Premed 101 Forums

Course selection and the 60/40 rule

Hello everyone,

I'm a 4th year student at UWO and I'll be taking an extra year next year before I apply to medicine at Western and other places. Because I transferred to UWO last year, I have 4 half year courses remaining at the second year level to complete my degree, which I am considering doing this coming year. I am considering taking the courses in this order: Biology 2244A, Biology 2601A, Biology 2486A and Biology 2290G. The rest of my courses in the fall and winter sessions are all 3rd and 4th year courses. My question is, must the 60% rule be followed in both semesters separately (in which I take two second year courses in the fall session and the other two second year courses in the winter session) or is it sufficient that the 60% rule is followed for the year as a whole (in which case I would proceed to take the courses in the order listed above). This is important as this will be one of the years that I will be using for my application to medical school. Thanks for the input, as I will be choosing courses very soon and the admissions department for the Schulich School of Medicine hasn't gotten back to me yet! :(

From what I understand, the 60/40 rule applies for the entire year (i.e. both semesters together).

So for example, say you are in 3rd year. If you take 10 courses for the year, any combination is acceptable as long as 6 of the 10 courses are 3rd or 4th year courses for the year.

Cheers,

ABS

** don't forget to consult the FAQ and use the search function***

If you already have 60/40 from 1st and 2nd year for Western, would it be okay to take 50/50 in 3rd year? I know UT said that it won't disqualify you, but will they look down on it? I have to take a few 2nd year science courses for pre-requisites.

If you already have 60/40 from 1st and 2nd year for Western, would it be okay to take 50/50 in 3rd year? I know UT said that it won't disqualify you, but will they look down on it? I have to take a few 2nd year science courses for pre-requisites.

Western won't care - but that year cannot be used for gpa purposes :)

Archived