Premed 101 Forums

placement

Guest Valani9

Guest Valani9

A quick question,

Does the school that you do your MD have an impact on your chances at getting residencies at different places?

Is someone from Queen's or UWO at a disadvantage to get placed in Toronto, (ie. as compared to a UT student)?

Thanks

Guest UWOMED2005

Yes and No.

Theoretically, doing your MD at a site where you're thinking of applying to residency give you 4 years of doing research projects, electives, and the like to get your face and name known to the department.

But, really you can match anywhere from anywhere. Western and Queen's, I think, are good examples of this. I'd guess most students who go to these schools don't intend on staying there for residency. But both schools routinely match many grads to other school's competitive programs. Some 4th years here told out class that most students wait until their electives anyways to get letters of reference. . . and you can do your electives anywhere.

For the MOST competitive programs, like Plastics, Ophthomology, ENT, often the people at UWO that match to those programs match at UWO. But not always - we matched people to ENT at UofT this year and Ophthomology at Queen's.

I hope this makes some sense, and answers your question. I'm not sure it does. . . I haven't been through CaRMS yet so I'm not 100% sure.

Archived