Premed 101 Forums

Do i have a decent shot?

Im a undergrad at western. An ontario resident

Considered IP for calgary (military)

First year GPA 3.59...yeah I know

Seccond year GPA 3.9

MCAT i will write this summer got 10 in verbal practice consistently

EC: in the army 2 years (lots of training), 2 years hospital volunteer, hospital coop (shadow surgeons), teaching kids to read at library, in university clubs, volunteer at homeless shelter .

Please be honest

Seccond year GPA 3.9

EC: in the army 2 years (lots of training), 2 years hospital volunteer, hospital coop (shadow surgeons), teaching kids to read at library, in university clubs, volunteer at homeless shelter .

Please be honest

The way you describe your EC and your letter of reference would be quite influential in whether or not you will land an interview. Your GPA (20%) is going to drag you behind a bit, but with a decent attribute score (60%) you will have a shot. Your 10 VR is probably around 50 percentile or a little above 50 percentile, so you are good there. Make sure your top 10 activities shows the 6 attributes they are looking for. I'd apply if I were you.

Seccond year GPA 3.9

Please be honest

Based on the activities you've provided, you will score very low on the research section (worth 10% pre interview), and probably on the lower end for the management section (worth 10% pre interview). A 10 VR will be average, and your GPA will be below average. You should always apply, because you (or anyone here) never really knows how you will score on the subjective sections (worth 70% pre interview - 60 for ECs and 10 for overall) but based on what you've provided, I personally am not convinced that you'll have a strong chance this year; however, since you are only going into third year, you have the potential to be a very strong applicant by the end of your degree if things do not work out first try.

The way you describe your EC and your letter of reference would be quite influential in whether or not you will land an interview. Your GPA (20%) is going to drag you behind a bit, but with a decent attribute score (60%) you will have a shot. Your 10 VR is probably around 50 percentile or a little above 50 percentile, so you are good there. Make sure your top 10 activities shows the 6 attributes they are looking for. I'd apply if I were you.

How would I approve my application? Would i be able to at least get an interview with these stats?

OP: Realistically, if it was OMSAS GPA you're talking about (your GPA may drop significantly when translated into the UofC scale) and that 10 VR, I think your chances are pretty slim as a 3rd year. Being IP might improve your chances, but you must bear in mind that 3rd years with much higher GPAs and better/more diverse ECs than yours did not get in. The system discriminates against 3rd years. You should apply this round (for the experience, if nothing else) but don't be disappointed if you don't get accepted.

I'm pretty sure being in the mo does not qualify you for in-province at Calgary or any institution.

I could be wrong, and others know the details better, but this consideration is for people who are posted and have no choice but to live where they do. GL

Depends on the school. I know a reservist who got in to UofC off the waitlist last year. UofM is for sure Reg Force (or class C reserve? don't know anyone that applied) ONLY. You need to show some kind of proof for sure, usually a letter from the CO should suffice.

Better to check with the school before applying and throwing your money away.

How would I approve my application? Would i be able to at least get an interview with these stats?

For each of the 6 attributes, list your EC under the applicable attribute see which list is the shortest. Do activities that can demonstrate/allow you to gain those attributes.

I'm pretty sure being in the mo does not qualify you for in-province at Calgary or any institution.

I could be wrong, and others know the details better, but this consideration is for people who are posted and have no choice but to live where they do. GL

If you look in the handbook it will state if u have been in the military for 2 years you are considered IP.

Archived