Premed 101 Forums

Concordia-UWO

arvin0

Got accepted to

-UWO-Biomed

-Concordia exercise science with Specialization in Clinical Exercise Physiology.

here is the pros and cons:

Pls share if you have anything to add to it

Concordia

Pros:

1. Know a few people who got into the medical/dental school they wanted
  2. Smaller- more supportive
  3. Montreal- nice city- won't get too bored, even though I should be studying 24/7
  4. Kin is very interesting & hands on major
  5. Apparently easier to obtain a high GPA

Cons:

• The campus is far from the city- inconvenient for doing ECs
  • Apparently there is no structured medical committee
  • Concordia has a GPA of 4.3 which means that you get scaled down when converted to other universities
  • The course is 3 years - some dental/medical school require 4 years undergrad

UWO

Pros:

• If I survive their biomed degree I have a good change of getting into their medical/dental school
  • Stronger programme in terms of preparation for medical/dental schools..although I am painfully aware of that no schools care about it
  • Apparently better advisors for pre-med/dent

CONS:

• I have this impression that it is way harder than the major in concordia-well way harder to obtain a high GPA
  • City is not too crazy..apparently not much to do in london

Got accepted to

-UWO-Biomed

-Concordia exercise science with Specialization in Clinical Exercise Physiology.

Concordia

Pros:

3. Montreal- nice city- won't get too bored, even though I should be studying 24/7

Cons:

• Concordia has a GPA of 4.3 which means that you get scaled down when converted to other universities

UWO

Pros:

• If I survive their biomed degree I have a good change of getting into their medical/dental school
  • Stronger programme in terms of preparation for medical/dental schools..although I am painfully aware of that no schools care about it

CONS:

• I have this impression that it is way harder than the major in concordia-well way harder to obtain a high GPA

I can tell you that you're completely wrong about UWO.

Doing a degree here will not make you more competitive for admission to Schulich. All schools will prepare you for medical school. The advisors you speak of? Where have they been hiding those?

There is not much to do in London? HA! I have more fun in London than I do in downtown Toronto.

That being said, UWO undergrad was the BEST decision I ever made.

Cons:

Not exactly sure what you mean by the first one, if you could elaborate would appreciate.

Also the 4.3 scale is not a bad thing.

To my knowledge, if you were to get an A+ at mcgill you would 90% +, same for concordia, so it comes back to the same thing really.

Got accepted to

-UWO-Biomed

Concordia

Pros:

Cons:

UWO

Pros:

CONS:

It's a no brainer. :P Your cons are wrong.

Not exactly sure what you mean by the first one, if you could elaborate would appreciate.

Also the 4.3 scale is not a bad thing.

To my knowledge, if you were to get an A+ at mcgill you would 90% +, same for concordia, so it comes back to the same thing really.

McGill doesn't have A+s.

The best thing to do is to check the OMSAS conversion table.

Got accepted to

-UWO-Biomed

Concordia

Pros:

Cons:

UWO

Pros:

CONS:

It's 3 years because cegep = first year of bachelor. If you didn't do cegep, ES will take you 4 years.

UWO is a great school for undergrad. Biomed is not as hard as people make it out to be, there are many modules to choose between so you can find something that you like/can be successful in. There is a tremendous amount of volunteer opportunities, and world class research facilities if you can get in on them.

London can be pretty fun - for students, downtown is usually alive with students and you'll meet a ton of people during O-Week.

Your chances of going to Western are no better if you do undergrad at Western than anywhere else however, as others have already said.

The campus is smack-dab in the middle of downtown Montreal. In my view, it is very convenient for ECs. :)

Actually, I think ES is at the Loyola campus, a little bit removed from downtown. Still though, it takes at most 30 minutes to get to downtown from NDG/Loyola. Also, Concordia has a shuttle bus that transports students between campuses.

The campus is smack-dab in the middle of downtown Montreal. In my view, it is very convenient for ECs. :)

Am guessing you are going to Concordia..you mind adding some pros and cons! :)

It's 3 years because cegep = first year of bachelor. If you didn't do cegep, ES will take you 4 years.

I read a lil bit about it..still not 100% sure I get the idea..it is a year shorter in secondary school and also a year shorter in post-secondary school?

UWO is a great school for undergrad. Biomed is not as hard as people make it out to be, there are many modules to choose between so you can find something that you like/can be successful in.

London can be pretty fun - for students, downtown is usually alive with students and you'll meet a ton of people during O-Week.

Yh I managed to actually see a few exam papers-lecture notes off UWO..and that doesn't seem to be very hard..although it was for first year dunno if that is going to be extremely varied as we progress to next years

There is a tremendous amount of volunteer opportunities, and world class research facilities if you can get in on them.

Can you be a lil bit more specific..so is it something that I miss if I go to Concordia

Your chances of going to Western are no better if you do undergrad at Western than anywhere else however, as others have already said.

You are talking about schulich right...cuz I know that is true for UBC undergrads

Actually, I think ES is at the Loyola campus, a little bit removed from downtown. Still though, it takes at most 30 minutes to get to downtown from NDG/Loyola. Also, Concordia has a shuttle bus that transports students between campuses.

