Premed 101 Forums

Noncompetitive GPA as it Stands

It might be a little too early for this but I just finished second year and am a bit worried about my terrible first year marks...

Year I = 3.16 GPA

Year II = 3.8

This averages out to a 3.49. My whole first year was basically dragged down by a D+ in physics and the fact that I didn't study as I should have as my second year reflects. I've gone through and done the math and basically if I get 4.0 in my last two years, I should end up with a 3.74 (which is fairly competitive I would think).

I know I'll have to balance these out by killing MCAT and having strong EC's/references, but which schools would I have the best chance if my MCAT is decent and my GPA upon applying is around 3.6?

It might be a little too early for this but I just finished second year and am a bit worried about my terrible first year marks...

Year I = 3.16 GPA

Year II = 3.8

This averages out to a 3.49. My whole first year was basically dragged down by a D+ in physics and the fact that I didn't study as I should have as my second year reflects. I've gone through and done the math and basically if I get 4.0 in my last two years, I should end up with a 3.74 (which is fairly competitive I would think).

I know I'll have to balance these out by killing MCAT and having strong EC's/references, but which schools would I have the best chance if my MCAT is decent and my GPA upon applying is around 3.6?

If you do well in your next 2 years + good MCAT scores, you stand a chance at every Canadian Medical school :)

Well as in maintain my marks how they are now? I just get a bit discouraged cause I know my GPA at least will be on the lower end of the applicant's seeing how avg GPA at UofT last few years has been around 3.88 which I can never attain cause of that damned first year.

If its just a single course that dragged you down then keep in mind for Toronto they will remove your 1.0 of lowest credits per completed year prior to application. Hence, your wGPA will be much higher.

In addition, for schools that looks at the best two years or last two years you can still stand a very good chance.

For Ottawa, if you're applying in forth year, it might be very tough if you're not ottawa resident as you only have a 3.79 even if you get 4.0 next year.

Archived