Premed 101 Forums

low gpa advice

linux

due to health issues, i messed up my first year with my gpa ending up at ~2.5.

im not concerned with my gpa for when application time comes around because i know what I'm capable of. For many schools this year won't even matter (right?) and i get to drop 3 fces for uoft which would allow me to earn a max gpa of 3.92.

however, i am worried about the effects this awful year might have on other things that i might need for my application, such as research. so I'm wondering, am i totally screwed for pey or research opportunities or do i have a chance?

thanks. i go to uoft btw.

Refer to this thread. http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57723

For 2nd year research projects, yes you probably won't get any with that GPA. But you can get into the field of research by starting to volunteer in labs. Many labs will not mind volunteers :) Subsequently, apply for projects in your 2nd/3rd year summer if you do well.

But you can get into the field of research by starting to volunteer in labs. Many labs will not mind volunteers :) Subsequently, apply for projects in your 2nd/3rd year summer if you do well.

Yeah, i don't plan on doing research this year. However, for 3rd year, don't they look at the cgpa? mine would still be terrible no matter what.

And how do i volunteer at a lab? Do i just email a bunch of profs telling them I'm interested in volunteering? Where do i find this list of profs?

Yo,

As a graduate student I would say just to spam them all but make sure your subject line says volunteer in it. My supervisor trashes most of his emails without reading but if the subject is concise the email may get forwarded to me. Attach a resume and cover letter.

Anyway, for the location of email lists... well they should be online somewhere no? At UBC each department has it's own list so check physiology, anatomy, medicine, microbiology... etc.

Hey, I don't know how big the classes that you're in are (so this may be intimidating) but if you just go up to one of your prof's who you know does research and tell them you are interested / achieve in their class I think you could easily get acceptance from the prof themselves.

I was in a 30-40ish person cellular neuroscience class last semester and in the second week the prof talked about some cool nanoscience/neuroscience research that I thought was fascinating and after class I approached him about the topic and told him I'd be interested in researching that kind of thing over the summer with him if it was possible - I got the position (we did a little formal interview later in the semester) and he never even looked or asked for my resume, CV, or gpa.

The only issue I forsee is getting funding from external agencies (even if the prof would take you) as they would most likely take your cGPA but if the prof see's you're interested and put in the effort they may hire you out of their own pocket.

And for the volunteering like Llinx said - find the website for the department you want to do research in, find the faculty list (it'll give you the researchers names and what they do), pick people and email away.

Quickly found this - you could start here: http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/units/departments.htm

Archived