Premed 101 Forums

I'm considering transferring to Kinesiology because of the "easy" marks.

ok i just want to say this:

there are obvious degrees that are a little bit easier to obtain better marks (kin for example) but however, for me (and perhaps many others), i always get better marks in a class/major that im interested in.

i am currently in PHPY and i would not consider it a easy major but i wont switch to kin because i think PHPY is so much more interesting and if i had to do another degree (hopefully not), i would still pick something i like (such as BIOC or MCIM)..

this situation that is presented to us "pre-meds" is both fair and unfair. it is fair because everyone have the chance to pick their own major and unfair because indeed, some major are a bit easier than other (there is just no way that all of the majors are of the same difficulty level).

for med admissions, they could set a "medicine approved" majors but however, i think it would be nice to get a much wider variety of people in a class of medicine with everyone working together and helping each other to achieve a common goal in the end. in addition, it could be beneficial in the healthcare field to have doctors with a wider variety of backgrounds and knowledge.

this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is fair by the fact that you can take the "easy" degree and do well too. You can also choose to take the "hard" degree and do equally as well, either way it is your choice. I was hoping you would come to this conclusion on your own when I asked you to think "how is it unfair...". Wouldn't you say it is harder to do well with a sociology degree due to the subjectivity, whereas in Science, it is concrete answers?

You still have to write research essays in the BMSC program. And no one ever gets a 100% on those essays. I'm pretty sure third- and fourth-year biology/chemistry/etc majors have to write essay reports (that are NEVER given a 100%). So in a way, science majors still face a subjective component in their programs (as well as having to invest hours and hours doing labs).

ok i just want to say this:

there are obvious degrees that are a little bit easier to obtain better marks (kin for example) but however, for me (and perhaps many others), i always get better marks in a class/major that im interested in.

i am currently in PHPY and i would not consider it a easy major but i wont switch to kin because i think PHPY is so much more interesting and if i had to do another degree (hopefully not), i would still pick something i like (such as BIOC or MCIM)..

this situation that is presented to us "pre-meds" is both fair and unfair. it is fair because everyone have the chance to pick their own major and unfair because indeed, some major are a bit easier than other (there is just no way that all of the majors are of the same difficulty level).

for med admissions, they could set a "medicine approved" majors but however, i think it would be nice to get a much wider variety of people in a class of medicine with everyone working together and helping each other to achieve a common goal in the end. in addition, it could be beneficial in the healthcare field to have doctors with a wider variety of backgrounds and knowledge.

this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree

Like I've said numerous times before, everyone should write the MCAT. That way, science majors (and students who take more stressful degrees) will still have an advantage. They will already be familiar with much of the material that will be tested on the MCAT (and also will be prepared for the stress) that comes with preparing for/taking the MCAT.

Like I've said numerous times before, everyone should write the MCAT. That way, science majors (and students who take more stressful degrees) will still have an advantage. They will already be familiar with much of the material that will be tested on the MCAT (and also will be prepared for the stress) that comes with preparing for/taking the MCAT.

i agree, MCAT should be a requirement for UofS (pre-req is not a good substitute)... for many classes, you can do decently well through memorization but for the MCAT, a relatively deeper understanding of concepts through reading the passage and application of the knowledge learned is needed to do well

I'm thinking the majority in here are individuals doing an easy degree... no wonder you would stick up for your own choices... Just don't be embarrassed to share your major if you get into medicine... oh btw, hope you guys don't find medicine hard given whatever random degrees you've taken...

Anyone wanna go 1 vs 1 with me? I would really like to kill time with you... how about 'mvp21' you seem like the trash that I could easily pick on, no?!

LOL I know you are angry because you got rejected this year but that doesn't mean you should undermine other programs (very immature). I know many people in bmsc who got into meds with 90s so maybe you don't deserve to be a doctor? If other degrees are so "easy", you should switch. Why do "hard" degrees if your goal is med school? What puzzles me the most is if you are in science, why are you scared of writing the MCAT? I'm in Honours Econ and I passed it easily.

Oh and trust me, you don't wanna go 1 vs 1 with me LOL. :D

What puzzles me the most is if you are in science, why are you scared of writing the MCAT? I'm in Honours Econ and I passed it easily.

I don't recall telling you or anyone else... that I am scared of writing the MCAT... wow... making assumptions... Good job!!! PASSING the MCAT that is!!! (Hopefully your 'passing' MCAT score can please the Caribbean colleges at the least)

I don't recall telling you or anyone for a fact that i was rejected... LOL

I don't recall telling you or anyone else... that I am scared of writing the MCAT... wow... making assumptions... Good job!!! PASSING the MCAT that is!!! (Hopefully your 'passing' MCAT score can please the Caribbean colleges at the least)

Why would I make assumptions? :eek: I'm commenting on what you posted on other threads. It's called using your resources son. You should try so you can get a higher mark in your almighty bmsc courses.

