Premed 101 Forums

Lost my drive

Yo everybody,

So I finished my first year with excellent marks, got pretty lazy near the end but for the few exams I didn't do as well on my mark was kept high by my midterms. This summer I decided to take chemistry and bio as I didn't take them during the year. I just finished the chemistry course and man oh man, I've essentially spent 6 weeks doing absolutely nothing, went to 2 classes total (out of 30), wake up at 5pm and go to bed at 10am, eat ****ty food, stopped working out, did a pitiful amount of studying... luckily I'd say I'm somewhat intelligent so the marks I've gotten aren't horrifyingly bad but they are certainly not med school material.

I don't really know what's gone wrong. I'm just so lazy these days, I feel completely flat and I have no motivation to do anything. I'm not depressed, I just feel "meh" if you know what I mean. During the year I wouldn't say it was too much different, maybe it was just living on residence and being in the middle of that energetic atmosphere kept me in a groove, but I dunno, I've just lost all of my "juice" for doing anything, school in particular. Was wondering if anyone had any advice. Right now all I really want to do is get good marks, I don't care what I have to do to push myself. I can always change my reasons later, but I have to keep my doors open for now. I believe I do have a rock solid reason to become a doctor, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be pushing me to do anything. Sorry for rambling.

You need a break.

Go back to the gym, eat right, sit out in the sun by the pool... any pool will do.

Don't lose hope. Good luck!

Agreed. Even if you think you "have no time" definitely do not stop working out and eating right. Paradoxically, I find that exercise keeps me alert and focused throughout the day (and is awesome for getting to sleep when you're supposed to)...and your diet makes a world of a difference in terms of maintaining energy levels and keeping a mellow mood.

this happens to everyone, the key to success is getting back up, i learned guitar on my 8th try, lost 70 pounds on attempt 12… failure is the key to success and quite natural… just ease back in, find a good balance to optimize your emotional and physical health, these are so important in academic performance and you're reward circuits (catecholamine tran, dat receptor density etc in mesolimbic, cingulate gyrus, prefrontal) an hr of running is equiv to 9 mg methylphenidate daily in endogenously produced catecholamines which are equivalent to say the reuptake inhibition, maobi activity, and increased release you get from taking a pill… plus enkephalins, better sleep reg… sex drive ;) make life seem a lot more fun and studying way easier.

Yo everybody,

I don't really know what's gone wrong. I'm just so lazy these days, I feel completely flat and I have no motivation to do anything. I'm not depressed, I just feel "meh" if you know what I mean. During the year I wouldn't say it was too much different, maybe it was just living on residence and being in the middle of that energetic atmosphere kept me in a groove, but I dunno, I've just lost all of my "juice" for doing anything, school in particular. Was wondering if anyone had any advice. Right now all I really want to do is get good marks, I don't care what I have to do to push myself. I can always change my reasons later, but I have to keep my doors open for now. I believe I do have a rock solid reason to become a doctor, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be pushing me to do anything. Sorry for rambling.

I know what you mean. I am going through this right now.

I second the above posts: take a break and recharge. Have some fun. Another thing that I found works for me is to do something different; like do work or beef up ECs but nothing remotely academic. This way come September, I will be ready for the new school year.

are you passionate about anything in health care, improving cancer care… when grades are a means rather than ends it gets easy… utilize emotion… when organic chem is a means to getting to a position to change cancer care for example it's easy… to get some letter on paper… who gives a ****… maybe you wanna buy your parents a house to retire… anything that you can identify with and feel passionate about will give you much more motivation.

life is meant to be lived with passion, to be lived, purpose makes learning bs you don't care about easy, because the ends are a real life event, im writing a book right now, it's easy as ****, most things i do now are, because i don't do things i can't tie to real life, that will have consequences that drive me. you say u have a reason… find another one… find something you're so passionate about and find how medicine can affect that. i'm a pretty stupid guy, but blood, guts, and passion motivation has been my blessing, my advantage is im tireless, sometimes obsessive, because i'm not doing anything to look good anymore, i get told i'm a genius everyday and can strike up conversations with anyone, i don't have to… but in first year school sucked lot more, by third year i was debating profs for classes on end in front of 300 ppl because i found something i gave a **** about, and she couldn't tell me to shut up, i knew my **** more than her, we're actually good friends still, not like i'm trying to be showy, but she was misrepresenting things out of ignorance, so going home and overkilling it was easy, because i'd seen horrible things occur as a result of people believing her simple framework of the material she was presenting… i thought, u know, if no one sais anything, 1 or 2 people might not hear a discerning opinion and end up like other people who suffered because they didn't know any better, so read 20 articles in 2 days… i know her, she reads text b4 class, it wasn't the typical premed cockfight, it was a you have a responsibility to present all angles of issue, and you can't silence me, because my info is more in depth, empirical… i would never do that to get a letter grade higher, but a's come as a nice side effect of that more emotional motivation

it's not for everyone, but it's potent as **** if you can find a motivator in you

Yo everybody,

So I finished my first year with excellent marks, got pretty lazy near the end but for the few exams I didn't do as well on my mark was kept high by my midterms. This summer I decided to take chemistry and bio as I didn't take them during the year. I just finished the chemistry course and man oh man, I've essentially spent 6 weeks doing absolutely nothing, went to 2 classes total (out of 30), wake up at 5pm and go to bed at 10am, eat ****ty food, stopped working out, did a pitiful amount of studying... luckily I'd say I'm somewhat intelligent so the marks I've gotten aren't horrifyingly bad but they are certainly not med school material.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived