOSM (rejected pre-interview)

Interviewed: Mac

Accepted: Mac (Niagara regional campus)

Overall, my Mac interview went well. I think I only messed up one or two stations.

Thought i would provide some info for the curious.

I'm an Ontario resident, who was writing up a PhD thesis upon time of application

cGPA: 3.73

I have never written the MCAT's

First time applying

Applied: Mac, Ottawa

Accepted: Mac

Overall, my Mac interview went well. As it went along, I just had fun with it and wasn't over-stressed. Good luck everybody

I'm still in disbelief that I got accepted just today...

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: I did bad : )

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: Q

cGPA: 3.96

First time applying, BHSc student at mac

Accepted: Mac (Waterloo regional campus)

Overall, I thought I screwed up on the interview... but who knew I would be receiving an offer today. :)

Still can't believe I get to write one of these...

No MCAT

cGPA: 3.88

Interviewed: Mac, Ottawa

Accepted (off waitlist today): Mac (Hamilton Campus)

Waitlisted: Ottawa

It's hard to gauge (even now) how I did on the MMI, but I definitely had fun at the stations and was made to feel as comfortable as possible. In hindsight, I feel like I could have answered better at a few stations but I definitely gave it all during the interview...

MCAT: P/V/B --> 12/11/13 --> 36T

cGPA: 3.98

3rd year student @ UofT

Accepted (off waitlist today): Mac (Hamilton Campus) - one hit wonder!

(I didn't apply to any other schools despite a good MCAT because my results didn't come out until October and I didn't feel like applying to other schools when there was a chance I could have ****ed up my MCAT)

Interview: I felt it went alright, but felt worse and worse about it as time went on. I said a few absurd/extreme things in some of the stations. I also didn't feel that I prepared well. I kind of put it off and tried to convince myself that spontaneity and unscripted responses would seem more genuine. Overall, I didn't think I impressed many of my interviewers, but I didn't feel like I bombed any stations either. A B- performance...

I am currently in a Master's at UofT, and I did my undergrad at McMaster.

OMSAS GPA (undergrad): 3.89

Never wrote the MCAT!

Applied to: Mac, Ottawa

Interviewed: Mac, Ottawa

Accepted: Mac (Hamilton Campus) from the waitlist!

Waitlisted: Ottawa (good waitlist)

I felt my Mac interview was so-so, actually. There were at least 2 stations where I walked out of the room and knew that could have gone a lot better. I was exhausted by the end of it because my rest station was my last station! I'm so surprised and so lucky to be called off the waitlist.

Good luck to all other waitlistees out there!

Just got in from the waitlist.

GPA: 3.88

Undergrad: 4th year, Biology (honours) (Carleton)

Extracurricular activities: lots of leadership throughout high school and university (NO student council positions, for the record), volunteer work in medical and non-medical fields, international experience with a Carleton team, in-class TA for a few years in undergrad (love teaching, especially science). As for sports, I do a lot of recreational sports out of interest, but nothing strictly competitive.

Interview: It was hard to say how it went. some stations went well, others were okay. One station, I was SPEECHLESS (it was a deer-in-the-headlights kinda station for me). Two stations, I felt they could have gone much better.

Good luck to those waiting and can't wait to meet the rest!

I had to think long and hard about med vs. dent but I've decide to take the med route. Here are my stats:

Undergrad: 3rd year Medical Sciences from UWO

GPA: 3.97

MCAT Scores: 11P 9V 10B O

This was my first time applying.

Applied: Mac, UofT, Ottawa, Queens

Accepted: Mac (Waterloo Campus) off the waitlist on May 29

Extracurricular activities: Very basic - work for the past 4 summers, tutoring/mentoring, hospital volunteering, some one day volunteering events, several intramural sports, and a few high school varsity teams. (No research, international experience or leadership positions in clubs)

Interview: Preparing for the interview really helped. I did things like discuss ethical dilemmas with friends, read healthcare news and self-reflection. After the interview, I felt like I nailed about 1/3 of the stations, 1/3 went fair and the last third I kept playing over and over in my head for many weeks because I could've answered them better.

Congratulations to everyone else who got in and good luck to those on the waitlist. Feel free to PM me if you have any Qs.

GPA-3.99

MCAT - not worth mentioning.......

Applied- Mac (2nd time)

Interviewed-Mac

Accepted- Mac (off waitlist today)

Interview- felt really good when I finished it but as days passed on, started realizing could have done better.....................

Exracurricular activities----Not very extraordinary.......but includes.....fundraisings, 2.5 years of employment at the hospital, volunteer at ER, attended several conferences.....spanish classes........(no experience in research though)...............

Its hard to be on the waiting list.......have to be really patient ........I understand the anxiety (checking your mails every 1/4 th of a second...........) but patience and hardwork pays off......your wishes do come true one day........

Will see you alll in August...........................................

GPA : 3.87

MCAT : 13P 9V 11B R

Applied : Ontario (I found out about my verbal score too late to cancel my applications to Western/Queen's)

Interviewed : NOSM, McMaster

Accepted: McMaster

First time applying.

Extracurriculars: Pretty well involved in university in various clubs, work experience in a variety of industries, mostly health-related. Some research experience.

Interview: WHERE DO THEY COME UP WITH THESE QUESTIONS? (NOSM on the other hand, was textbook MMI). I was on pure adrenaline the whole time and by the end I felt about ready to go out and get wasted. Also, there were moments afterwards where I'd recall something and completely CRINGE, but overall I thought it went mediocre-good.

I really hope my post can give hope and motivation to people from other programs to apply to Medical school. Also, I have a low GPA too, so if I can do it, you can too.

