Premed 101 Forums

Bioc 302 vs Bioc 303

Hi, I have a question regarding UBC biochem requirements.

As the title says, I'm deciding between bioc 302 and bioc 303, and I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I already looked up previous threads using search function, but a lot of them were back in year 2005/2006, and I've heard that there have been changes in biochem courses at UBC so I was hoping that someone who took them in recent years could offer their 2 cents.

Class average wise, Bioc 303 seems better but then, those grade distributions can be misleading.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BIOC303 is a pretty standard pure memorization course if I remember correctly.. at least I found it that way. Quite a bit of writing on the exams though. Having a few different professors teach different parts of the course was nice, if for nothing else but a change in monotonous voice =).

I also had to choose between these two courses. I have no experience with BIOC302, but I can contribute my thoughts about 303.

I disliked having 4 different profs because it made it hard to tailor my studying. In other classes I could use the midterm to predict the types of questions and focus of that particular prof in order to streamline how I studied for the final exam, but you can't do that in BIOC303 because they keep switching.

The second thing that irked me was the "PBL" system that Dr Mayor introduced for his section of the course last year. It was incredibly poorly done. Putting aside the fact that Mayor is an absolute tool, the "PBL" degenerated into: 1. Reading and memorizing whole chapters of the textbook BEFORE the first lecture, 2. Test on the first day of his section of the course, and 3. Five to six lectures of answering poorly made MC questions (not worth marks) in class. Rinse and repeat thrice. The only saving grace is that using scratchcards for tests instead of fill-in-the-bubble forms is kinda fun. If I had known they were going to use us as guinea pigs for this new teaching style, I would have taken 302 instead for sure.

The following paragraph assumes you want to go to a professional program and don't want to see your grades drop. If this is not the case, please disregard it. Although the grades distribution in 303 is slightly better, you should remember that you will be competing against Bioc majors on their home turf, whereas BIOC302 is for people who are majoring in other areas. That being said, I think you learn a lot more in BIOC303. If you have stellar grades (90+ avg) then you should be fine no matter what, otherwise I would recommend 302.

Archived