Premed 101 Forums

Which Sciences to take?

Hello all,

So I have been thinking about taking a few science credits since I haven't taken any science in uni. Which do you think would be the most helpful when it comes to 'actually using/needing' in medical schools? I'm not talking about MCAT but more along the lines of what is NEEDED to be able to do well and in essence be a ‘better doctor’ …..this is mostly out of curiosity but will also help shape which courses to take. Hopefully that makes sense? So for example, I know a lot of people take English or Psychology but I don’t think that you NEED those to be a good doctor (of course assuming that you can communicate well in English :P) I would assume that Biology is obviously 100% needed....but is Physics? Is organic chemistry? Sure its needed to 'get in' at a lot of places but will you ACTUALLY use it as a doctor? Or do you even really use it in medical school?

thanks! :)

I think understanding biology and chemistry would help (understanding how drugs work etc and the effect on the body), also I'm sure a course like anatomy would be useful...psychology too would be useful to help doctors deal with patients....

do you think physics and organic chem would be really important in your day to day as a doctor (or student)....especially physics/math....very much disliked it during high school (thanks to a lot of crappy teachers :P)I would obviously put up with it if I have to but....will I have to? :)

do you think physics and organic chem would be really important in your day to day as a doctor (or student)....especially physics/math....very much disliked it during high school (thanks to a lot of crappy teachers :P)I would obviously put up with it if I have to but....will I have to? :)

just take what interests you, that will ensure you do well in the course. you need to remember that medical schools are professional schools, everything you need to know to be a good doctor will be taught to you there and in residency. The trick is getting in! So just maintain a good GPA which is most easily done by taking course you like and are interested in. But if you really are keen on getting ahead, anatomy wouldnt hurt and neither would pharmacology or physiology

Archived