Premed 101 Forums

CEGEP/UNI/BAC/LANGUAGE what to chose ?

Hi,

I have 23 years old and would like to enroll in med school. I have read all the comments concerning the admissions, programs, universities yet I still have some questions to ask so I will appreciate any help.

1 - From what I have read ,the fastest way for me would be to go to a cegep and have a rate at nearly 34 to be accepted in a university. However at my age I already feel like a mature person and would feel uneasy going back to school with 18 years old high school students doing gym again... yes, here is a woman speaking...

I have already a DEC in sciences (baccalaureat scientique) since 2006, will it be enough to enroll directly in a uni or will I have to take the bac 120 ? And I have seen the stats in udem and they take more uni students than cegep ones.

2- Looks like everybody goes to the biology sciences program in undergrad and then apply in a med school. Math and physics in the biomed sciences and biochem sciences bac are so difficult and give such a bad gpa if one is not excellent in pure sciences ?

3- I fit in the international student category, and english is not my first language. That is why I want to start from the beginning since canadians schools hardly recognize "outside north america" diplomas for med schools.

What do you think is the best . I have think about it a long time and still wonder if I should go to cegep (2 years) or uni(4 years) ?

4-Whether it's cegep or uni I would love to become bilingual and want to go to an anglophone cegep or uni. Is it risky for the gpa or cote r , since I am not fluent in the language ?

THANKS.:)

Would you rather go to med school in Québec or is the rest of Canada okay with you? By your desire to become bilingual and the fact you have a bac, you must come from France :)

If you only want to go in Québec, you might have a lot more answers from people who know all the specifics about the Québec system (as it's different from the rest of Canada) in the Québec section of the forum. Repost there and it will be answer galore :D

Very very few international students are accepted. It would be best if you were able to immigrate to Quebec and obtain permanent resident status. If you cannot obtain this from abroad, I read recently in another thread about obtaining such status after getting a DEC here. Perhaps, this is a potential approach. Once you reside in Quebec with status you shall have resolved many issues.

Hi,

I have 23 years old and would like to enroll in med school. I have read all the comments concerning the admissions, programs, universities yet I still have some questions to ask so I will appreciate any help.

1 - From what I have read ,the fastest way for me would be to go to a cegep and have a rate at nearly 34 to be accepted in a university. However at my age I already feel like a mature person and would feel uneasy going back to school with 18 years old high school students doing gym again... yes, here is a woman speaking...

I have already a DEC in sciences (baccalaureat scientique) since 2006, will it be enough to enroll directly in a uni or will I have to take the bac 120 ? And I have seen the stats in udem and they take more uni students than cegep ones.

2- Looks like everybody goes to the biology sciences program in undergrad and then apply in a med school. Math and physics in the biomed sciences and biochem sciences bac are so difficult and give such a bad gpa if one is not excellent in pure sciences ?

3- I fit in the international student category, and english is not my first language. That is why I want to start from the beginning since canadians schools hardly recognize "outside north america" diplomas for med schools.

What do you think is the best . I have think about it a long time and still wonder if I should go to cegep (2 years) or uni(4 years) ?

4-Whether it's cegep or uni I would love to become bilingual and want to go to an anglophone cegep or uni. Is it risky for the gpa or cote r , since I am not fluent in the language ?

THANKS.:)

For Out-of-Quebec schools, the DEC s not a basis of admission, and I guess neither the French Bac. Completing a Bachelor could help you for the Quebec experience for immigration (but you need to check for this on Immigration Quebec's website).

Also, your Bac Francais is equivalent to a DEC.

Here are the prereqs for the holders of a Bac Francais:

http://www.futursetudiants.umontreal.ca/documents/pdf/guide_adm_hors_qc/international/France.pdf

Scroll down till you see "Sciences de la sante" and then "Medecine".

So yes, you can apply directly.

As for age in cegep, there's no age limit to cegep.

Would you rather go to med school in Québec or is the rest of Canada okay with you? By your desire to become bilingual and the fact you have a bac, you must come from France :)

If you only want to go in Québec, you might have a lot more answers from people who know all the specifics about the Québec system (as it's different from the rest of Canada) in the Québec section of the forum. Repost there and it will be answer galore :D

I am French,(didn't want to say it since we have quite a reputation:) ) that's why for the language and the advantages concerning the tuition I have chosen Quebec, Montréal . I will do so, thank you !

Very very few international students are accepted. It would be best if you were able to immigrate to Quebec and obtain permanent resident status. If you cannot obtain this from abroad, I read recently in another thread about obtaining such status after getting a DEC here. Perhaps, this is a potential approach. Once you reside in Quebec with status you shall have resolved many issues.

Indeed. I have read in all the universities's website about the permanent resident status. I can ask for it but it usually takes 18 months. People obtain first the certificate and then since they live, study and work in Canada they ask for the residency status. I shall search for more informations. However, maybe you do know if applying for winter 2013 in a uni for a bachelor in biology sciences will be seen the same as applying for a full time program?( since I read that some uni disregard applicants who didn't finish in due time) Anyway, thanks for the link, looks like the OP read my mind!

For Out-of-Quebec schools, the DEC s not a basis of admission, and I guess neither the French Bac. Completing a Bachelor could help you for the Quebec experience for immigration (but you need to check for this on Immigration Quebec's website).

Also, your Bac Francais is equivalent to a DEC.

Here are the prereqs for the holders of a Bac Francais:

http://www.futursetudiants.umontreal...nal/France.pdf

Scroll down till you see "Sciences de la sante" and then "Medecine".

So yes, you can apply directly.

As for age in cegep, there's no age limit to cegep.

Thanks, I have already seen this PDF file, so it confirms that I don't have to be a permanent resident to apply in undergrad and only 2 international students are accepted. As for cegep I don't need any status either.

But I am reluctant to go to a cegep for the DEC since I already hold the equivalence: baccalauréat scientifique. Going back to high school seems to be a waste of time.I intend to go directly in a university( which will give me enough time to become a permanent resident before the end of the bachelor) and then apply for the md. Talking about it: why UDEM has a bachelor in biology sciences (3 years) and other universities ( 4 years). How is it possible ?

Indeed. I have read in all the universities's website about the permanent resident status. I can ask for it but it usually takes 18 months. People obtain first the certificate and then since they live, study and work in Canada they ask for the residency status. I shall search for more informations. However, maybe you do know if applying for winter 2013 in a uni for a bachelor in biology sciences will be seen the same as applying for a full time program?( since I read that some uni disregard applicants who didn't finish in due time) Anyway, thanks for the link, looks like the OP read my mind!

Thanks, I have already seen this PDF file, so it confirms that I don't have to be a permanent resident to apply in undergrad and only 2 international students are accepted. As for cegep I don't need any status either.

But I am reluctant to go to a cegep for the DEC since I already hold the equivalence: baccalauréat scientifique. Going back to high school seems to be a waste of time.I intend to go directly in a university( which will give me enough time to become a permanent resident before the end of the bachelor) and then apply for the md. Talking about it: why UDEM has a bachelor in biology sciences (3 years) and other universities ( 4 years). How is it possible ?

If you can apply for immigrant status in Quebec while in cegep and obtain it by the time you apply to med school as a cegepien, you won't be wasting your time, rather using it to greatest effect. Because, if you get into med school from cegep as a permanent resident living in Quebec, you are way ahead of the game.

Sometimes, the shortest route to one's goal is not obvious.

And if you don't get in, you have 2 bites of the apple, i.e., you go for a bac and try again.

Archived