Stop being so bitter because you got rejected and don't blame your marks. It's your character and attitude that got you the rejection letter. And please, don't use "Carribean colleges" to insult others. It seems like you will probably end up there. ;) You clearly don't know what "passing" the MCAT means LOL. It pleases sask med and 2 others in Canada.

Au contraire :P

Alright, I'm sure your penises are of equally magnificent endowment!

Now, if I may add my two-cents. From your posts I understand that you are displeased with the concept of people getting accepted with backgrounds unrelated to medicine. I would encourage you to look at the bigger picture. While it can be argued that it is easier to achieve a more competitive 2 year average in certain programs, those of us who tough it out with a science background have a notable advantage in the long run.

I have been at this game for 5 years now, have applied 3 times and have met many people who are in every year of the med program. What I keep hearing from my friends within is that the more competitive residencies may not even look at you if you have no science background (or no degree at all). If one gets into medicine with a music degree and is comfortable with family medicine, then I see no reason to berate them for it. If said person wants to aim higher they have significant challenges ahead. The combined MD/MSc is their best shot to become competitive, although everyone I've talked to who considered grad training had a strong desire not to leave their classmates.

Getting into med school is only the beginning of your challenges. What you do to get in can affect your options down the road, so don't fret about those who take what you perceive to be a short-cut. Take the path that is right for you and be happy for everyone else who gets in too, otherwise, you may find med school to be a bit lonely should you express such opinions in person.

What I keep hearing from my friends within is that the more competitive residencies may not even look at you if you have no science background (or no degree at all).

LOL pretty sure your friends are dead wrong about this...

If undergraduate degree had this much impact on your residencies, med schools would strongly recommend you to have a science degree.

If undergraduate degree had this much impact on your residencies, med schools would strongly recommend you to have a science degree.

Wow... Ashley, it seems we are dealing with a retard here... mvp21 have you even read the admission pages for various universities... they say you can do any degree, but taking a degree pertaining to sciences is 'strongly recommended.' F##king retard... oh btw please stop making assumptions... oh, nice comebacks btw... are you gonna make momma jokes next? Heres some advice:

1) First of all, please remove your head from your:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhi3bmg7tJ1qa2d0s.gif

2) Get better comebacks... f##k it, look to the internet for some...

Seriously, wanna fight? Which year are you in? Give me an address and time... I'll be there...

haha maximum trolling David. I wont even bother with this again.

LOL I know you are angry because you got rejected this year but that doesn't mean you should undermine other programs (very immature). I know many people in bmsc who got into meds with 90s so maybe you don't deserve to be a doctor? If other degrees are so "easy", you should switch.

To the OP who is genuinely looking for advice, i would recommend you switch. From your previous posts, you seem to have a sub-85 average and i do think switching to kin will help raise that. Wrt to getting 95+ averages (to bring up your average in a single extra year), i would stick to BMSC/Pharm classes since there is a lot less subjectivity in MC tests. However, your 60s? average in BMSCs might be reason for concern and i recommend you try to identify why that is happening before you proceed any further.

Guess you are one of the f@$gots that does an easy degree?! Am I right? Don't worry, once August hits I won't have time to post...

"Stressful" is exactly the thing... less stress = better marks... Have you looked at the averages coming out of Kin? Compare that to majors like biochem... you'll see the difference easily... having experienced taking BMSC courses where finals were worth 65%... while my friends in econ/kin etc write a 40% final... as well studying the copious amount of information while my peers just had to study 1/4 of what I studied... as well the complexity of the material... Evidently leads to the conclusion that there is a huge difference in majors and there are majors where a high average is easily attainable...

At this point in time... I could care less about these "pre-med" issues...

Holy sh*t David, never thought I'd say this but well done bro.

For those of you hating on him, be honest.

Person A - Wants to do medicine, but is a slacker, doesn't want to stress out, likes to take the easy way out. *Cough* takes kin or econ degree all the while telling everyone "they love it!" (of course you do, you're getting 99% every damn class) and then applying after 2 years (woops!) and bam get in. Person A therefore screwing over people putting legit hardwork in trying to learn things that will help them become better doctors by learning to deal with copious amounts of stress. The admissions committee will say "Oh, but David! We need to keep the group diverse." Bullsh*t. Sure there may be ONE OR TWO MAX people who'll become great doctors because they do put in the hard work and will learn but stereotypes exist for a reason y'all.

Person B - Dedicated to medicine, joins degree that will help him/her build the best educational foundation for the future, but it'll be tough. Works his/her ballz off, only to be denied because the ad com needs to admit people from degrees like "Wine Tasting in the Okanagan" to maintain "diversity". But those people that took "Wine tasting in the okanagan" will tell you it was a kick ass degree and that they did not and never intended to apply. Fair enough, but we all know that they're taking advantage of the system. Kin, econ, music, etc. = better marks. Better marks = interview. Interview = get in.

"Oh, but David! The people that are brought in with diverse backgrounds will become just as good physicians!"

