Premed 101 Forums

I'm considering transferring to Kinesiology because of the "easy" marks.

Do you think it's worth it?

I heard it was easier to get a 95% average (with hard work) in Kinesiology compared to programs in the College of Arts and Science. I just finished my second year in Arts and Science, and I was only getting low 80's in my classes.

Should I start fresh and transfer to Kinesiology?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think it's worth it?

I heard it was easier to get a 95% average (with hard work) in Kinesiology compared to programs in the College of Arts and Science. I just finished my second year in Arts and Science, and I was only getting low 80's in my classes.

Should I start fresh and transfer to Kinesiology?

I'm also considering it. If you're constantly getting low 80' in your classes maybe it's better you transfer to Kin because 3rd/4th year classes are only going to get more difficult (generally).

have you considered physiological and pharmacology? the class have lots of information but its relavent and the profs generally want you to do well and the MCs questions are straight forward.... for the majority

i got my highest grades in those classes simply because its a lot more interesting than most of the classes ive taken

Physiology and Pharmacology classes are difficult, but are interesting as well. Having taken fundamental neuroscience, I can tell you the major is not something to take lightly. Nonetheless, I believe the college of medicine might value degrees from particular programs higher than others... and also, you'll screw yourself over in medicine (given programs like biochem/anatomy/PHPY are highly relevant in medicine) if you can't do well in those courses then what guarantee is there that you'll do good in medicine?!

Physiology and Pharmacology classes are difficult, but are interesting as well. Having taken fundamental neuroscience, I can tell you the major is not something to take lightly. Nonetheless, I believe the college of medicine might value degrees from particular programs higher than others... and also, you'll screw yourself over in medicine (given programs like biochem/anatomy/PHPY are highly relevant in medicine) if you can't do well in those courses then what guarantee is there that you'll do good in medicine?!

For most schools in Canada it's all about the GPA - they generally don't give a darn what major you took. Some schools evaluate holistically but not so many as just pull the GPA.

also, you'll screw yourself over in medicine (given programs like biochem/anatomy/PHPY are highly relevant in medicine) if you can't do well in those courses then what guarantee is there that you'll do good in medicine?!

So do you think music/arts majors who get accepted into medicine struggle in medical school? Or are they just naturally intelligent students who can grasp new materials faster than normal people?

So do you think music/arts majors who get accepted into medicine struggle in medical school? Or are they just naturally intelligent students who can grasp new materials faster than normal people?

LOL... I can't tell if you are serious or joking?! If they were naturally intelligent; they would have no problems taking degrees like biochem, anat, phpy... I would be ashamed if I got into medicine and they (other medical students or staff) asked me what degree I did... oh the shame...

LOL... I can't tell if you are serious or joking?! If they were naturally intelligent; they would have no problems taking degrees like biochem, anat, phpy... I would be ashamed if I got into medicine and they (other medical students or staff) asked me what degree I did... oh the shame...

Why would you be ashamed...you managed to get in where others could not with their other degrees. Better to do a degree in a subject you are interested in and excel since it is GPA that counts in the end, not the major. Also do well on the MCAT if needed (This usually cuts out a good proportion of people). You will both be doctors in the end.

Why would you be ashamed...you managed to get in where others could not with their other degrees. Better to do a degree in a subject you are interested in and excel since it is GPA that counts in the end, not the major. Also do well on the MCAT if needed (This usually cuts out a good proportion of people). You will both be doctors in the end.
I would love to get a degree in Home Economics, and then apply to medicine. But wait...that program isn't offered anymore at the university.

To David_007

No man, there is no shame in taking a B.A. in fact, many do. Everyone takes the prereqs, and Admissions does look at the overall average of the prereqs irrespective of the degree taken. Although the changes in July may change this, at the end of the day, all Arts and Crafts degrees are essentially toilet paper degrees.

What I don't get is... why the F##k would a sociology/economics/music, etc. major want to do medicine? I would understand if those people ACTUALLY got their degree first THEN applied to medicine... instead of applying to medicine after 2 years... that plainly shows that those individuals have no interest in applying their unique background to medicine... and are doing the degree for easy marks... that plainly is shameful!

What I don't get is... why the F##k would a sociology/economics/music, etc. major want to do medicine? I would understand if those people ACTUALLY got their degree first THEN applied to medicine... instead of applying to medicine after 2 years... that plainly shows that those individuals have no interest in applying their unique background to medicine... and are doing the degree for easy marks... that plainly is shameful!

Surely you can't be serious to think these programs are easy marks?

You probably don't realize how wrong you are...

Please stop posting. :(

Well I know for a fact that it's unfair when students major in different subjects (but then compete with each other to get into medicine).

Some programs are simply easier than others. For instance, students working towards degrees that require many hours of lab time will clearly be at a disadvantage compared to students taking something that requires little or no lab. Those students will have less time to study because of the amount of lab time that is demanded out of them.

So clearly, some degrees are more stressful than others.

Well I know for a fact that it's unfair when students major in different subjects (but then compete with each other in medicine).

Some programs are simply easier than others. For instance, students working towards degrees that require many hours of lab time will clearly be at a disadvantage compared to students taking something that requires little or no lab. Those students will have less time to study because of the amount of lab time that is demanded out of them.

So clearly, some degrees are more stressful than others.

How is it unfair...you too have the option of undertaking the same path that they did.

You probably don't realize how wrong you are...

Please stop posting. :(

Guess you are one of the f@$gots that does an easy degree?! Am I right? Don't worry, once August hits I won't have time to post...

"Stressful" is exactly the thing... less stress = better marks... Have you looked at the averages coming out of Kin? Compare that to majors like biochem... you'll see the difference easily... having experienced taking BMSC courses where finals were worth 65%... while my friends in econ/kin etc write a 40% final... as well studying the copious amount of information while my peers just had to study 1/4 of what I studied... as well the complexity of the material... Evidently leads to the conclusion that there is a huge difference in majors and there are majors where a high average is easily attainable...

At this point in time... I could care less about these "pre-med" issues...

I'm thinking the majority in here are individuals doing an easy degree... no wonder you would stick up for your own choices... Just don't be embarrassed to share your major if you get into medicine... oh btw, hope you guys don't find medicine hard given whatever random degrees you've taken...

Anyone wanna go 1 vs 1 with me? I would really like to kill time with you... how about 'mvp21' you seem like the trash that I could easily pick on, no?!

Guess you are one of the f@$gots that does an easy degree?! Am I right? Don't worry, once August hits I won't have time to post...

"Stressful" is exactly the thing... less stress = better marks... Have you looked at the averages coming out of Kin? Compare that to majors like biochem... you'll see the difference easily... having experienced taking BMSC courses where finals were worth 65%... while my friends in econ/kin etc write a 40% final... as well studying the copious amount of information while my peers just had to study 1/4 of what I studied... as well the complexity of the material... Evidently leads to the conclusion that there is a huge difference in majors and there are majors where a high average is easily attainable...

At this point in time... I could care less about these "pre-med" issues...

I have also taken bmsc courses...about to finish fyi. I encourage you to do an engineering degree, then you can talk about the prestige and difficulty of your degree in the interview. Do you think the admin does not know this? There is a reason there are pre req courses.

Just because a degree is harder doesn't mean I should avoid it.

It is fair by the fact that you can take the "easy" degree and do well too. You can also choose to take the "hard" degree and do equally as well, either way it is your choice. I was hoping you would come to this conclusion on your own when I asked you to think "how is it unfair...". Wouldn't you say it is harder to do well with a sociology degree due to the subjectivity, whereas in Science, it is concrete answers?

Archived