Premed 101 Forums

Matching with ophthalmology.

Guest DrDre

Guest DrDre

Hey guys,

I just got admitted to medschool (first year) at UdeM and I was wondering what could I do to match with ophthalmology for my residency.

I know that I need to have good marks in my classes (pre-clerkship) and I would also need to perform well in the clerkships.

I was thinking about research, as I already have experience in research in undergrad, I was wondering what kind of research would help me for my application, should I aim for something ''eye-related'' research, or more ''surgical-related'' research.

What else can I do to improve my application??

Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Could you explain more please?

ahh not sure what they are referring too - it is a risky field to go for with the low match rates, and it is not the high income field it used to as well. It is just really hard to get OR time, the fees are and surely will be cut further, and the upfront costs are through the roof.

Still if that is what you love, it is what you love!

ahh not sure what they are referring too - it is a risky field to go for with the low match rates, and it is not the high income field it used to as well. It is just really hard to get OR time, the fees are and surely will be cut further, and the upfront costs are through the roof.

Still if that is what you love, it is what you love!

+1.

If it is truly your only passion and you are unwilling to do anything else in medicine, you have no choice but to go for it. But it rediculously competitive and it is quickly becoming commonplace that people do 1 year research fellowships after their MD just to become competitive enough to match into the field.

I've seen the CVs of many unmatched ophtho applicants and it is insane.

+1.

If it is truly your only passion and you are unwilling to do anything else in medicine, you have no choice but to go for it. But it rediculously competitive and it is quickly becoming commonplace that people do 1 year research fellowships after their MD just to become competitive enough to match into the field.

I've seen the CVs of many unmatched ophtho applicants and it is insane.

Yeah I have seen the same thing - you cannot be an obviously highly desirable field for long before something about the situation changes to make things less exciting about the field. As it was optho was just too good to last.

I saw one person be forced into family after two tries. Not a happy person, not happy at all :(

Yeah I have seen the same thing - you cannot be an obviously highly desirable field for long before something about the situation changes to make things less exciting about the field. As it was optho was just too good to last.

I saw one person be forced into family after two tries. Not a happy person, not happy at all :(

Ah the untold horror stories of matching...

CaRMS is insanely painful when you like so many different specialties and you have to rank them...

But yea, Ophto is a extremely competitive field, this year there were 39 positions across Canada and 62 people selected ophthalmology as their 1st choice specialty... 12 of them did not match.

If this is of any help, here are some data I put on an excel chart to rank the relative competitiveness of each program. I used the #applicants ranking the discipline first to #quota offered ratio to rank them. 2012 numbers.

33y2yao.jpg

Data obtained here, table 8 http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_12_e.shtml

Not much has changed since last year (http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60888)

Not trying to discourage you tho, but you better be fully aware of the amount of work you'll have to put on

CaRMS is insanely painful when you like so many different specialties and you have to rank them...

ha :) Bingo!

I really think I would have like that intern year. Just seems to be a more logical way of letting us decide things. I have to pick electives potentially before I have even done that field in clerkship. That is not a good situation.

Tell me about that, I had to BEGIN my clerkship with 2 electives 4 weeks each, and we only had a total of 4 in my institution...

ouch - where was that?

I mean not to complain about Western's setup - it is about as good as it can be. It is the overall system that has limitations.

But yea, Ophto is a extremely competitive field, this year there were 39 positions across Canada and 62 people selected ophthalmology as their 1st choice specialty... 12 of them did not match.

If this is of any help, here are some data I put on an excel chart to rank the relative competitiveness of each program. I used the #applicants ranking the discipline first to #quota offered ratio to rank them. 2012 numbers.

33y2yao.jpg

Data obtained here, table 8 http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_12_e.shtml

Not much has changed since last year (http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60888)

Not trying to discourage you tho, but you better be fully aware of the amount of work you'll have to put on

Isn't vascular surgery a fellowship after completion of general surgery residency?

New direct entry program, just started this past year.

which is why it is more competitive - you save time and are better trained in vascular techniques compared the old general surgery route.

I am still a bit nervous about that approach though - at least with general surgery there are always fall back positions.

which is why it is more competitive - you save time and are better trained in vascular techniques compared the old general surgery route.

I am still a bit nervous about that approach though - at least with general surgery there are always fall back positions.

You were a non-trad right? What was your application like?

33y2yao.jpg

Is this based on rank order list? If so, consider that programs would technically be more competitive based on these numbers because you're not including people who applied to the specialty and didn't get any interviews. Crappy, but it happens.

Is this based on rank order list? If so, consider that programs would technically be more competitive based on these numbers because you're not including people who applied to the specialty and didn't get any interviews. Crappy, but it happens.

Pretty unusual though, and some programs in smaller specialties interview almost everyone who applies.

I do know people who didn't get interviews in their top specialty at their home school, but many programs give interviews to internal applicants as a courtesy regardless.

Archived