Premed 101 Forums

Match applicants on visa

Guest iamnuts

Guest iamnuts

www.carms.ca/stats/pgy-1_...eg.htm#top

The link showed the registration info of the match applicants. I am surprised to see 68 of the 2002 graduates are on VISA's? Are these the Americans who come to Canada for med schools and enter our match?

The 26 on visa's from McGill sounds right because some people say that there are around 22 spots reserved for Americans in each class at McGill med.

But 16 from memorial, 9 from dalhousie, 5 from western and 10 from calgary are on visa's as well? that is puzzling....

anyone has an answer to it?

Guest aneliz

Western used to have seats available for international students...I believe that there were five seats each year. This program has now been suspended...the last of the students admitted under this program are now in their third year (meds 2004). The current first (meds 2006) and second (meds 2005) year classes are ALL Canadian students. This policy is not likely to change...so all of the 2007's, 2008's, etc will also have to be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants too.

Guest iamnuts

if that's the case, then it does appear that the people on visa's are indeed american or other internationals coming to canada for med schools.

so 9 at dalhousie and 10 at calgary? i am surprised since so many of us canadians cannot get into med school here!!!

Guest aneliz

Keep in mind that the stats that you refer to are for the class of 2002...these students entered med school in 1998...and applied in 1997...needless to say, policy has shifted at many schools during that time...(tuition in Ontario has gone from $5000 to $15 000 in that time!) Even though some of those programs have now been suspended (to reflect current public sentiment and physician shortages) it takes a few years for the effects of those changes to trickle through the system. Although UWO suspended their international program in 1999, the last of the international med students won't be 'gone' from UWO until May 2004. Changes to medical schools always take a few years for the effects to be seen...

Guest iamnuts

Hey Analiz, Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies! I was looking into the applications for Mac and U of T. It seemed that they used to not accept internationals but now do.

www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/pool.htm

www.library.utoronto.ca/m...o.html#sel

I am confused as to what the real trend is?

Either accepting more of our own

or accepting internationals so they can bridge the gap in their budgets...

Archived