Dunno what ES is but only today I found out about the Shuttle bus..and apparently it's free of charge

I can tell you that you're completely wrong about UWO.

Doing a degree here will not make you more competitive for admission to Schulich. All schools will prepare you for medical school. The advisors you speak of? Where have they been hiding those?

There is not much to do in London? HA! I have more fun in London than I do in downtown Toronto.

That being said, UWO undergrad was the BEST decision I ever made.

Like I said in the other post ..that was not my opinion/experience but I took peoples advice as granted ..glad that you are saying it's wrong so I can make the right decision

pls add some cons/prons..

Also is that not true then that UWO s more organised and prepared for pre med/dent student

Also is that not true then that UWO s more organised and prepared for pre med/dent student

ES = Exercise Science :P

I don't know what your above statement means. I organized myself. I took my courses. All my ECs/volunteering were not campus or university related. I did my own thing, was a loner as a student, and it all worked out.

If you are not from Quebec, not doing Cegep, then undergrad will be 4 years instead of the usual program for students brought up in the Quebec system. We do our prerequisites @ Cegep. So, if you are from out of province, you need to determine the requirements of the med schools of potential interest and ensure you take them.

Like I said in the other post ..that was not my opinion/experience but I took peoples advice as granted ..glad that you are saying it's wrong so I can make the right decision

pls add some cons/prons..

Pros? It's Western... come on now. If you work hard, you can do very well and get great grades. Anything 80+ at UWO equals 4.0/4.0 scale for AMCAS. I learned way cooler material, more relevant stuff than any of my other friends at other schools (especially American schools).

One of my buds went to a VERY prestigious undergrad in the USA, I knew what a G protein and a GPCR and how saltatory conduction ACTUALLY worked... in second year. He didn't touch that stuff until 4th year.

My 4th year physiology courses? Probably out of the scope of medical school at some level, but I learned how to learn using primary sources, OTHER than textbooks. Reading journal articles, and being able to take concepts learned in a textbook and synthesizing...? Probably my most invaluable skill. You'll soon realize, nothing works as ideally as in your intro physiology class.

All my friends that were 2-3 years older, were VERY prepared for medical school having completely medical sciences/physiology/biochem at UWO.

Cons? None. No seriously... there are none. I guess, well... first and second year classes can be a bit large. But honestly, I think that is such an irrelevant point.

"Waaaaah waaaaahhh, the class is too big, the prof doesn't give me any personal attention, so that's why I got a D in intro biology...."

(Seriously... that is the lamest excuse I've ever heard)

Good luck, make your decision wisely. University is what you make of it.

Pros? It's Western... come on now. If you work hard, you can do very well and get great grades. Anything 80+ at UWO equals 4.0/4.0 scale for AMCAS. I learned way cooler material, more relevant stuff than any of my other friends at other schools (especially American schools).

One of my buds went to a VERY prestigious undergrad in the USA, I knew what a G protein and a GPCR and how saltatory conduction ACTUALLY worked... in second year. He didn't touch that stuff until 4th year.

My 4th year physiology courses? Probably out of the scope of medical school at some level, but I learned how to learn using primary sources, OTHER than textbooks. Reading journal articles, and being able to take concepts learned in a textbook and synthesizing...? Probably my most invaluable skill. You'll soon realize, nothing works as ideally as in your intro physiology class.

All my friends that were 2-3 years older, were VERY prepared for medical school having completely medical sciences/physiology/biochem at UWO.

Cons? None. No seriously... there are none. I guess, well... first and second year classes can be a bit large. But honestly, I think that is such an irrelevant point.

"Waaaaah waaaaahhh, the class is too big, the prof doesn't give me any personal attention, so that's why I got a D in intro biology...."

(Seriously... that is the lamest excuse I've ever heard)

Good luck, make your decision wisely. University is what you make of it.

Hahah..yeeey am coming lol

Hmm I know a lil bit about saltatory conduction and local current :rolleyes: but that's all because I've done A-levels(UK)

Really it is almost the only thing that holds me back from firming UWO choice..I am worried that classes are too big so I'll be like a number to them

Of course if I was a super genius I didn't need to worry about self teaching myself

Hmm I wouldn't worry about the whole big classes thing. Realistically, you're just as unlikely to feel comfortable asking a question in a two hundred person class as in an eight hundred person class (the maximum at Western). The profs stand up at the front, they lecture, you write notes - nbd :). If you have questions for a prof, there are always office hours. Also, supposedly the classes get smaller by fourth year or so. (Maybe third year as well? Unsure.)

I honestly think the biggest issue should be whether you ultimately want to do biomed, which is quite science-y, or exercise science, which is quite different. They can both potentially lead to medicine, but the other possible careers from both are different. Just the material and the learning skills you need are also quite different.

McGill doesn't have A+s.

The best thing to do is to check the OMSAS conversion table.

Just checked this http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

and according to that Mcgill doesn;t have A+..but that was only for Mcgill tho..UBC-Alberta-Western do have A+

so what does it mean..is that a -ve point for Concordia then-If I want to apply to Mcgill

Archived