Well, as a patient myself that's dumb. I want people with solid science backgrounds, dedicated hardcore to that sh*t. And when they're done studying metabolic pathways and such they can study some more. And once they're done that and some other studying, IF THEY HAVE TIME, then sure! Go ahead, learn some econ. Read a Kin textbook. Learn a song on the piano.

Because the best doc's are the ones who come from dedicated science based backgrounds. You'll never find a leading doctor in any field with a MUSIC DEGREE. Sure maybe a dual degree, a minor or something. But no hiding the fact people are taking the easy way out and two things are happening.

1) They're defending themselves and aren't admitting it.

2) They seriously think it's fair.

I'm cool with the 1st one. Beating the system is pretty kick ass. Just like the movies. But the 2nd one. That ain't cool. Being delusional isn't gonna help anybody.

Pce out. :D

LOL... Thanks man! Feels good teaming up... lol... seriously better than you trolling me... hahaha... but there is legitimacy in what you said:

Analyze Mr. Chow here:

Believe it or not... the chinese guys a doc... and you could guess he might have done a degree in drama and then went into medicine... but no... researching further (using my resources you di#k sucking F@ggot [mvp21]) This guy did a science based degree (minored in drama) then went into medicine... in residency he began stand up comedy... thats what you call pursuing something outside the medical field for passion... You f##kers...

Suck my nuts b!tches! (YEAH YOU MVP21... YOU PIECE OF SH!T)

Also, the argument "listen to your heart, and take the degree that will give you happiness" is dumb.

Meet me.

I don't like psychology. Never will like psychology. I think it's bogus and common sense sprinkled in with some real science that I can learn from wikipedia. I take said psychology class because IT'S FLIPPING EASY NOT BECAUSE I LIKE IT.

I'll say that again. I take classes that are easy that may or may not be interesting to compensate for the hard science classes that will help me. Key word: Easy. Once that's established, then sure. Run along and find something that's interesting that falls under the category "Easy".

It's easy to say, "Oh! I'm in love with Kin or the beauty of economics". Ironically enough, we can use psychology to explain this. Or common sense lol. What's easy and will help you attain your goal, OF COURSE YOU'LL LIKE IT.

Oh, and about the residency thing regarding degrees. Yes, it's true. It's not a rumour that's been passed on like in high school. 4 year degrees, especially in science based degrees WILL help you have a SIGNIFICANT amount of distinction when it comes to residency selection.

This is why, sure if you wanna settle down in Moose Jaw, help a few people in a walk out clinic any degree you do can and will lead to that. However, if you want to work in the major hospitals in Vancouver, Toronto etc. you better have that 4 year anatomy and cell bio degree to back up your big talk.

Otherwise, they'll know all the while you know. You took the easy way. You had a good laugh, until it came back to tell you "sorry, neurosurgeon?? Nooooooooo, how about...family?".

God, I love being Devil's Advocate :D

LOL... Thanks man! Feels good teaming up... lol... seriously better than you trolling me... hahaha... but there is legitimacy in what you said:

Analyze Mr. Chow here:

Believe it or not... the chinese guys a doc... and you could guess he might have done a degree in drama and then went into medicine... but no... researching further (using my resources you di#k sucking F@ggot [mvp21]) This guy did a science based degree (minored in drama) then went into medicine... in residency he began stand up comedy... thats what you call pursuing something outside the medical field for passion... You f##kers...

Suck my nuts b!tches! (YEAH YOU MVP21... YOU PIECE OF SH!T)

Man what the heck, this is messed up. Why we have same sense of humour???

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/hungry-kim-jong-un-meme-240x180.jpg

I couldn't find one that fits the context, so I picked one that made me giggle lol.

If you’re in that boat I would recommend lurking around the CaRMS website. Many programs are vague with their selection criteria but some explicitly specify research experience (neurosurgery, pathology come to mind). Almost all programs require residents to undertake research during their training, therefore research experience will obviously make one more competitive otherwise. I should specify that “toughing it out” implied pursuing the highest achievement within one’s field (honours for undergrad which includes research training followed by grad training if not successful). You may be interested in viewing the R-1 match reports. Some positions have vacancies despite receiving applications.

If you’re in that boat I would recommend lurking around the CaRMS website. Many programs are vague with their selection criteria but some explicitly specify research experience (neurosurgery, pathology come to mind). Almost all programs require residents to undertake research during their training, therefore research experience will obviously make one more competitive otherwise. I should specify that “toughing it out” implied pursuing the highest achievement within one’s field (honours for undergrad which includes research training followed by grad training if not successful). You may be interested in viewing the R-1 match reports. Some positions have vacancies despite receiving applications.

That's good to know. The ones who take "easy" degrees just to get into medicine will more likely stick with Family Medicine and work in rural areas (where they desperately need physicians). Those who are ambitious enough to take science degrees and get research experience will more likely pursue specialties that are more competitive and prestigious.

Archived