Undergrad: just finished my 4 yrs of nursing at Ryerson University

GPA: 3.80

Applied to: McMaster only

Accepted from wait-list: McMaster - Hamilton campus

First time applying

Extracurricular: student government, lots of clubs, president of a MADD program for 2 yrs, marital arts, and 4 yrs+ of hospital experience.

Research: 1 publication and 2 years of research experience

Interview: I felt it went pretty well except for 2 stations. But, overall it was quite fun.

Good luck everyone and stay positive! :) And don't give up!

I really hope my post can give hope and motivation to people from other programs to apply to Medical school. Also, I have a low GPA too, so if I can do it, you can too.

Undergrad: just finished my 4 yrs of nursing at Ryerson University

GPA: 3.80

Applied to: McMaster only

Accepted from wait-list: McMaster - Hamilton campus

First time applying

Extracurricular: student government, lots of clubs, president of a MADD program for 2 yrs, marital arts, and 4 yrs+ of hospital experience.

Research: 1 publication and 2 years of research experience

Interview: I felt it went pretty well except for 2 stations. But, overall it was quite fun.

Good luck everyone and stay positive! :) And don't give up!

Congrats on the acceptance! I was really curious about the ability of success from Ryerson in general. It's awesome to see people getting in... simply because of other university's perception of Ryerson... unfounded and otherwise.

Your gpa is 3.80 though... and that is not low at all. :).

Congrats on the acceptance! I was really curious about the ability of success from Ryerson in general. It's awesome to see people getting in... simply because of other university's perception of Ryerson... unfounded and otherwise.

Your gpa is 3.80 though... and that is not low at all. :).

It's not that a 3.80 is anything to be ashamed of (its pretty good), but this cycle McMaster's formula was (if I recall correctly):

Pre-interview 66% GPA, 33% ABS

Post-interview 66% interview, 33% GPA

So for this cycle, lower GPA applicants had a big uphill battle, because it was like they got nailed for it twice.

Hi, just got in off of the wait list.

4th year undergrad at McGill

Major physiology CGPA 3.87

MCAT 39M

(VR 14, PS 13, BS 12)

Extracurriculars include two varsity teams, many intramural sports, three years hospital volunteering, summers spent as an instructor leading canoe/kayak/hiking trips.

Research experience includes the Oncology Research Scholarship and an NSERC in pediatrics. Also some experience in high school at international science competitions.

Applied: Ottawa, Mac, McGill, Queens (first time applying)

Accepted: Mac (off of wait list)

I thought the interview went fairly well…. I felt a bit like I was rambling incoherently at a few stations but that might have just been nervousness!

Looking forward to meeting everyone in September, and good luck to all those still waiting!

3rd year undergrad at UWO

Integrated Engineering, cGPA 3.94

MCAT 30Q

(VR 10, PS 11, BS 9)

Extracurriculars: International and local volunteering, Global conferences, University Solar Car team

Research: non-invasive breast cancer diagnosis via ultrasound elastography, currently working at Robarts Research Institute but they didn't know that at time of application

Applied: UWO, Mac

Accepted: Mac (off of wait list)

I thought the interview went really well and then I was taken back by being on the waiting list. Its been a tough and humbling month of waiting and I was seriously doubting its arrival. I am absolutely thrilled to be attending mac next year and can't wait to meet all of you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it is possible to complete possibly only one year of a bachelor of health sciences at Mcmaster and be allowed into Med school at Mac? I was thinking if this was possible, that I could take university bio, and chem at a university in my last two summers in high school and APs in Physics and Calculus, so that I could essentially be starting second year Health Sciences in my first year of University. Could anyone let me know if this is remotely possible.

Does anyone know if it is possible to complete possibly only one year of a bachelor of health sciences at Mcmaster and be allowed into Med school at Mac? I was thinking if this was possible, that I could take university bio, and chem at a university in my last two summers in high school and APs in Physics and Calculus, so that I could essentially be starting second year Health Sciences in my first year of University. Could anyone let me know if this is remotely possible.

No. Also, why post in this thread? Also, why not READ MAC'S WEBSITE?

this was the closest thread that i could find to my topic and mac's website does not have any info on this particular subect

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/academic_requirements.html

There are three absolute requirements for eligibility to apply to the program:

* By May 2010, applicants must have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate degree level work (30 half year credits or 15 full year credits or a combination). Applicants who do not have 30 credits complete at the time of application must submit their final undergraduate transcript with course codes and grades to McMaster by June 30, 2010 as evidence that this requirement has been met;

* By October 1, 2009 applicants must have achieved an overall OMSAS converted average of 3.00 on the 4.00 point scale.

* All applicants to the MD Program are required to write the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) prior to the deadline date of October 1st and must release their scores to OMSAS by October 13th. The score from the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT will be used in both formulae (offer of interview and advancement to Collation). A minimum score of 6 on the Verbal Reasoning component is required. The Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences and Writing Sample scores will not be considered in the selection process. MCAT test results will be accepted provided the test was written no more than five years prior to the application deadline. The most recent test result will be used for those applicants who attempt the MCAT more than once. For information on the MCAT, click here.

"In your last two summers in high school"?

So you are either in grade 10 or 11? I would worry about getting into health sci first before worrying about medicine. Also, the earliest you can get into med school is after 3rd year because you need to get at least 30 units of undergrad courses...so even if you started undergrad in second year of health sci (having already got credit for a full year of university), you would still need to do two years of undergrad, not one. Finally, as someone who just finished his third year of health sci, I can tell you that there is next to no chance that you will be allowed to "skip" the required courses in first year like Inquiry, psychobio etc. and just go into second year.

Undergrad is fun and you learn/refine many essential skills that you will need to survive in the professional world...no use trying to bypass it.

Go to Caribbean..........